Preparing for Whole30-CHEAP ideas

Taleena Ratliff

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting - I have not had good luck at all with those close-to-sell-by-date meats. I won't go into details, but I'd suggest a sniff test in the parking lot (not in the store, too many competing smells) before going home, in case you have to return it. That may have to do with my geography, too - possibly once it reaches the sell-by date it's actually older than it would be elsewhere.

If you have access to a farmers market with actual farmers, as opposed to those that just truck in the same produce from Florida that you can find in the supermarket, start talking up the meat vendors. I can get beef heart for $2 for the entire heart because no one else wants it. i have to email him a few days in advance and he'll bring it for me. Another will bring in beef tongue when I ask. Liver is usually $2 a pound.

buying bulk meat is a tremendous way to save money. We have a half hog and quarter beef in our freezer and it has cut our food budget down more than anything else I've done.

When we move back out of my parents place, I'm definitely doing this (although for me it will be beef and/or lamb)

Interesting - I have not had good luck at all with those close-to-sell-by-date meats. I won't go into details, but I'd suggest a sniff test in the parking lot (not in the store, too many competing smells) before going home, in case you have to return it. That may have to do with my geography, too - possibly once it reaches the sell-by date it's actually older than it would be elsewhere.

The ones I find at albertsons are one day before sell by date that still gives you 3 days to use or freeze. I always cook it up the day I buy it just in case. Never an odd smell to be had...thank goodness.

I never thought I'd enjoy frozen vegetables, but store-brand bags of frozen cauliflower, spinach and broccoli have become my friends. there's a lot in there and they aren't bad. The cauliflower works especially well when boiled and then pureed; broccoli I have as is (sometimes boiled, drained and then sauteed with coconut oil and garlic); spinach, thawed and squeezed dry, is a very good filler to add to ground meat and egg dishes,and you get a lot of spinach for the $$ compared with fresh.

The ones I find at albertsons are one day before sell by date that still gives you 3 days to use or freeze. I always cook it up the day I buy it just in case. Never an odd smell to be had...thank goodness.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I do think it has something to do with my geography. There is local beef available, but I haven't used it yet - just getting the hang of locally sourcing foods. Always something new to learn! (Oddly enough, where I live, as I learn to source locally bit by bit, I'm finding that it's much cheaper - who knew?)

I never thought I'd enjoy frozen vegetables, but store-brand bags of frozen cauliflower, spinach and broccoli have become my friends. there's a lot in there and they aren't bad. The cauliflower works especially well when boiled and then pureed; broccoli I have as is (sometimes boiled, drained and then sauteed with coconut oil and garlic); spinach, thawed and squeezed dry, is a very good filler to add to ground meat and egg dishes,and you get a lot of spinach for the $$ compared with fresh.

I need to try this. Hadn't thought about frozen veggies...

I need to spend more time in the freezer aisle. Walmart freezer aisle here I come. :)

I just made homemade mayonnaise and homemade ranch dressing. It cost pennies on the dollar compared to the storebought versions, and I know exactly what's in them. Really tasty, too.

For mayo I use the recipe in the video I talk about here on my blog: http://makingspacethejourneyout.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-homemade-mayonnaise/

For the ranch dressing I used the version in the Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook. (Next time I'll use less garlic, and add cooked crumbled bacon.)

If you have access to a farmers market with actual farmers, as opposed to those that just truck in the same produce from Florida that you can find in the supermarket, start talking up the meat vendors. I can get beef heart for $2 for the entire heart because no one else wants it. i have to email him a few days in advance and he'll bring it for me. Another will bring in beef tongue when I ask. Liver is usually $2 a pound.

I have the opportunity to get a grass fed heart (not telling anyone in my family yet lol), but have no idea how to cook it. Any suggestions? All the recipes I have found involve breading, and I am staying away from nut flours so that is out. Thanks! :)

I just made homemade mayonnaise and homemade ranch dressing. It cost pennies on the dollar compared to the storebought versions, and I know exactly what's in them. Really tasty, too.

For mayo I use the recipe in the video I talk about here on my blog: http://makingspaceth...ade-mayonnaise/

For the ranch dressing I used the version in the Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook. (Next time I'll use less garlic, and add cooked crumbled bacon.)

I made this mayonnaise (sooo easy with a stick blender) and thanks to your suggestion made homemade dressing last night - it was fantastic and I have always detested mayonnaise and creamy dressing that do not include blue cheese. Now I am thinking about wasabi mayonnaise, black olive mayonnaise, etc.

I have the opportunity to get a grass fed heart (not telling anyone in my family yet lol), but have no idea how to cook it. Any suggestions? All the recipes I have found involve breading, and I am staying away from nut flours so that is out. Thanks! :)

I roasted it at 350 with salt and olive oil for 70 minutes. It is like the richest, best roast beef you'll ever taste. There is little bit of a hard outer layer but you can trim that away once you're done cooking. I like to eat it straight. I also like to cube it after it's been cooked, crisp it up in some lard, add salsa, cilantro and lime juice and you've got taco fillings. I add rice for my husband and eat mine with shredded lettuce.

I am a very basic whole30'er/clean eater. I feed a family of five, which includes a hungry husband and several teenagers, on about $400 a month. Sometimes it's $500 depending on meat prices and if my husband has any overtime pay on his check LOL. We eat a TON of produce.

I only buy what's on sale and I always fill the cart with produce first. Grass fed anything is NOT in my budget so I have to make do with what I can find and trim the fat, etc. I don't buy anything like almond flour or coconut aminos or whatever. My only indulgent extravagance is almond butter and only when it's on sale. I've done two super successful w30's on a super tight budget.

At first it was only the two of us and I could afford grass-fed and everything organic but a friend of ours is living with us now. He has been in and out of the hospital for the past two years. He lost everything.. house, job and finally depleted any money he had saved/401k. We invited him to stay with us until he gets back on his feet. I am hoping that clean eating will help him with his health issues.

At first it was only the two of us and I could afford grass-fed and everything organic but a friend of ours is living with us now. He has been in and out of the hospital for the past two years. He lost everything.. house, job and finally depleted any money he had saved/401k. We invited him to stay with us until he gets back on his feet. I am hoping that clean eating will help him with his health issues.

What a lovely thing to do.

Are these from grassfed/grass finished animals? If so, where are these farmer's markets?

Terez

My super cheap meal that will feed me twice (my hubby won't like it, but he's not here haha!):

1. Slice alliums (sounds so fancy!) - I had shallots, so I sliced four of them thin and sauteed them in coconut oil

2. Add veggies - mine today was 3 leftover portabello mushrooms and a frozen carrot/broccoli/cauliflower mix

3. Add protein - my original plan was pulled pork but it'd gone bad so I put in a little bit of ground beef

4. Add eggs - I used 8 eggs because that left me one for mayo and two for future meals

Once the eggs are added, pop it in the oven...mine was somewhere between 350F and 400F (I'd had it originally on 400F, but decided at the last minute to turn it down) until the eggs are done.

It was delicious! Although I ate half of it...this travel I'd done this past weekend left me craving veggies. And real, good food and fat that wasn't nuts.

Sharon, that is so kind of you. I have a feeling you are one of those people who have a huge stash of good karma in the soul bank. :)

Not so sure about that but it was the right thing to do. He has been here a couple months and I think it's helping. He really needs to lose weight for his condition to even start improving. At first he was like, you guys can just buy me pasta and sauce, I can live on that so you guys don't have to cheat yourselves. I was like.. NO .. just no.. we all eat whatever I cook, end of story.. even if it means less organic foods/meats, so be it. He needs to get well, ya know? Soups and stews go along way to feed three adults. And it's amazing the dishes I can conjure with ground beef. LOL Thank goodness for Costco and Sams, they are truly a lifesaver at times.

I try to be a good person, sometimes it's hard but my parents always told me to extend a kind hand because you never know when you might need one yourself. That's how I view Melissa and Dallas.. they shared their knowledge with us to make us healthier, stronger and happier people. Yes, you can buy the book, but you don't have to spend a dime to get the information you need to begin to improving your life. :)

I try to be a good person, sometimes it's hard but my parents always told me to extend a kind hand because you never know when you might need one yourself.

I have been on a kindness crusade for the longest time and wholeheartedly agree! Plus you never know what battle someone is fighting and if you are kind than maybe that might make their shitastic day a tiny bit better..

Another vote for frozen vegetables! They're perfect in recipes like stew (or soup, or curry, or a slow-cooked creation...) where you won't feel like you're missing out on the crispness of fresh veggies.

Canned sardines are also inexpensive and wonderful for you. I especially like them warm, with a fried egg on top!

• 2 weeks later...

i was excited to find grass fed meat from a local family owned/operated farm at my farmer's market last summer and they gave me a lb and a half of meat for $1 less than the listed per pound price and i wondered if i could get liver and such if i asked...he didn't have any with him, but i'm betting that if i talk to him this summer i can ask about tongue and liver and such. i love getting to know the farmers.

Archived