Food Allergy: Corn

First, yes, I know we are not supposed to eat corn. However, when my son is at friends houses, they understand no gluten, but not no corn so they will make him corn pasta or have tacos for him. They are so nice about trying to help that I don't want to push the issue so we were trying more of the Dr. Cordain 90% Paleo diet and thought some corn would be ok although we won't budge on the gluten.

However, I think every time my son eats corn, the next day he has an emotional breakdown. Over random things like he didn't do well in a soccer game or in a video game. He just looses it and cries for hours. Yes, hours.

Has anyone heard of this being a symptom of a corn allergy? And, 24 hours later? I am used to food allergy reactions happening up to 8 hours after eating the food.

I know I need to eat Paleo to keep my bipolar under control but I really have no idea what grains bother me as any straying away from Paleo seems to make me a mess so I have not tried to test individual things.

Thanks!

Are you positive all they are feeding him is corn? My daughter has a similar reaction to sugar, and I think that vegetable oils mess with my mood too. It's weird and hard to pinpoint, but I'm pretty convinced with both reactions.

If you're so sensitive to food, it is possible your son is just as sensitive. I'm very sensitive to food too, and I wonder if I've passed that on to my kid. Maybe this is not an allergy, but it might just throw his hormone balances off just enough to really make him feel off or miserable.

Probably not at all helpful, but I can relate to what you're dealing with.

RevKT -

Is it possible that he's getting corn syrup in the mix, too? My 4 year old is only very slightly sensitive to corn in most of it's forms, but corn syrup sends her off the rails. She describes it as feeling like she's "never going to go to Disneyworld again." I know it's 4 year old speak, but to me that means "irrational fear and disappointment".

I say all that to say that food sensitivities can manifest in all kinds of forms and it might be worth it to mention to your friends that you think he might have an allergy. Ask them to avoid giving him corn for awhile and then retest it at home so you can closely control what he gets - form of corn, added ingredients, etc.

That's just my thought.

Archived