Paleo Breakfast

Ancestral Foodie

Hey - does anyone have any suggestions of what to eat for breakfast if I can't stomach eggs or meat that early? Basically I can't do anything cooked or rich. I'm a cereal, yoghurt & fruit kind of person and are trying to see if I can re-create this in a paleo way - so it doesn't involve meat (or poultry, seafood & fish) or eggs (in any form!).

I thought I could try coyo coconut yoghurt, banana and nuts, but have since found out that xylitol is off the list too (as it's corn based). Help!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Trying to recreate your old habits with new foods is not acceptable during a Whole30. And unless you are a vegetarian following the vegetarian Whole30 protocol, yogurt is not on the menu. You might want to review the details of the Whole30 guidelines...

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5-the-official-whole30%C2%AE-program/

Hmmmm, okay thanks for that, however I know dairy yoghurt is not a Paleo food, it's coconut yoghurt - I thought I had highlighted that. It's the xylitol that's the non paleo part in it.

I don't want to eat eggs or any form of meat for breakfast, which is why I was putting it on this forum. We're all different and just because most people like to eat bacon & eggs or left overs from last night's dinnder for breakfast, I don't.

I'm just asking for some help here, not condemnation. Thanks.

Just wondering - why do you say you can't stomach meat or eggs that early? (Maybe your body just isn't used to it?) Before going paleo I was eating cereal for breakfast pretty daily..and the thought of eating an actual meal with meat and veggies sounded disgusting. But now I'm completely used to it and sometimes have leftovers for breakfast. (This morning..chicken + veggies.)

My transition from breakfasts of english muffins with peanut butter, oatmeal, or yogurt and granola was a rocky one. I literally felt nauseous after breakfast for quite a few days. Like gatork said, it may just be something you need to try and then get used to it.

I don't think Tom was condemning you, rather just clarifying on why the question you are asking does not seem to fit within the whole30 guidelines.

Have you tried whipping coconut milk? You could have some berries with whipped coconut cream, but then you are still going to need to find some protein in that meal. Skipping out on that will significantly derail your whole30 efforts, but that is just from my experience.

Interesting that this post was at the top today. I too need some help with breakfast. My hubby and I still are feeling a significant energy drop late morning. We reviewed what we had been eating: protein-check, fruit-check, fat-check (cooking eggs or meat), but we are way short on vegetables. If it is a Saturday or Sunday where we have time to cook, we can add to an omelet, but we need some ideas on vegi's for on the run breakfasts.

Our biggest obstacle is that most of what we have tried leaves us feeling nauseous. I had thought of celery with some peanut butter (no fillers or sugar), but then last night I was reading that peanuts are a big no-no. Now I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even some type of bake we can make up ahead of time and re-heat at work???

Thanks!

LaDeb, how about a fritatta? You can make ahead and heat at work. Spinach, kale and mushrooms seem to be my breakfast veggie go to. I steam saute a bunch every week and then grab a pile and throw a bunch in a pan with ghee in the mornings. You can even add it to scrambled eggs for a quick brekkie. Or...sweet potatoes?

Interesting that this post was at the top today. I too need some help with breakfast. My hubby and I still are feeling a significant energy drop late morning. We reviewed what we had been eating: protein-check, fruit-check, fat-check (cooking eggs or meat), but we are way short on vegetables. If it is a Saturday or Sunday where we have time to cook, we can add to an omelet, but we need some ideas on vegi's for on the run breakfasts.

Our biggest obstacle is that most of what we have tried leaves us feeling nauseous. I had thought of celery with some peanut butter (no fillers or sugar), but then last night I was reading that peanuts are a big no-no. Now I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even some type of bake we can make up ahead of time and re-heat at work???

Thanks!

A few ideas:

http://paleomg.com/5-ingredient-breakfast-stuffed-acorn-squash/

http://paleomg.com/easy-crockpot-breakfast-pie/

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/entrees/pork/zucchini-breakfast-casserole/

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/breakfast/sweet-potato-scramble/

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/breakfast/tomato-frittatas/

http://spicypaleo.blogspot.com/2011/12/crock-pot-breakfast-casserole.html

I used to eat basically, oatmeal and honey or yogurt and berries every morning. The first week of Whole30 I almost puked after breakfast every day but now I can't imagine going back! I CRAVE vegetables, curries and heavier foods and they are so much more satiating!

If my breakfast doesn't include sweet potatos or butternut squash, I'm not interested. I think they're good vegetables to try for people who aren't used to eating veggies at breakfast - they definitely have a filling effect, while not being too flavorful or causing your stomach to work overtime.

Carlah this Carla H. We apparently share the same initials!

I can honestly relate to you on this one. I tried to convince Tom at one point that I should be allowed Paleo bread as I had no attachments to bread (seriously I'm not really a bread person) because I just could not stomach eggs or meat in the morning. It isn't an easy transition. I ate cereal every morning for the past 36 years. So I can't cut it out now. I simply can't. But then it brought me back to the reasons I was doing this. Sigh. And I was tired of being hungry at 10:30am. Being overweight not eating a lot already and then told I simply had to eat less. Giving up milk/yogurt granola, cereal for the next 30 days will have to be it.

I have discovered I like my eggs either scrambled or in an omlete. No sense in trying to eat a boiled egg as I will just start gagging on it.

So standard meal 1 (breakfast) for a long time was a spinach, pumpkin, proscuitto, onion, casserole (that I made on the weekend) with a side of berries, or fruit. My hang up was the sweet finish. 6 months it has changed a bit. The sweet finish doesn't matter quite so much anymore. But from someone who had to have a spoonful of brown sugar in her cereal every day.... this was completely an 360 in thinking.

You do have a point that everyone has different tastes - but you also have to understand that doing what you want to do, isn't going to help you in anyway.

Okay guys, well thanks for all your help.

I will try to eat eggs & meat with some veg for breakfast for now, as it appears there is no way around it for now. When I've done the Whole30, I will then go onto Coconut Yoghurt (non dairy) with fruit, dried fruit & nuts for a satisfying & nice breakfast, but will suck up eating foods I don't want to eat for breakfast for 30 days for now. Wish me luck!

Any other time I like eating eggs & meat. It's just breakfast that I don't want to eat it...

Hi Carlah,

I know it seems frustrating now to have to eat things you might not be super keen on, but it really is worth giving it an honest go. You don't have to have both eggs and meat for breakfast, but you'll need to have one or the other for a protein source. If I eat too many eggs I start getting sick to my stomach so I've been making a turkey and apple scramble (ground turkey, diced apples, chopped onions, cinnamon, nutmeg all cooked together in a frying pan) and that's worked out pretty well because it's not super heavy. I've been pairing it with either sweet potato or carrots and some broccoli.

As for the coconut yogurt, unless you're making it yourself from scratch it's most likely loaded with sugar and some other nasty additives that go against the whole 30 plan and the paleo diet in general.

I'd also be leery of the mindset that you'll just have it when your done with the 30 days as well. Remember the whole reason for doing this is to reset your body and kick our old unhealthy habits - if we fall back on old habits once the 30 days are up then why did we do it in the first place? It's often to tell tone of voice on the internet so please know that I mean this entirely as encouragement and not condemnation - everyone on here is either going through or has gone through the transition phase so we all know how hard it is :) Good luck! :D

I strongly recommend checking out the Well Fed Paleo book for the "cook up" ideas. Last Saturday, I roasted a head of cauliflower, a tray of parsnips, turnips, and carrots, and a bag of brussels sprouts. I've been having them for breakfast every day, sometimes with eggs. If you hate eggs, you won't like this, but I soft boil the eggs, so the yolk is still runny. Then it drips over everything and makes a pretty delicious "gravy."

Also, you can steam saute a bunch of greens and have them on hand.

I have eaten peanut butter on toast or a bagel every morning for the last 5 years or so....unless I was having waffles. <profile pic> I thought I would miss it. But honestly, I don't. I find myself not feeling that enthusiastic about breakfast, but I guess I am willing to use scrambled eggs as a "go to." And, since my kids will eat them....it's a win-win.

It's hard to start thinking about breakfast as just another meal....I'm right there with you. But we can do it! :)

I've been doing the Applegate organic grassed roast beef for breakfast with a mini cucumber, a handful of grape tomatoes and raw carrots. I have coconut oil in my coffee for a fat hit. (Though I did choke down an egg this morning.) I just don't like eating very early in the morning. Most mornings I have 30 minutes to get breakfast in to the Kindergartner, get him dressed and ready for school, shower and get myself out the door.

Another suggestion for you - I like fan frying a salmon fillet with coconut oil and season it with pepper and dill. I'll have half an avocado with (compliant) salsa in the center and a side of green veggies. It's not heavy feeling/tasting at all!

Cool, thanks guys. KatieOz, the coconut yoghurt you can get here in the UK. It's AMAZING! The only ingredients are coconut, tapioca starch, xylitol and probiotic cultures. I know xylitol is out for the whole30, but think it is okay for the rest of the time. Tapioca starch I think is fine too (as it is extracted from cassava) . Plus the brand I buy was recommended in one of the other books I've read - I've pretty much read them all! Well Fed is what got me onto the Whole30.

I think I'll give the turkey mince, apple and cinnamon ago actually - sounds quite nice; but I might subsitute for pork mince, as it is hard to find free range turkey mince in the UK.

I think I'll give the turkey mince, apple and cinnamon ago actually - sounds quite nice; but I might subsitute for pork mince, as it is hard to find free range turkey mince in the UK.

I did almost the same thing above - except I mixed the Well Fed Italian sausage seasoning into my chicken mince and added shredded sweet potato along with the apple. It's pretty decent, and if you find it isn't enough, throw it in a pan with some ghee, and pan-scramble in an egg. I promise it doesn't make it super heavy - it's perfect for me lately! And this is coming from the person whose pre-W30 breakfast was a Larabar and a smoothie just because I was always running late to work!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck! I hope you discover new breakfast choices you love. I quite like stir-fried cauliflower rice for breakfast, also I've had salad with fried egg, but if egg is a no go poached chicken is quite nice. It's lite and really yummy. In particular in the hot summer here in Texas. Soup is another good option. Bone broth with veggies and diced chicken. Also pretty light. Just a few thoughts that might help.

abur0418

I did something similar as a side the other day, but we also had some sausage and fresh veggie with it. I did sweet potato instead of banana and I included ginger. It cooked much more nicely than I thought. The original idea was coconut milk and pumpkin, warm or cold, which I still need to try!

Nico

Carlah thank you so much for starting this post!

I am in the same boat. After 10 years of loving my breakfast of oats, coconut milk, fruit, and nuts, suddenly on the whole 30 I find myself really not enjoying the eggs and meat for breakfast. Brekky has started feeling like a chore when it used to be my favourite meal. It even makes me feel a bit down....which sound ridiculous. This post gives me hope.

I might try that turkey/pork with apple cinnamon thing too.

From everything I've read I have to stick it out for now and it seems like once my body adjusts my tastes will probably change. I hope so and look forward to enjoying brekky again!

Archived