Paleo Breakfast

Ancestral Foodie

Switching the thought from "breakfast" to "meal one" might give you the liberty to be more flexible in what you eat. I found I actually enjoyed a plate of mixed greens-although mine did have egg scramble on the side-and even ate homemade sweet potato/coconut milk soup first thing in the day during my W30. Pre W30 I was an oatmeal and yogurt fiend! Post W30, I need a plate filled with veggies, with a bit of meat, usually ground meat or left over chicken/beef, plus a couple of eggs, it's still my go to and leaves me satisifed for hours.

Hope you find some new favorite ways to start your day.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you said no eggs, but what if you did something a little different with them? Sometimes when I get sick of the usual omelet combinations, I make scrambled eggs for breakfast with sliced up stone fruits (usually apricots or plums when available). I add coconut milk to the eggs so they scramble nice and soft, and usually a sprinkle of cinnamon when I'm sauteeing the sliced fruit prior to adding the eggs. It's not really sweet, but it seems more breakfast-y than some options.

• 2 weeks later...

Kristie, I am right there with you. I am now on day 19 and my tastes haven't changed. We're not supposed to dread a meal. I was forcing myself to eat things that contained the Whole30 rules and not even bothering sitting down to enjoy them, as I just didn't and still don't want to eat those things for breakfast. I just wanted it over and done with! Not a nice way to start a morning.

Whatever anyone says, breakfast is different to the other meals, as there is such little prep time involved. I live in London and I face a 1 hour 15 min commute to work. I work VERY long hours, so getting up any earlier, is simply not an option. I need something quick and most importantly nice, as well as nutritious for breakfast. I already spend the night before prepping dinner and lunch for the next day, so cannot prep a 3rd meal for breakfast as well.

BUT, I have found something that is amazing that I want to share with you:

Get a banana, mash it up in a bowl, add 2 eggs and a teaspoon of cinammon - beat them. Then get a hot frying pan, lump in blob of nice butter (grass fed obviously) and make a big pancake with it. I serve mine with a sliced pear, half an avocado and some parma ham (it is hard to find regular ham that doesnt have sugar in it here) and that is pretty nice. Not something you can have every day though, so alternatively you can also have this:

Get half a cup of nuts (almonds and pecans are nice), a banana, teaspoon of cinammon and a quarter cup of coconut cream and blend - I served mine with a sliced mango on top, but you can add any other fruit and also you can heat it up like a kind of porridge! Now it doesn't tick the protein box and you can't have any other fruit all day, but it's a start. I'm going to add a good quality protein powder to it after the Whole30 (like in 11 days), as it is nice and doesn't contain anything inflammatory - which lets face it, is the whole point of eating paleo.

There we go, I hope you find this helpful!

I was also a smoothie and peanut butter toast girl. I realized way before starting this way of eating that oatmeal made my blood sugar spike within the hour. Then I switched to scrambled eggs, avocado, and steamed spinach (or as I like to call it, The World's Most Boring Breakfast).

The I started to branch out, and find that often leftover chicken soup will make a nice breakfast. To introduce eggs, a poached egg on top can be really delicious, and doesn't have any of the fried egg feeling that you might not like, and still isn't as heavy as a hard-boiled egg. (I poach the egg separately as I don't like a runny white at all.)

Baked fish and winter squash soup would be a nice way to go, with maybe a piece of fruit alongside.

My favorite breakfast now (but I had to work my way up to it) is beef stew (from the Well Fed Paleo cookbook) and winter squash soup. I had been having a banana, but by now (day 19) I'm finding that bananas are way, way too sweet.

Hi Carla and Ibosmer, whereas you're breakfasts sound quite tasty, as I'm sure you know, there's no way they fit the meal template.

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

1-2 palmsizes protein, at least a thumbful of fats and fill the plate with veggies.

Tom has already explained that 'Trying to recreate your old habits with new foods is not acceptable during a Whole30' So basically any kind of porridge or recreated cereal is out even if it is paleofied. It's sticking to our old ideas of 'breakfast' foods being different. I know it can be difficult to get used to eating a proper meal that fits the template at breakfast but it really makes such a difference. Protein, fats and veggies have a totally different effect on the body than nuts and fruit and, of course there's no dairy on a W30 so I'm afraid the butter is out as well.

Not eating to the template but trying to adapt old ways of eating won't help us to establish a new relationship with food nor will it help regulate our hormones. It just seems such a shame to put all the effort into doing a W30 and not get the best results out of it. You deserve the best. good luck

Phew you had me going a minute there Kirsteen.

Straight from the whole 30 rules: "Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep's milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee."

Thank god for that!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Chill people, I'm not planning on breaking any rules - but it is nice to have some different options so thank you all for those different recipes!

Clarified butter and ghee are in. Butter, straight from the stick, is out.

From what I have read, the sources of animal fats must be both pastured and organic. I saw this on the shopping list, in the section of the book on fats, and in the butter manifesto. Have I misinterpreted something?

From what I have read, the sources of animal fats must be both pastured and organic. I saw this on the shopping list, in the section of the book on fats, and in the butter manifesto. Have I misinterpreted something?

Right - sorry. There was a recipe a few posts up that seemed to indicate that you could use the pastured, organic butter as is, without clarifying it or making it into ghee first. I was addressing that and didn't go back to reiterate the rest. Oops!

Right - sorry. There was a recipe a few posts up that seemed to indicate that you could use the pastured, organic butter as is, without clarifying it or making it into ghee first. I was addressing that and didn't go back to reiterate the rest. Oops!

Thanks, I have been seeing it mentioned on a few posts that any butter can be used to clarify or make ghee, but I didn't think that was the case and I started to think I was confused. I'm going to make it a priority to order some tomorrow. :)

Yes, I didn't mean regular butter. Just forgot the word 'clarified'.

Sorry Kristie - didn't mean to give you a heart attack :o Yes I meant regular butter that still contains the milk proteins is out. when we clarify it or make ghee that's what we remove. I'm sure you've been doing fine :)

Okay, I'm absolutely gutted. I guess I'll have to start again. I have some questions though...

What does everyone mash root vegetables in then, if you can't use butter? You can't use Olive Oil, because if you make up a big batch of mash, as I understand it, you can't reheat it (olive oil can't be heated to a high leave such as in the microwave).

Can you fry and omelette in ghee then?

What do you put on green veg to make it taste nice? (i used to be butter).

I can't believe I won't be able to eat dark chocolate at Easter now :-(

Try not to feel too bad for too long, Carla! Whatever changes you have made, you can now build on. Often a moderator will suggest thinking of this not so much as starting over, but as adding days on at the end. It might seem like a question of semantics, but it can help the thought processes.

I wonder if you have read the meal templates, articles about Whole30, etc. here on the site, or It Starts With Food? Tom, one of our moderators here, often recommends that folks read the meal template itself several times, and then again several more. It really helps to get your head around how to shop, cook, and eat this way. (One thing that is especially important is to find ways to eat that do not recreate non-Whole30 foods. Pancakes, for one thing, are completely out, even made with compliant ingredients.)

For ideas about how to prepare vegetables, eggs, and other dishes in a Whole30 compliant way, many Whole30ers swear by the blogs nomnompaleo and theclothesmakethegirl (just google each one to find their blogs). You can also purchase It Starts With Food and use the recipes there, and Melissa Joulwan (the cook behind theclothesmakethegirl and the ISWF recipes) has a wonderful cookbook called Well Fed.

Dive in again/still/more, find out how to make wonderful food that is wonderful for you, and keep going!

I haven't read the section on why we avoid the foods we avoid, so I can't tell you if you should start over to get what you want out of the program.

I can tell you that I use coconut oil for almost all cook foods...sometimes it is just added to get the fat, not to change or mask flavor. I have been known to add EVOO to some cooked veggies that I plan to eat right away, although that was pre-W30. I don't see why that wouldn't still work. And, I use EVOO (usually in the form of a homemade balsamic vinaigrette) on raw veggies, such as salads.

I want to use clarified butter or ghee and I hear it has an amazing flavor, but I haven't taken the time to find/order any. I don't have a gallbladder, so I am not quite ready to try to increase animal fats.

Thanks guys. Yes I have read the guidelines, the book, Well Fed, and the blogs. I guess I just read so much, I forgot the basics. Plus I don't like meat & eggs for breakfast (even after 15 days, as I only discovered mixing bananas & eggs on that day), so I have been trying to do everything I can to make something I can enjoy for breakfast. I have tried so much (before I began the Whole30) and still haven't found anything that has meat & eggs in it, that I can eat all the time. I can stomach scrambled eggs & smoked salmon every now and then, or an omelette and parma ham, but not every day - these are the things I can almost enjoy if I am enjoying something I like for breakfast the other days, then it doesn't seem so much of a let down to have to eat them. I have probably tried about 20 different variations of meat & eggs for breakfast and nothing is satisfying. I have to force it down and can't wait for lunch or dinner to enjoy my food. Being a foodie, this is heart breaking....

I'm not exactly clear on your reason for believing you must eat eggs and meat at breakfast. You don't have to mix the two at any meal. And you don't have to choose eggs, though I know the kind of protein they contain is recommended. I can't stand eggs (there I said it) and I just try them occasionally to try to convince myself that I might like them. Never works. Ha!

I've noticed that some folks understand breakfast to be a different kind of meal than the others - but it doesn't have to be on Whole30. You can eat leftovers, or pot roast, or Moroccan chicken (or whatever you like) for breakfast.

I second what Amy S said. If you're waiting for lunch an dinner, why not start with one of those meals? Prepare something fabulous using the list of what we can have (shopping list) and then enjoy every drop of it, no matter what time of day.

Canned pumpkin is basically a roasted mashed pumpkin without all the effort - and it is definitely whole30 approved. here is a recipe from a blog I just googled: http://preppypaleo.blogspot.com/2012/05/whole30-breakfast-recipes.html

You can mix in an egg if you want, but if you add almonds and maybe some almond meal it adds up the protein. Veggies have protein too!

In response to AmyS - you have to have it for the protein - the choices are only eggs or meat as far as I know - nuts, avo's or coconut don't count as a protein source.

The thought of having leftovers, or a lunch/dinner for breakfast really make me feel rather sick. I'm fine with having those things for those meals, just not for my first meal. I like something that is nice, easy to digest and fills me up. Not heavy like meat meals or cooked eggs. The reason they don't appeal is because of the dense protein. Obviously this is great for lunch or dinner, but breakfast I don't want to feel like eating a full-on meal. I just want something in a bowl, preferably with fruit!

Archived