Oh, man, brisket!

MrsStick

Okay, thank me later for this. I just turned my mother-in-law's "Rocky Mountain Brisket" recipe into a W30 approved one AND a crock pot meal. Holy cow. I woke up to a delicious brisket this morning! And I didn't have to have it in the oven at 400F for 4 hours (wrapped in foil). Recipe is as such:

Brisket - with the fat layer - 4 lbs (mine was 1.5)

1.5 tsp salt (I used about 1tsp since I have sea salt and it's more salty)

1.5tsp pepper

2 tbsp of Chili powder (I only had 1 tbsp left, so I also added a dash of chipotle pepper)

1 tsp crushed bay leaves

Mix dry ingredients. Rub all over brisket on top of a piece of foil that will cover it. If your brisket is smaller than 4 lb, dump the extra accumulated on the foil in the sink/trash. Wrap in foil. Put in slow cooker/crock pot. Cook for at least 8 hours, up to 11 or 12. If you put it in at night, in the morning, you can have brisket with a fried egg and sweet potato mash like I am!

I might die of happiness. Who needs the sauce with brown sugar, ketchup, etc...?

I can't live without my slow cooker..or bacon..or mayo..or gheeeeee!!! :)

I have resisted getting my own because I have limited counter space and I love my cast iron pots. I don't even have a microwave or a toaster oven. I might look into getting one, though, just because of this recipe. No kidding.

I have a teeny kitchen with no counters too. I set up stainless shelves in my itsy dining room to hold my toaster oven and MW. I have a covered balcony with an electrical outlet. I use my slow cooker out there. Right now I have my chicken stock going out there. It will be ready at 5 am. :)

Nadia, that seems like a very hot oven. I thought brisket was a low and slow item but I could be wrong. Off to google recipes. :)

Exactly, that's why I'm asking. I took this temp/time setting from the original post - "and I didn't have to have it in the oven at 400F for 4 hours.(wrapped in foil)". Maybe I read it wrong?

You are right. It does say that. Hopefully she will come back and clarify. I googled and I would say 95 percent of the recipes said low and slow. Everything from 250 for 10 hours (that was for a ten lb brisket) to 325 for 6 hours. I sort of lean towards the low and slow method but maybe her mom knows a secret. :)

Sorry guys - I had a 24 hour shift at work last night.

I know 400F for 4 hours sounds absolutely crazy. If you wrap (we're talking SEALING as much as you can) the brisket in the foil, it will stay moist. And fall apart. I used the slow cooker this time because I was making it before bed and didn't want to get up in 4 hours.

Yes, it sounds crazy. I promise it works. It's kind of like how boiling the carnita meat (Well Fed recipe) sounded absolutely bonkers, but it worked. Just trust me!

I sometimes put my slow cooker on the balcony, do you have a covered area outside?

That's funny Sharon. I said the same thing. My little apt gets too doused with oders that smell great for the cook day, but it hangs around too long. :)

Glad everyone's excited about this...it's great for breakfast with a fried egg on top, great for dinner (had it last night with a zucchini/carrot saute and sweet potato mash...), it's even great on sandwiches for those of you with non-Whole 30 family members.

I've loved this recipe for years, and realizing it was Whole30 compliant made my day/night/week!

Archived