franco

tomato paste?

12 posts in this topic

Hello started another whole 30 today and trying to figure out if tomato paste is allowed. googling has just sent me in loops yes no yes no. If anyone could shed some light that would be awesome. thanks in advance.

Nadia ia correct. It depends on the ingredients. I bought some just yesterday. San Marzano tomatoes and salt. Some contain citric acid which is fine.

Kirsteen likes this

Hi Franco! The trader joe's brands (much cheaper) and the ones at whole foods (organic) are whole 30 compliant....Hunt's brand has natural flavors so I am avoiding those for my whole 30. However, Hunt's diced tomatoes have no natural flavors and I am using those for recipes. Hope this helps! Happy cooking! :)

FormerUser likes this

Yeah just check ingredient lists. I buy tomato paste and eat it straight up (but that's a different thread, possibly under the "food with no brakes" category :ph34r: ). The brands I buy, right from the regular grocery store, list tomatoes and salt as the only ingredients.

xacerb8, sassy and gattling like this

I just checked my Amore tomato paste this morning as I was planning dinner. It did not have the ingredients listed, so I checked their website. Only tomatoes and salt so I will be using it in dinner.

The tomato paste I have just lists concentrated tomato as the one ingredient, is that Ok?

Also, are we allowed tinned tomato? Ingredients: Organic Tomato, Organic Tomato Juice, Acidity Regulator (citric acid)

The tomato paste I have just lists concentrated tomato as the one ingredient, is that Ok?

Also, are we allowed tinned tomato? Ingredients: Organic Tomato, Organic Tomato Juice, Acidity Regulator (citric acid)

Yep..those are both fine.

rosemary_radical likes this

Yeah just check ingredient lists. I buy tomato paste and eat it straight up (but that's a different thread, possibly under the "food with no brakes" category ). The brands I buy, right from the regular grocery store, list tomatoes and salt as the only ingredients.

Seriously..tomato paste made of San Marzano tomatoes in a tube. Way good.

Bellmaestra and AmyS like this

I was very disappointed to see that Contadina tomato paste with Italian Herbs has both sugar and soybean oil.  Label also says CONAINS MILK.    Moving on...