Stupid Hard Boiled Eggs

Anham Mahna

I love hard boiled eggs, don't get me wrong, but no matter what i do, i cannot make them so the shells come off easily. What am i doing wrong?

Ive cooked them via the nomnompaleo instructions: poke holes in top, put in cold water, bring to boil, boil 1 min, let sit 4 min, put in ice water 5 min. Then i leave them in their shells and put them in the fridge.

Should i deshell them and then store them?

I believe that the age of the eggs may be a factor, but how old does an egg have to be before its shell is easily removed post boiling?

Help!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is so frustrating. It is the age of the eggs. I use my pastured eggs for mayo and exclusively use the organic eggs from costco for HB. Even then, the second weeks batch peels much easier than right after I buy them. I have tried everything from Julia's method to Ina and Paula's method.

Lol. I love it! A fellow cookbook junkie! I used to be a cookbook editor, so i have so many suggestions on how to cook a hb egg, its ridiculous. So you get eggs from Costco, huh? that never occurred to me, but it sounds like a great idea, given how quickly we go through them! And you don't worry that they aren't pastured? (Im ridiculous when it comes to following rules, let me tell you! Lol. I need a plan, so i can stick to it!)

Cuisinart Egg Cooker. Looks like a silly appliance, but I make 6 eggs at a time and shells peel easily every time. I think the trick is that you poke the hole in the bottom and then the appliance steams the eggs, getting the steam in there between the shell and the egg while it's cooking. That's just a guess, but the shells peel off like a breeze every time. And I buy the Costco organic eggs, among many other brands.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CEC-7-Egg-Cooker/dp/B0000A1ZN9

I have to admit that I mentally feel so happy when I buy the organic pastured eggs but I eat too many to buy all pastured. So, my compromise is to buy the best for mayo (plus I eat the other ten eggs however I want) and also buy the 2 dozen organic eggs from costco. I buy pastured chickens and grass fed beef and pork when I can and organic when the grass fed is not on sale. I also buy tri tips from costco and their prime grade steaks.

As Tom says. You can do a successful W30 and do all your shopping at Walmart. :)

I have this problem too! What is up with that? I have a clear memory of being able to peel hard boiled eggs all the time growing up. It was a food that I learned how to cook early on.

For the past few years though, I can't peel the darn things.

The other night I boiled about a dozen eggs. What I ended up doing was cutting them in half and then scooping out the egg with a teaspoon. That worked pretty well. You just have to chop the egg in half with your sharp knife really fast....like CHOP!

I use one whole egg and one egg yolk, 1/2 tsp cayenne (I like spicey), 1 tsp stone ground mustard, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 TBS lemon juice, apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar and 1 1/4-1 1/2 cup Bertolli Extra Light tasting olive oil. I tried the extra version and hated it. Then tried light..it was okay. Then Robin suggested extra light and I was in heaven.

I have a clear memory of being able to peel hard boiled eggs all the time growing up. It was a food that I learned how to cook early on.

I have the exact same memory, Holly! Clearly, its the eggs. Lol.

Susan, im gonna have to try that recipe. It sounds delish! Thank you for sharing!

Huh. My boyfriend was born without the egg-peeling gene too, I don't get it! Once my eggs have cooled in water for a bit, I crack them all the way around on the edge of the sink. Then I put them back in the water and squeeze them just a little, so the water will go inside the shell. I do 12-15 at a time. By the time I come back around to the 1st one, the water is all through the inside of the shell and most of the time it comes off very easy. I do get a few eggs here and there that don't cooperate, but usually no more than 1-2 per batch.

My American store's eggs peel great as hard-boiled eggs (even the organic ones). My German store's organic eggs do not. The difference between the two? The American store's eggs are shipped to Germany from Denmark. My German store's eggs were laid at most a few hours from where I am.

The German ones do slightly better if I specifically overbuy one week so they can sit in my fridge for a week or so before I boil them.

I steam mine and then put them in the fridge to cool.

Just put as many eggs as I can in one layer in the steamer basket over my stock pot. Add some water to the pot and cover. Then I let 'em steam at full bore for about 10 minutes, move them to the carton when they're cool enough to touch and voila! Most shells come off in 3 or 4 pieces.

I have started baking my hard boiled eggs. I do a dozen at a time in a muffin tin, 325 for 25-30 minutes, then into COLD water for 10 minutes. I do mine about 25 minutes because I like my yolks a little on the soft side. No breakage so far and I have done 6 dozen so far and I have had very little issue with peeling. I like the baked ones because I can set them to go and come back when done, and I am not waiting for the water to boil, which is nice, specially if I am chasing my son around!

Archived