Extreme Weight Loss

My husband and I are on Day 21 (yeah!) of our Whole 30, and things have been going really well. I have been strictly following the non-food rule of NOT WEIGHING YOURSELF, and while my husband has been so good at the food rules (this is such a HUGE change for him), he has not been following the "other" rules, and has been weighing himself. He lost 7 pounds the first week, 12 by the second, and yesterday, on day 20, he weighed himself and he has LOST 20 POUNDS. In 20 days. I can't help but think this must be unhealthy, right? He wasn't overweight to begin with, he's 6'3" and was 220, now he is 200.

It seems to me that the man is constantly eating - he has an INSANE metabolism, and doesn't even work out... he eats probably 4 larabars a day on top of 3 square meals (again, I know this is technically against the rules - I can't convince him not to do that, I've stopped trying). Is this super-quick weight loss bad? Should he be doing anything differently?

Meanwhile, all my clothes fit the same. Sigh. The downside of being a woman rather than a man I guess!

He feels pretty good, sometimes he gets really tired. He has a huge appetite, as always, but says he feels like he is eating less now and feeling satisfied (a good thing). I think the same thing, Emily, that his body will find it's "happy weight" now that he's not shoving fast food, sodium, and fruit juice in his face all day and that it will suddenly stop losing once he's reached it. Still, such quick weight loss makes me nervous and seems unsustainable. How quicky did your husband lose his weight?

mountainjillian (great name, mine's the same :) ) -- my husband is experiencing the same thing! in the first 12 days he lost almost 15 pounds -- he started around 205 and on day 12 was 190 (he's 5'10") -- i had/have the same concern about if it's healthy -- i see he is eating plenty and he said he feels GREAT, so i'm not sure how concerned i really should be ...

The same thing is happening to my husband. He started at 220, lost about 6 lbs the first week and has so far lost 15 lbs in the last 23 days. He is more pleased about this than you can imagine (his goal weight is 195). I told him we're not supposed to be getting on the scale until after W30 but he says he's a Stats guy and is just curious about the numbers. I think it's fine to lose that much weight because he's eating as much healthy food as he should be and doesn't even need to snack anymore. He says he feels terrific and he clearly has much more energy than pre-W30 so it must be okay.

• Moderators

I would not worry as long as someone is 1) following the Whole9 meal template, 2) not hungry more than a short time before meals, and 3) has plenty of energy. That said, I took 15 months to lose 30 pounds. I am 6'2" and lost roughly 2 pounds per month every month for 15 months after adopting the Whole30 lifestyle. I gained a lot of strength over the same period, so I probably lost more than 30 pounds of fat as I built muscle. I just magically quit losing weight after 15 months without changing how much I ate or how much I exercised.

MountainJillian,

He lost all that weight in one W30 (our first one). Since then we've done a lot more W30s (like 5) and he doesn't lose weight on them anymore. A big thing for him is to make sure he gets enough fat and enough starchy carb... he eats a sweet potato almost every day when we are W30-ing.

Archived