Insomnia...*after* starting Whole30?

I did my first Whole30 in January to great success. I've just started my second one yesterday. I remember during the first week or so of my initial Whole30 I had insomnia, like I just couldn't settle down. Prior to starting, I didn't have any particular sleep issues, in fact, I slept quite well. I tried tea, I tried Natural Calm, but my body was just restless. It eventually went away and I slept well for the remainder of the 30.

Well, last night, as if on cue, I had insomnia. Fell asleep ok, but woke up in the middle of the night and had a hard time getting back to sleep. Again, prior to starting this round of Whole30 I slept quite well. I anticipate the same thing will happen, after a week or so I'll settle down and be fine, but...it would be nice to not have the insomnia.

Any tips? Any idea why this would be happening? I exercise 3-4 mornings a week, and in general I follow a Paleo-ish diet (meat, veg, some fruit and nuts, good fats, plus grassfed dairy and some dark chocolate and a little wine), although in the last month I've gotten sloppy and I've been gluten-ing it up a bit (bleh).

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem - I feel SUUUPER tired, get in bed, then can't sleep. I take 500mg of magnesium 2 hours before bed, haven't changed anything else in my routine, but can not go to sleep! I'm trying desperately to get more sleep, to go to bed earlier, but my body just won't let me! I eat dinner around 6, trying to go to bed at 11. Ugh!

and it's day 11. I didn't have these problems before the whole 30.

I'm on day 22 (having also started from a mainly paleo diet) and haven't been sleeping well since a few days in - so I'll be very interested if you find a solution! It's getting a bit much.

I'm trying magnesium oil sprayed on my legs at night, but no effect as yet. Based on Renee's comment I'm going to try eating my starchy carbs earlier in the day rather than for my last meal. I'll report back if that seems to help.

Archived