Best Ever Homestyle Meatloaf

Johnny M

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the thyme in the recipe frish or dried Johnny? I used dried (and dried parsely) and it was *very* herby.

recipe calls for fresh parsley and dried thyme. if you use dry for both you need to adjust qties (dry is always less then fresh). here is how to convert:

The rule is: 1 part dried herb is equal to 3 parts fresh herbs. For example, a recipe that calls for a tablespoon (15 ml) of fresh oregano could be prepared using only a teaspoon (5 ml) of dried oregano. A recipe calling for 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) of dried basil could be prepared using 1.5 teaspoons (7.5 ml) of fresh basil.

Okay, this is So freaking delicious!

Keep the great recipes coming Johnny!

Oh, lunch is going to be sooooo good tomorrow!

KB, I re-heated mine for a minute in the microwave and then fried the slices in the pan - yummy!

recipe calls for fresh parsley and dried thyme. if you use dry for both you need to adjust qties (dry is always less then fresh). here is how to convert:

The rule is: 1 part dried herb is equal to 3 parts fresh herbs. For example, a recipe that calls for a tablespoon (15 ml) of fresh oregano could be prepared using only a teaspoon (5 ml) of dried oregano. A recipe calling for 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) of dried basil could be prepared using 1.5 teaspoons (7.5 ml) of fresh basil.

yeah that is the coversion I used for the dried parsley, used 1 tsp...oh well, will just adjust nextt time...or hopefully use fresh, I'm sure it'd be nicer.

• 1 month later...

Dear Johnny... I came across this in a Google search the other day and fixed it this evening... it is FABULOUS!!! The ketchup too... it's amazing! I plan on adding a little horseradish to it for a cocktail sauce. In the "Recipe Forum" I posted a link to it not realizing the recipe already has quite a following and that you're a moderator here. Oh well... that's ok... everyone needs to know about it... it's such a comfort food!!! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just stumbled across this thread- no kidding, I am drooling! And annoyed that I cooked up all my beef mince, will have to wait to make this. Have bookmarked the website too- can never have too many recipes  :lol:

I don't eat pork, do you think it would work with all beef, or maybe a bit of lamb added?

I would do lamb as a substitute.  I think it would be better than all beef.  (In fact, I think I'll try that next time.  Thanks for the idea.)  Johnny has a coconut curry meatball recipe that combines lamb and beef (I just ate some about an hour ago, in fact) and it's my new favorite!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've received a notice of follow-ups for this thread, but didn't open it until tonight...  sorry!  Although I haven't made it in a while I still have the recipe and it is DELICIOUS!!  I thought it was the best I'd ever had.  I love the ketchup too... makes a great cocktail sauce!  Too bad about the link?  Anyway here it is...

Johnny's Homestyle Meatloaf

Ingredients:

Ketchup

1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste  

2 T vinegar

1/2 t. dry mustard

1/3 C. water

1/4 t. cinnamon

1/2 t. salt

1 pinch ground cloves

1 pinch allspice

1/8 t. cayenne pepper

Meatloaf:

2 lbs. ground beef

1 lb. ground pork

1 egg beaten

1/2 batch of the ketchup

1/2 onion, very finely diced in a food processor (don't puree it though)

3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed

1 t. thyme

3 T. finely chopped parsley

2 t. coconut aminos

1 t. black pepper

2 t. salt

8 oz. mushrooms, pulsed to fine ground, should almost look like ground beef

1/4 C. almond flour

1 T. coconut flour

Instructions:  Preheat oven to 350.

Ketchup: Mix all ingredients well

Meatloaf: 

Mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined, but do not over work.

Shape into a long loaf in glass dish.  Make 2 smaller loaves if easier.

Top loaf with remaining ketchup.

Bake for 1-1/2 hrs.

Let cool 5 - 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

Phew!  Okay here ya go. This is Johnny's recipe as he wrote it. I hope you enjoy... it's wonderful!  If you have any questions I will answer as best I can.  I'm going to be making it again soon myself... almost forgot about it.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Moderators
23 minutes ago, beverlyb30 said:

Can I leave out the coconut flour? I don't have any and don't want to buy some for just a tablespoon.

I haven't made this particular recipe, but it should work. Coconut flour tends to absorb liquid, so if the mixture seems too liquidy you might add a little more almond flour. 

Archived