homemade mayo - yeah or nay?

Homemade mayo while pregnant... would you "risk" it? How big of a risk is it, really? I know listeria is the big food poisoning scare, but I can't imagine getting salmonella would be GOOD for me or the little bean...

FWIW, I don't have access to local farm-fresh eggs until the market opens in April. During winter, I buy organic free-range from the big-box grocery store, and I wash the outside of the shells before I crack them.

Also, I love runny eggs with breakfast, so I suppose this would apply to them as well.

Last night, I made a batch of olive oil mayo and the dreamy avocado dressing.... then my hubby pointed out that I was pregnant so I had to avoid raw eggs :( Talk about depressing, as with my pregnancy brain, I had totally forgotten the raw egg rule.

I have decided not to "risk" it. Based on my research, it's a very low risk; however, if I ever did get sick and harmed our baby, I don't think I could live with myself...

But that's just me!

I was reading about raw eggs even though I am not pregnant. I want to make sure they are safe for my friends and family to eat. Though I am not that concerned for me, I know many other people (including my mother) will likely give me a hard time for choosing to eat them. In my search to make sure they are safe I came across some eggs called "Safest Choice" eggs. They are pasteurized in their shell in a natural way that keeps the insides in tact, but kills all the bacteria and viruses on the shell. Their website says they are 100% safe to eat raw. I'm assuming these are okay to eat with Whole 30. I know pasteurized things are not ideal normally, but neither is salmonella :) I'll link the website. I was excited to see that my local store carries them, and they have a printable coupon on their site as well!

http://www.safeeggs.com/store-locator/coupon

I am a total failure with pregnancy. I eat more raw fish, rare meats, etc.. when I'm pregnant than when I'm not. But, I continue to get it from the places I trust and have already been using.

I think it's a personal choice. If you were doing it beforehand, know where you're getting the eggs from and feel ok with it, then go for it.

I got food poisoning in my first pregnancy (not from raw foods, from Subway, actually) and it very much sucked. I thought I was going to die and spent some time in the hospital, but we made it through. I never ate Subway again after that. So, just go with what you feel comfortable with. If it seems too risky to you, then I would definitely say don't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't give you advice on this one, because this is a highly personal choice, and you'll have to weigh the risks and benefits yourself. But I know exactly where my eggs come from, and I trust their safety more than I'd trust a breast of cooked Purdue chicken. I've been eating homemade mayo throughout my entire pregnancy.

Again, however, this is not advice. Please decide for yourself whether the risks outweigh the benefits for you.

You can also find recipes for homemade mayo with cooked eggs online. Here's one: http://homecooking.about.com/od/condimentrecipes/r/blcon65.htm. Just skip the sugar and use a light olive oil or a high-oleic, cold-pressed safflower/sunflower in place of the vegetable or peanut oil.

Best,

Melissa

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't have easy access to good fresh eggs, so I skipped the homemade mayo while pregnant (and was very sad about it!). IIRC I found an olive oil mayo at Whole Foods (very $$$, though) that I figured was an OK substitute.

• 1 month later...

To pasteurize your own eggs, you just have to heat them to 142F (I think; no access to le google without losing this reply right now) for I think 3 minutes. Google it - it's easy to do and then you can have mayo.

Heather - if you raise your eggs and trust them, then absolutely go for it! Another thought is you could soak an uncracked egg in something to try to kill off the bac/viruses.

• 10 months later...

I've learned the hard way to not rely on the accuracy of forums and blogs (even from "experts") for information that effects the health and welfare of my family.  I made mayo with a raw egg once, which worked fine, but then I was afraid to serve it. So...just now I googled "pasteurize egg USDA" and got the link to a PDF from the USDA titled "egg pasteurization manuel."

The information we need for eggs in the shell is in Part III Pasteurization Methods at the bottom of the right-side column on page 14. The temperature is 140 degrees held for 3.5 minutes.  Before I try it with eggs, I'm going to see if I can actually hold water at water at 140 degrees for that long.

Here's the PDF from the USDA because this is a forum and you don't know me, so you shouldn't take my word for it. ;)USDA egg pateurization.pdf

The avocado mayo also looks yummy!

I've learned the hard way to not rely on the accuracy of forums and blogs (even from "experts") for information that effects the health and welfare of my family.  I made mayo with a raw egg once, which worked fine, but then I was afraid to serve it. So...just now I googled "pasteurize egg USDA" and got the link to a PDF from the USDA titled "egg pasteurization manuel."

Hence my saying I had no access to google, and encouraging the poster to google it herself.

I didn't have easy access to good fresh eggs, so I skipped the homemade mayo while pregnant (and was very sad about it!). IIRC I found an olive oil mayo at Whole Foods (very $$$, though) that I figured was an OK substitute.

I have never found a compliant store mayo. Are you sure this mayo doesn't have canola oil or soybean oil? If I doesn't please share the brand. Thanks!

You can purchase pasteurized eggs at sprouts or other health food stores. I accidentally purchased them instead of pastured eggs. The ones I purchased were cage fee but they were not from pastured chickens. I hope that helps.

Salmonella infected eggs come from sick chickens. Only 1 in 30,000 eggs is infected with salmonella, and that risk goes down to probably near zero if you know the chickens you are getting your eggs from are healthy. 

I've been eating raw eggs my whole life. Every time I make cookies, I sample the raw batter (I've eaten half a batch of raw chocolate chip cookie dough before baking the other half) and I prefer my eggs over-easy. I've even made smoothies with raw egg. And all this was just conventionally raised, cheap, supermarket eggs, oh and I never washed the outside of the eggs either (commercially produced eggs are actually thoroughly washed before being packaged up anyway. Part of the reason Americans don't store their eggs at room temp like the rest of the world is because our farmers wash the protective coating called the cuticle that the hen produces from the outside of the egg. It protects the egg from bacteria so it can actually sit at room temp for weeks without going bad). I've never gotten salmonella, never even thought twice about getting it.

I should never get pregnant...I would do EVERYTHING wrong.

Archived