Low Protein, can't stomach eggs and meat :(

My endocrinologist has warned me that my protein levels are low. I'm about 9 weeks pregnant. But, just like with my first pregnancy, I've developed some horrible food aversions, namely eggs, meat, and anything even remotely bitter (kale, broccoli, spinach, romaine, zucchini... sad face!)

I smashed up a hard boiled egg this morning with an avocado and choked it down, gagging the whole time. It was miserable! The texture of meat also makes me feel sick. I've been able to eat small amounts of ground meat when it was drenched in tomato sauce, or mixed with sauteed mushrooms, but that's it. I could probably eat fish if there was a gun to my head. I have no aversion to dairy products, though. In fact, I find myself craving milk, cheese, yogurt...

I know this isn't ideal, but I'm thinking I might have to start eating a lot of dairy products until my food aversions subside. With my first, this happened somewhere early in the second trimester... so I have about a month to go. Does anyone know what the "best" choices are in this category? I know butter is mostly fat. I'm looking for protein. Doesn't Greek yogurt have a lot of protein?

I needed to vent a little! A time when it's REALLY important to eat healthy and the healthiest foods make me ill just thinking about them!!! Go figure!

Full fat dairy from grass fed cows if you can get it. Presweetened flavored yogurts are just slurpy candy. Plain full fat yogurt- if you need to sweeten it add a bit of fruit yourself. That is allowed on the w30 for vegetarians so I would add anything on their list to whatever is on the omnivore list you can stomach. When I was pregnant I was on an anti-candida protocol and had plain yogurt but NO fruits so I made cold cucumber soup and that was pretty good.

If you can tolerate small amounts of ground beef do you think there is a way to add finely ground organ meat like liver to the mix. A lot more nutrients with less volume.

What about adding bone broth soups? Broth itself doesn't have much protein but it's "protein sparing" meaning it will allow the protein you are eating to be more fully utilized.

I lost weight during that pregnancy too and couldn't hardly eat anything, but my midwife was low key about it and didn't freak me out- I delivered at home at 39 weeks an 8 1/2 lb baby, so it all went perfectly.

Thanks so much. Fortunately, I'm not losing weight. My appetite is through the roof, I'm just having trouble meeting my protein requirements - I'm filling up on fats and carbs, and actually having a hard time filling up!

The soup suggestion is a very good one. I made chicken soup this weekend - broth with lots of veggies and chicken cut up as small as possible. It went down fairly easily, no chewing! :)

Archived