off-road? off the GRID.

hi there -

so, a little bio: did my first whole30 in august of last year. loved it. followed it to the T. could've put my face on whole30 posters and felt a deep sense of integrity about it all. lost weight. slept like a newborn lamb, felt amazing. the whole-9 (yards....get it....).

fast forward to christmas 2012. indulged quite a bit. attempted a second whole30. made it 4 days. fail.

january 1st, 2013. new years resolution = you guessed it. another whole30. made it to day 7. fail.

february 10th. got pissed at my lack of discipline. 3rd times the charm......not so fast. fail.

the pattern is plain as day: i love whole30, STRONGLY believe in its principles, need the rules to get myself back on track, but despite all of the resolve i begin with, i keep throwing in the towel. i can't blame a particular source: i keep clean food in my house, my stressors haven't changed that dramatically...i just don't feel like i want to do it. and that sucks. i want to WANT to do it. i know all of the good reasons why, and still...

when i came off of the first whole30, i did well for a few weeks. but, when i fell off the wagon, i fell HARD. i started wanting foods i would have never even looked at before my whole 30. things like oreos. i mean, how gross. before, i would have indulged in duck fat fries or good, homemade ice cream. but oreos? now they send me into a feeding frenzy.

not sure what help there even is for this, but i do feel like a lost cause. :(

gettingbiggerinbaltimore,

jen

For starters go back and edit this post and remove the word fail from those 3 paragraphs describing your W30's. There are no breaks in your W30 success story- it's one big story. Kudos for coming onto the forum and sharing tonight! Does this mean you are on Day 0? :)

You sound like you may be working through some issues relating to the long-term lifestyle change, which is not nearly as exciting as the drama of the Whole30. The maintenance phase is more difficult, in my view, because you take your eye off the food 24/7 and come back to real life, and all the stress and associations from the past are still there. You now have to fit your new eating habits into your life, and it's harder than you expected. I think that may be why you aren't making it through your next Whole30, because what's on the other side? Maintenance! And it was difficult and painful and you fell off the wagon and it hurt, and who wants to go there again?

Well, you do. At least your body does. Your body loves to be healthy and to be treated well. It's your mind that wants to go back to that lazy place that says eat whatever you want, whatever is convenient, whatever tastes good in the moment and to hell with the effects later on.

So get back up, get through a Whole30 and make a plan for maintenance. Are you a rule-based person like I am? Then write down what you are allowed to off-road and when, and follow that plan. Now you don't have to think about it, it's just like Whole30, if it's not on the list, then it's not on your plate.

Good luck, you can do this.

thank you both.

xandra - great advice, and it makes perfect sense. i'm going to keep trying. my husband and i have a romantic getaway this weekend, so wine will be involved, but i'll make a plan and gear up for monday morning.

<dusting self off...>

Hi Jenny,

Your story sounds remarkably similar to mine. I mean really similar - as in almost the same. Off roading my worth it indulgences became longer and longer. And I just didn't like that. I am on my 3rd restart of my 3rd whole 30. I have come to grips with that - finally. I find it once I make it through the first week and everything is planned to the T - I relax a bit into it. But if things happen that I am not planned for I stray..... Even though I feel phenomanally better while on plan.

Xandra, I love the idea of creating your own rules for riding your bike. I will try this. I will actually work on this while I am on my whole 30.

I could have written the first post, and the responses make sense. I have had a fear of success in the past, and I think that's a part of this for me. As long as I get up one more time than I fall, I'll be okay.

On the positive side, I have been more consistent with my workouts and I am getting stronger.

Today is Whole1

Again.

Do you have a copy of It Starts with Food? If you do, have you read it recently? If not, read it. If you don't have one, get one.

I swear I'm always more inspired when I reread it. Even if I pick and choose the chapters - any of it gets me inspired to get back in line again. I mean when someone points out that food either makes you more healthy or less healthy (and those are the only two choices!), then what are you going to pick? It makes it so clear!

I'm starting a Whole60 on Sunday or Monday depending on when I can get to the store - so I'm right there with you. :)

I have given this advice before here, but the first time is relatively easy. That's right..EASY. You enter into it without any goals other than DOING IT.

The second time? It becomes easier to say, well, I know I can do this, and I can always start again tomorrow.

I believe the key is to start with goals for each whole30 experience, other than just completing it. The analogy I like is that starting the whole30 without goals is like going on a car ride with a list of 30 lines of direction; if you don't know where you are going, it is just too easy to stop the car and head in a different direction!

You can do this...again!

Jenny-

I am WITH YOU! You took the words right out of my head, I think. I finished my first W30 on Super Bowl Sunday, and the off roading began immediately..... some days/weeks have been better than others, but I have definitely been struggling.

Also like you, I want to WANT to do another W30... but I sort of don't want to do it. While I felt fantastic, I also found the W30 stressful, which is why I don't want to do it again so soon.... I am really trying to figure out how to get myself in check. blah

All I can say is... we all need to stick together! We can do it, each of us in our own way!!! :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

I am really going through the same issue. Had a pretty great first 30. Then the few tries I've done since have not been completed. I'm not sure why, but I'm trying to figure it out. Good luck to you though, you know you can do it!

I am really going through the same issue. Had a pretty great first 30. Then the few tries I've done since have not been completed. I'm not sure why, but I'm trying to figure it out. Good luck to you though, you know you can do it!

Right there with all of you...we had an AWESOME first whole30 in July 2012. Have managed to stay more whole30 than not since then and have attempted to do a second whole30 several times since then, but haven't been able to get through more than a week or two. Like I said, we haven't gone completely mad when we are off-but mad enough to matter and make us remember why we did it in the first place! So, April 1 starts our next attempt at a complete whole30 #2. Hopefully, this cold that is simmering in my head and chest will get outta here in the next few days and I'll be able to begin clear headed and focused. We CAN do this!

I have given this advice before here, but the first time is relatively easy. That's right..EASY. You enter into it without any goals other than DOING IT.

The second time? It becomes easier to say, well, I know I can do this, and I can always start again tomorrow.

I believe the key is to start with goals for each whole30 experience, other than just completing it. The analogy I like is that starting the whole30 without goals is like going on a car ride with a list of 30 lines of direction; if you don't know where you are going, it is just too easy to stop the car and head in a different direction!

You can do this...again!

Awesome!!!!

Goals!

I treat everything as a battle plan...... Prepare, train,supply,have a specific objective, implement your plan and adapt along the way,don't stop until your objective is completed..... Immediately get a new objective!!! Ok you did a w30.... How about a w60-90? No fruit? No nuts? Run a 10k/ marathon/ triathlon ???? Start crossfit??? Knit a sweater..... Take up photography.... Any goal you wish you could attain you can!

Archived