Supplements with off program ingredients

Swingcat22

I use two supplements religiously: liquid, low-dose melatonin & Xclear nasal spray. I've searched eveywhere for a liquid melatonin supplement without fructose or sorbitol. XClear has xylitol. Is my Whole 30 effort nullified? I'm five days in.

Any suggestions?

I came down with an undiagnosed illness nearly two years ago. My ability to fall asleep is compromised and melatonin has consistenly helped. I already take magnesium, Vitamin D3, and fish oil. Melatonin is a potent antioxidant and it is usually metabolized by the body within a few hours. My optimal dose is .5 MGs. I'm concerned about the sugar content.

Swingcat, medication always trumps a W30. It sounds to me as though you're taking the melatonin as an actual medication not just as an optional supplement. Personally I'd say if you need it keep taking it. Will it affect your W30? Well you may not get the absolutely best-in-the-world-possible results but I'm sure you'll still get heaps of benefit from it. i know it's possible to get melatonin in capsule or tablet form. Would it be possible to see if one of those had wholly compliant ingredients? Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I take two supplements that according to label contain fructooligo saccharide and stevia. Will this mess with my results? One is a colon cleanser and with all the fruits and vegetables in Whole 30 I'm thinking I could drop it but the other has l-arginine which I think is beneficial. Please advise

• 2 years later...

I was prescribed melatonin by my naturopath and have taken it for a long time. I will be starting the Whole30 next month and look forward to getting off of Advil and Melatonin at night. My question though- is it better to avoid these noncompliant pills (sorbitol and some other -itol in the melatonin sublingual and corn starch in the ibuprofen) from the get go, even if it means no sleep for the first several nights? I know sleeping is imprtant for the hormone regulation!

• Moderators

I was prescribed melatonin by my naturopath and have taken it for a long time. I will be starting the Whole30 next month and look forward to getting off of Advil and Melatonin at night. My question though- is it better to avoid these noncompliant pills (sorbitol and some other -itol in the melatonin sublingual and corn starch in the ibuprofen) from the get go, even if it means no sleep for the first several nights? I know sleeping is imprtant for the hormone regulation!

If you're starting next month, could you try starting to taper off the medicines now, and see how you do? Have you read up on what good sleep hygiene entails, and tried to do those things to help (there's a second article linked in that one, with some other tips if those don't work)? If it were me, that's probably what I would try, rather than waiting til I start a Whole30 and just stopping cold turkey.

Advil (ibuprofen) is a gut irritant (that's totally aside from the corn starch in the pill, it's just the nature of that particular drug), and since part of Whole30 is about healing the gut, we usually recommend that if someone needs a pain killer, if Tylenol will provide them relief, it's the better choice. (Neither are great choices to be taking on a regular basis long term if you can avoid it, although obviously, sometimes you can't avoid it, and we don't want you to be in pain, so use what works for you.)

I would talk to your doctor/naturopath about this and see if they have any thoughts.

thanks ShannonM816. I actually have taught sleep hygiene and know a ton about it. Having back pain has been making for sleep issues for years. I look forward to a change in that. I will try the Tylenol. i am tapering off a lot of things now! having been unsuccessful with a lot of things dietary over the years, I look forward to this cleanse like experience helping me clean up my sleep and my gut!

Archived