Kombucha For Beginners

lhenkin

I am a Kombucha fanatic. My favorite is GT's 'Trilogy' right now (it is flavored with ginger, lemon and blueberry). I love all the cranberry ones. I brewed my first batch (the $3.50 were killing me!) and it turned out awesome. I had to purchase a regular plain Kombucha for the starter tea and I was surprised at how mild I found it to be so maybe even try one of those. It is a blue bottle I believe.

Sometimes to make them go further I mix 1/2 Kombucha and 1/2 sparkling water in a glass and it is pretty yummy!

I have now tried the GTs Gingerberry. OMG!!!! I'm in love. I also bought Lavendar because Johnny said to. Haven't tried it yet.

I also found out that my WF sells the kit..well, the mother and the tea. It's locally produced here in Portland, so I may try it. I have not mastered my own yet. It comes in flavors, but I think I'll just get the original and play with the flavors on my own.

Now to wrestle the Gingerberry from my daughters hands...she's scarfing it. :o

So, I am enjoying my first Kombucha. In reading back through the forum, I get the sense that I should drink the whole thing (12 oz) in one sitting. Is that true? If so, will it maintain its "fizz" if I put it back in the fridge? Does it go flat like soda?

You need to check the ingredients label for compliance. It should have somewhere between 2-4 (maybe 6) % sugar. If it has more, it's been sweetened with sugar.

Some people have issues with their stomaches if they aren't used to Kombucha. That's why starting slow is a good idea. It will stay fizzy. At least mine do, but I haven't had that brand.

Oh yikes. That is a little too high. It's probably per serving too right? Mine has 2 servings. Maybe a moderator will approve it but I go for 2-4 grams per serving. GT's is a good brand that Whole Foods carries. It's really good.

Archived