April Whole 30 group

Jessica Reagan

Maria, did you try posting your menus in the Troubleshooting forum? It's amazing what might be holding you back, something as simple as... sugar in bacon, maybe? How often do you have it?

They're pretty good about helping pinpoint any issues with a Whole30.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, husband completed 30 days on Monday, he lost 15 pounds! We're continuing on, my Whole60 is at the end of this month. Traveling this week, fingers crossed that we find compliant stuff... I've mapped out all the possible restaurants and know where Chipotle's are! Cooler of great food to start with, and bringing back a bunch from Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, neither of which we have around here!

Maria, I don't think I've lost any weight either and I've been exercising more this month than in the last few months. And eating totally compliant, with no snacks at all.

But, when I first started going to the gym a few years back that I didn't lose anything in the first month and then dropped about 10 pounds the next month.

I had my Wellness Meats bacon this morning, and one of their sugar-free/nitrate free hotdogs for dinner. Neither the bacon nor the hotdog tasted different/bad without the sugar, so I have no idea why it's added in the first place. The hotdogs are kind of a dark brown color, instead of the reddish brown...is that because of no nitrates? I will serve them at my Memorial Day BBQ, and I don't think anyone will notice.

I too do not have as much energy as I did the first two weeks, and I'm a little more cranky than I was. I'm wondering if any of the moderators can explain why, since a bunch of us seem to be experiencing the same thing???

I can't believe that we're onto the last week already.

My runs are still a bit of a struggle, but I'm going out more consistently than I was before April.

And my improved mood has given me the confidence to apply for a graduate job, despite thinking I'd never make it past the application stage.

Applegate Farms has a complaint hot dog as well. My husband says it tastes better than regular hot dogs with sugar and other added craziness. I know you aren't supposed to check, but I got on the scale and I am down 7.5 pounds so far. Feeling good for the most part. My moodiness/depression has about vanished, but I feel I have less patience. Not always good with a 3 year old :-) they love to test you.

I had a doctor's appointment today, and my blood pressure was 98/60! The nurse asked if my pressure tended to be low, and I said yes, around 110/70. When she told me what it was, I couldn't believe it! I asked if it was ok and she said, "Yes, for someone who's young and in good shape." For someone who just turned 40, and who has struggled with weight issues my whole life, that made my day :) I asked her not to tell me my weight, and she didn't, but I saw it on a piece of paper that the doctor was holding. It was not my home scale and, unlike on the morning of day one, I had clothes on and had eaten today...I can't believe that it could be better than the number I saw because, HOLY COW!! I will make you all wait until my official weigh-in on Wednesday, but today's appointment made me even more committed to making this a way of life :)

Only 3 more days. I can't believe it! I'm so looking forward to this strictness being over, but on the other hand I'm nervous about what/how I'm going to eat... It's strange! I just don't want to undo the good that's come from this. Yet I also want to splurge a little... Should be an interesting week. :)

I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon, so know how much I weigh now... but I never weighed myself before I started :)

But, I've lost nearly half a stone, and I reckon about half of that is due to decreased chocolate and alcohol consumption while the other half is because of better food choices.

I've had fun with the Whole30, but am excited to try some food reintroductions now. Dairy tomorrow (milk, yogurt and maybe some ice cream) and then gluten on Saturday.

The deprivation has got to me over the last few days, and I've been dreaming of having a little treat! Overall though I'll stick to the principles and off road when it's worth it... Like on my vacation to Athens this weekend!

I had a doctor's appointment today, and my blood pressure was 98/60! The nurse asked if my pressure tended to be low, and I said yes, around 110/70. When she told me what it was, I couldn't believe it! I asked if it was ok and she said, "Yes, for someone who's young and in good shape." For someone who just turned 40, and who has struggled with weight issues my whole life, that made my day.

That's amazing! Great job.

I'm also really wanting a glass of wine, though not much else. Maybe some really dark chocolate.

I'm going to come right back to this next week. I'm not ready to lose the training wheels.

My Whole60 ended on Monday, continuing on to a Whole100 or so, depending on whether something unexpected pops up.

Down five more pounds, so a total of 15!

Successfully navigated a three day trip to Minneapolis, including eating out nearly every meal. Expensive, but yummy. In fact I don't think I've ever eaten so well on a trip before. All compliant too!

At the end of my W30, I started wearing my work jumpsuit again after being in scrubs for months. It was slightly tight at the waist but I could zip it and bend over without worrying about riiiiiiip. :lol: That was after ten pounds down.

Now after five more, parts of it are so baggy I'm thinking I'll ask for a smaller size when I finally wind this down to reintroduction-phase. :rolleyes::ph34r:

Still doing yoga four times a week, finally out walking in NO SNOW YAY, and want to start doing body area-specific workouts to help all this along.

Hubby lost 15 pounds and is now reintroducing dairy (and artificial sweetener). So far so good for him!

So glad to see such successes!

I am almost finished with the first 30 days(will be done on Saturday). I will continue on and will decide if to continue pretty strict as I can feel the benefits and I feel like I need more time. Years of dieting, Atkins to WW to Jenny Craig to fasting/binging with a touch of bulimia as well. I have lost a modest amount of weight-certainly not huge like some folks and yes, I have been weighing. BUT a big thing for me is I haven't been counting carbs, points or calories, weighing food. I am considering what to do after this-splurge a bit for my 21st anniversary and then hit a possible Whole 100. I really don't want to go through the whole few 2 week crap again if I have a glass of wine and a dessert. Would that happen???

This is day 1 of the reintroductions for me.

I'm really scatter-brained today, but I've had a lot going on today, so I'm going to need a second dairy reintroduction day to see if it's the dairy. I'll probably save that for the end of my reintroductions so that I can see if there's a cumulative effect with my dairy consumption.

The W30 is a bit too strict for me, I want the freedom to not have to cook dinner every night. And I'll be glad to not have to read labels looking for hidden sugars and just stick with the allergen warnings for milk/gluten/sulphites etc. But I doubt that I'll be going back to toast for breakfast anytime soon. I never felt satisfied when I was eating toast and eggs for breakfast, but oddly I do feel satisfied with eggs and salad.

What I've learned so far today:

-Cheese isn't anywhere near as tasty without bread or crackers.

-My proper tea with milk didn't taste anywhere near as nice as I'd remembered it tasting.

-I want sweet treats when I'm stressed (I had a mostly stress free W30, so I didn't develop good coping mechanisms for this)

Hi Everyone!

I lost 14.7 lbs! No measurements, because I forgot to take them at the beginning, but I too am wearing clothes I was unable to wear a month ago. I did some online shopping this weekend, and 2 dresses were waiting for me when I got home. It's so nice to feel pretty in my clothes, and to order a size small and know it will fit! From a girl who, as a teenager, had to shop in plus size stores, I feel like I'm living a fairy tale :)

I had breakfast with a friend and had milk in my coffee and cheddar cheese in my omelet. I ended up putting coconut milk (which I'd brough with me) in my second cup of coffee, because I like it better! The cheddar cheese was good, but the cheese plus the olives was too salty. I'd eaten at this place twice during my W30 and realize that I enjoyed my omelets without cheese just as much as the one with. About 2 hours after breakfast, my middle back started to hurt. I took Advil, and then realized that my whole mid-section felt kind of weird. It only last about an hour. I then had plain Greek yogurt with lunch, and a string cheese with dinner, and have had no reaction. Could the weird feeling after breakfast have been from the dairy? Who knows, but I kind of want to believe that it was! I'm not much of a milk/yogurt person, and I would do well to stay far away from cheese and ice cream ;)

I have given out the Whole9Life website to so many friends today, because I've posted about my journey on Facebook. After the heard my weight loss, everyone wants to do it. I wish they could understand that it's about SO much more than the weight (although that's a wonderful bonus!)

Keep the updates on results and reintro stories coming!

My whole30 ended yesterday and I celebrated with a well missed glass of Cabernet Sauvignon - twas delicious! Having said that, I truly thought I would have a glass and then immediately want another but no dice. I had the one, it was lovely, that was it.

I'm still planning on eating pretty compliantly, and am spectacularly nervous about introducing any foods back in. I won't be going back to milk in my coffee, but may have some cheese and definitely won't be introducing grains or wheats as I only too well remember the horrendous discomfort on the last day that I ate them.

So I guess this eating is the way of life for me now - I don't miss anything, I don't crave anything. We're heading up to NYC next week so I'll see how I fair in the face of my beloved Cheesecake Factory and the Magnolia Bakery - Im hoping I'll be able to off road without losing the plot completely.

As for my stats, I didn't weigh or measure before I started but I reckon I was up at around 148lb (I'm 5ft 8") - this isn't particularly overweight but since I ran the Miami marathon in January, I have piled on the weight and really wanted to get my health back. I was also very limited in my wardrobe as most of my clothing was horrendously uncomfortable and tight and I was on the verge of going up a dress size which I didn't want to do.

Paleo whole30 has dropped me down to my wedding weight of 137lb and more than comfortably back into my clothes. I'm hoping to lose another couple to get me down to 135lb which for my height is on the slender side so I'm beyond pleased with my results! Overall I feel fantastic and will continue to eat this way as long as possible!

I also finished my whole30 on Tuesday. I thought I would wake up Wednesday and crave the foods I had cut out - but I don't. I will probably gradually re-introduce foods so I can pinpoint the problems, but plan to stay mainly compliant. This is the first time in so long that I haven't felt my age (50). I have not exercised in years and am now starting to walk and plan to add more activity. I did not weigh myself before the challenge, however I have lost 21.2 lbs. since March 8 and I think most of it was lost in the last 30 days. I haven't posted often, but have really enjoyed reading this groups comments. Congrats to us all!

• 4 weeks later...

I fell WAY off the wagon. I decided to start another Whole30 on July 1st, but then realized that I couldn't, and shouldn't, wait. I have some stuff going on in June, but I started a Whole26-ish today! I also started a blog about my weight-loss saga, and Whole30. Check it out if you're interested!

• 2 years later...

Hello, I'm new, started yesterday.  Planning to follow the 7 day meal plan until I'm confident that I know what I'm doing. So far I'm a bit frustrated that the book seems complex, a lot of fluff and repetitiveness in the start.   I like simple, straightforward, and while I know I can do this, I'm a bit cranky that it doesn't seem simple to me yet. Hoping that will change for me within a few days.  I just got on this forums page and it seems like there are so many threads and topics that it's a bit overwhelming, too.  Am I just crabby because change is uncomfortable?   :) Advice is welcome. 

Archived