April Whole 30 group

Jessica Reagan

Hi, I am Erin! I'm starting my first Whole30 April 1st and couldn't be more excited! Read the book in 24 hours and about to jump back in for a refresher course. I gave up drinking (on the weekdays) for Lent so I am hoping that transition will be easier than going cold turkey :) My husband will be joining me on the challenge as well as a few friends and family members. We are also hoping to cut gluten out of our kids diets in the next 30 days. Over the next week I will be donating food, cleaning out our cupboards and doing lots of prep work! But honestly, can't wait for April 1!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in! That's my sister girl_violet up there and I blame her/love her for talking me into this. I'm nervous but this is exactly what I need to get my eating in order. I'm way to attached to sugar. I recently gave up diet Coke and I know that if I can distance myself from a food for a bit I lose the cravings for it.

My kids are 11 and 8. And the biggest kid is 39. :) They are not doing W30. I'm the guinea pig in the family. It may be harder for me, but it seems easier than dragging them all into it kicking and screaming before I am even a true believer. That said, I won't be making them big bowls of homemade oatmeal (<3). I'll make them things they like that aren't my favorites. If this program really does make me feel awesome and I become a convert, I will transition the family, I'm sure.

I'm starting April 1 too. (This is my first post here.) I'm still working my way around the forums and getting a little panicky about what I'll be eating. I love to cook and have done several stints without sugar or wheat in the last couple years, but I'm mostly panicking about yogurt and half n half in my morning coffee. I've recently started using unsweetened coconut "creamer" but just realized it's not whole 30 compliant. I did just start making our own yogurt so I'm going to try the whole 30 compliant coconut yogurt recipe I just saw on NomNomPaleo.

II really should quit coffee. I have every symptom of "adrenal fatigue" and major anxiety issues--not helped by coffee. I've quit coffee when I was pregnant (first trimesters only) and it was brutal for me! But they say if you say, "I can't imagine not eating X" then X is what you need to stop eating so here I go!

I started eating "primal" in Feb and successfully went for a full month without sugar or grains. But I was still eating full-fat grass-fed dairy, coffee and an occasional glass of wine. In March I've had a few slip ups and fell back into some old bad habits (letting myself get hungry so I eat my kids' snacks, reaching for a square of dark chocolate when my energy lags late in the afternoon, etc.)

Getting nervous and excited about starting. It's like going to camp.

I also have two kids (5 and almost 2) and I recently stopped buying them cereal. I'm doing things a little more gradually with them. My five year old is crazy picky and also skinny. I feel like he most needs to stop eating sugar, but he eats an almost all simple-carb diet--though he does love MEAT.

I'm thinking I need the crashing airplane approach--give yourself the oxygen mask first, then to your child.

When I quit sugar and grains in Feb I did really well not eating crackers or other kiddie snacks. But one slip up and I become a raging carb monster.

Beets - I like your analogy of fixing your own oxygen mask first. That's how I'm thinking of it, too. My kids are pretty good eaters. They eat their veggies and don't snack much, but I do need to work on their sugar and bread consumption. My husband is my main obstacle. He loves his toast and ice cream. I'm hoping that if I can show him how great I feel on this program, he might be willing to try it. We'll see. Baby steps.

I just finished meal planning for week one. I already meal plan, so it wasn't too difficult, but it did take longer to figure out compliant items, breakfast for the family and making sure I had very fe repeats. My DH and daughter don't eat eggs, aren't big on veggies for breakfast and my DH isn't a huge leftover eater. Would be easier to do this alone, but I didn't want to cook multiple meals or have temptations floating around.

I downloaded the recipe app from Nom Nom Paleo and she has a 30 day meal plan and lots of good meal ideas. The photos are great and the directions are detailed. Quite a few of the recipes for week one came from there. Have two other books on order from the library, so the family won't feel bored with food choices.

Yes, I also checked out foodee.com and started compiling a meal plan. I loved that it showed all whole30 compliant meals. I know I need to have it all planned out for me to stay on board. My husband will be somewhat doing it with me because I make his lunches and dinner :) He is trying to make smarter food choices, but he doesn't like restricting himself so much. But, I love the idea of eating good, clean, whole foods and getting back to the basics. I can't wait to start. I have 4 kids ages 9, 7, 5 & 3 and I already have them eating pretty well. but not really paleo. I'm just going to try and have them eat mostly what I eat with the exception of some things. We will see. :) I have a pinterest board for strictly whole30 if you'd like to follow for a few ideas. http://pinterest.com/sparklesandbugs/paleo-whole30/

I still need to read the book, I have requested it at my library, but I'm thinking it may take a while so I might just order it.

I do have a question about fruit juice. On the guidelines it said a little fruit juice is okay, but I'm wondering how much is too much. I saw a recipe for a smoothie with pineapple, pineaple juice, coconut milk and ice and wondering how much juice would be too much to put in it?? Anybody know. I couldn't find anywhere that it said unless all that is listed in the book...??

I do have a question about fruit juice. On the guidelines it said a little fruit juice is okay, but I'm wondering how much is too much. I saw a recipe for a smoothie with pineapple, pineaple juice, coconut milk and ice and wondering how much juice would be too much to put in it?? Anybody know. I couldn't find anywhere that it said unless all that is listed in the book...??

Smoothies aren't forbidden per se, but they aren't really whole 30 approved. Your body processes whole food and pureed food differently. Also it's not a good idea to be getting that much sugar in a meal. It's not really balanced and they tend to fill you up quickly but it doesn't last long. They also can be a type of SWYPO and used to prop of your sugar cravings. Make sure you check out the meal template. http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf .

I'm in! Planning on starting my first Whole 30 on April 1 and I can't wait to get started! I'm planning a July wedding and will finish my first year of grad school on May 1, so I will be missing my red wine :). It will be worth it though!

I'm in! And my husband will join me but will still have some white rice. :)

We've been living a paleo lifestyle for a few months now and I did my first W30 in October and loved it!

I really need to eat less paleo-approved treats, honey, fruit and rice and April is right after passover is over, so it's the best time!

My husband is really sensitive to most food and doesn't have any dairy, nuts, chocolate, alcohol and other things anyway, but I think the challenge for him will be to eliminate honey and sushi!

Can't wait!!! :)

I'm in. Starting on april 5th though as big dinner planned on April 4th. This is my second attempt - first one started on 8th March failed on Day 2 (lack of planning, huge low carb hangover) but have been reducing carbs gradually and getting organised to do better this time.

My meals are pretty much compliant - it's all the stuff I eat in between that's the problem. It's going to be very tough to conquer those sugar demons but I really want to!

I'm meal planning now too. My husband and 18 month old will be eating the same as me in the house - at nursery/work they will be eating their normal food. I too like the aeroplane analogy - I need to get myself sorted before them! Also they have lots of allergies - fish, nuts and eggs in my husband's case so it's easier to leave him out

Having said that, in my preparation I've made some things like cauliflower rice and carrot and swede mash to replace rice and potatoes and my little boy loved them so I'm feeling hopeful

I'm going to spend this upcoming week reducing my dairy, wheat and sugar intake so that it is not a complete sock to my body on April 1. I will also spend this time working on creating grocery lists and recipes so I am ready to hit the ground running at the beginning of the month.

I look forward to keeping up with everyone here!

That is what I am doing this week too. The rest of my immediate family is taking a wait and see approach so I will be the only one not eating dairy and grains in April. I thought I might have an easier time with that if I started reducing now so that by Monday I wouldn't be going cold turkey... Although, I kind of will be cold turkey anyway because we have that big Easter dinner planned on Sunday. Oh, well, the best laid plans of mice and men and all that jazz... ;)

I'm looking at starting up April 1 again, too. There are a couple of events during that month which will be a challenge, but above and beyond that, I want to clear out the sugar that I've become over-dependent on again and get back to eating and feeling clean. I found myself sliding back into old habits after January's Whole 30, and despite my intentions to eat clean at least 80/20, I've been too "soft" on myself. I want to look and feel awesome for the vacation hubby and I are planning to Vancouver Island in May, so I'm currently planning a Whole 45 to get there! Let's do this!! :) :)

I have a pinterest board for strictly whole30 if you'd like to follow for a few ideas. http://pinterest.com/sparklesandbugs/paleo-whole30/

Great links on your Pinterest board. thanks. Oh and I don't think the juice is for smoothies, but for cooking with, like less than half a cup. And I made a post asking about smoothies, they are frowned upon but not forbidden, but you would need to make it green with spinach or kale and also eat a protein source with it like chicken sausage, etc.

Hello! This is my first post... We are pretty familiar with paleo foods, but have never stuck to it 100% for more than 6 days straight. I love cooking and we buy our eggs and meat from a local pasture-based farm, so that is great.

I'm planning to start April 6, so ALMOST the same time. We are waiting till after spring break travel and ending before my son's birthday. My 3 kids are probably going to do really well except for no weekly pizza... I'm hoping weekly burgers and guacamole will pacify them.

I spent an hour putting together a list of 6 familiar dinners to rotate through, and plan to try 1 new recipe a week. (I'm sure each meal will only last one day since our family eats a whole chicken for dinner, and any leftovers would be for lunches.)

Breakfast is a concern for me, as I'm afraid we might get tired of egg dishes (or might our bodies?). Would paleo granola and homemade almond milk be "paleo-ified junk food"?

Thanks - I am looking forward to trying this!

Hello! This is my first post... We are pretty familiar with paleo foods, but have never stuck to it 100% for more than 6 days straight. I love cooking and we buy our eggs and meat from a local pasture-based farm, so that is great.

I'm planning to start April 6, so ALMOST the same time. We are waiting till after spring break travel and ending before my son's birthday. My 3 kids are probably going to do really well except for no weekly pizza... I'm hoping weekly burgers and guacamole will pacify them.

I spent an hour putting together a list of 6 familiar dinners to rotate through, and plan to try 1 new recipe a week. (I'm sure each meal will only last one day since our family eats a whole chicken for dinner, and any leftovers would be for lunches.)

Breakfast is a concern for me, as I'm afraid we might get tired of egg dishes (or might our bodies?). Would paleo granola and homemade almond milk be "paleo-ified junk food"?

Eggs aren't your only option for breakfast! That would definitely get boring! I am allergic so I've had to find other options. Leftovers are a popular choice. Just make extra dinner and you're set! One of my favorite breakfast is homemade sausage patties. I use grass fed ground beef and add finely chopped onion, green bell pepper, garlic, tons of sage, salt and pepper. Cook those up with a bunch of roasted broccoli and shred some sweet potatoes and cook in coconut oil for "hashbrowns". I also love making steak for breakfast! Dallas and Melissa offer a great mocha steak rub recipe for pan friend steak in the book. It's one of my absolute favorites!

Paleo granola is definitely out. Almond milk is not forbidden but not encouraged. It's much better to eat a handful of almonds. Also they're on the occasional list so not too often. You can check out other forum topics for more information on the official opinion on almond milk.

For the kids pizza fix, you might considered stuffing a big portobella mushroom with garlic, onion, basil, tomatoes and a compliant protein like ground meat with italian seasoning, italian sausage, or proscuitto. It's delicious!

Received my Amazon order with my Whole 30 goodies: grass-fed gee, grass-fed beef jerky, sugar-free fish sauce for Thai stir-fries and curries, coconut aminos instead of soy sauce. Now to hit the grass-fed beef peeps at the farmers' market and spend the rest of my food budget. :(

I'm getting so nervous, it's crazy. I am not even sure why!

Beets - Maybe I'm being naive, but I'm not worried. I figure it's up to me to do it or not and if I don't, I'm not hurting anyone but myself. I don't know how hard it will be until I'm in it, so I'm not fretting. We'll see how I feel a week from now. :o Good idea to order some staples from Amazon. I need to get myself to Whole Foods tomorrow to get a few of the same things on your list.

I've gotten used to eating non "breakfast" food for breakfast: leftover dinner, salad, veg. I am really loving eggs with a side of simply dressed greens like in a bistro. But I agree it's not so easy with kids. My five-yr old is a tough customer! I stopped buying cereal a couple weeks ago and even my toddler still asks for it every day.

As I mentioned above, I'm planning to be a bit more lax with my kids. Once I get in the groove it'll be easier--especially since my husband won't be doing this with me. I've been making yogurt for my kids with grass-fed milk and they are ok with this for breakfast--either in a bowl or in a "milkshake" (i.e., smoothie) with some blueberries or other fruit. I don't need my littles to be 100% on plan at this point.

Sorry for all my posts. I gave up sugar and grains in Feb and felt great, didn't cheat all. i do love my cheese and yogurt but feel ok with going without.

The thing I'm scared about is giving up coffee! I know it's not in the orig plan but I feel like I need to do it for "adrenal fatigue" reasons. I also have major anxiety issues. But the thought of giving up coffee has literally moved me to tears this week. Crazy, right?

Archived