Long weekend coming up with our 1 1/2-YO grandson - please help!

EileenRBe

In a few weeks we'll have our grandson for a long weekend (about 5 days). He gets bread at just about every meal and snack and also milk. We are continuing to eat mostly compliant after our January W30. Below are my issues--any and all help or advice is most welcome.

Just so you know what we're dealing with, we had him and my son over for dinner a couple of days ago and served steak, whipped cauliflower, asparagus, and berries with whipped coconut milk, all of which the child ate well. Afterward my son asked if we had any crackers so he'd have "something substantial." (I know, this belongs in the "crazy things people say" topic!)

1. Should we keep giving him bread and milk, maybe just less, so he doesn't go through withdrawal and adjustment? I would be especially concerned about a toddler being sent back to his parents on the Hate Everything days.

2. How do we reassure our sort-of healthy-eating but still mostly SAD daughter-in-law and son that no--or less--dairy, grains, and legumes will actually be good for their boy?

3. What compliant foods do little kids tend to like best?

My husband thought I was out of my mind to put our kids on w30- but he was out of town for work so I did it anyways. When he came home 8 days later he saw for himself how happy and calm they were- and how aggressive they became when reintroduced to rice. Now he's on day 11 of his own w30. My point is- feed the child according to your own principles- no one needs bread. When I transitioned my kids (6 & 2 1/2) I allowed them free choice from all compliant foods plus I allowed pasture raised ham and summer sausage and organic ketchup. My kids like soft boiled eggs, raw veggies like sugar snap peas, English cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, all fruits, cashews, hulled sunflower seeds, and pistachios, cold chicken, grilled chicken legs, meatballs, mashed sweet potatoes, daterolls and larabars for desserts, sparkling water, coconut cream thinned out.

If he were my Grandson (or a visiting friend) this is how I'd do it:

First, I'd buy one loaf of bread and a small amount of milk (go for GF if you like, I suppose). BUT I would not offer them until things get to meltdown status red :) As long as he'll eat what you're cooking, fill him up! If things get hairy, use your best judgement. After all, it's only a long weekend and you want to enjoy the little guy (not argue with a toddler). Who knows, you may send him back to his parents a happier camper :)

Moluv, thanks for the great ideas. I think mini meatballs would be especially fun. And I want to see the little one's face when he first tries coconut cream!

Robin, your suggestions are perfect. I also think I might make some date-sweetened almond flour crackers with cinnamon, so I can tell his parents yes I do have crackers. :) Also, on reintroductions I had a sinus reaction to swirl rye bread but interestingly, not to durum semolina bread, so that might be a good option to have on hand.

Krista, you are so kind to say so. I will unofficially adopt you if you want. :) I'm hoping all of our loved ones will get the idea as they see our improved health and enjoy our marvelous food.

I'll watch this topic and comb the forums for more ideas for toddler-friendly foods.

Oh I just remembered something else I did with my kids when they first transitioned- sometimes when they were having a strictly emotional craving for a "treat" instead of offering them healthy foods I'd offer them a non-food treat like play-doh, paints, a Lego set, stick on tattoos, messy play, water play, computer time. Basically anything high value. That way we stayed more to eating just at meals and they learned to look beyond food for entertainment. And I tell you, I noticed my kids were happier and calmer the second day in.

Oh dear- you wouldn't believe how many new clothes I have since starting the w30, trips to the tanning bed, a facial here, some new art supplies there. Once I get my diet down pat ill do a Finance30.

I am a grandmother of 4. I would never presume to tell any of my 3 kids what to serve their children--even when they are at my house visiting from out of town. They certainly are not going to change habits in a short visit. Why put this wrench into the visit? I model my behaviour and I certainly would discuss my point of view with my kids or their spouses if they ask. Just my opinion.

I am a grandmother of 4. I would never presume to tell any of my 3 kids what to serve their children--even when they are at my house visiting from out of town. They certainly are not going to change habits in a short visit. Why put this wrench into the visit? I model my behaviour and I certainly would discuss my point of view with my kids or their spouses if they ask. Just my opinion.

Shelley, what makes this situation different is the parents are going on a trip and we'll just have the boy. If they send food with him we'll definitely go by the parents' wishes. If not, we might have the freedom to feed him what we eat. This will be the longest time he's been away from his parents so we're for sure going to want to take care to keep him as satisfied and on-routine as he needs, whatever that involves.

a little side note on son's remark about "eating something substantial." I have been 47 days without grains or pseudograins in any form, and I do not miss them. Period.

And trust me. I AM substantial. :D Even without grains.

And Eileen, your almond flour and cinnamon cracker sounds interesting. Is it posted somewhere? On some gluten-free food blog, perhaps? Yours, perhaps?

martihana60 - Actually, both the nut flour and the oil are technically compliant. It's the...crackeriness... that makes these noncompliant (but a great option for the boy).

Eileen - I'm gonna censor out that recipe - not because I think it's a bad one (I think it's a great idea for your GS!), but just to that we've got consistency across the forums (no non-compliant recipes). :D

• 2 weeks later...

Report: Day 1 with the grandson was OK but too banana-y.

Daughter-in-law packed a bag with crackers, bread, fruit, yogurt, 0% milk, peas, beans, peanut butter, purees in tubes, and baby carrots. "Healthy" and organic mostly. But no requirement on what to feed him when. So that's great.

The boy is getting over a cold and his eating schedule was off because of the morning airport run to drop off the mom & dad. So breakfast was some of my trail mix in the car to stave off hunger, and a banana with some coconut cream when we got home. Lunch was another banana and some leftover grilled chicken, no veg because I had to be out for awhile and "Bumpa" was on duty and acting on convenience. Supper was fried plantain chips (lots--he LOVED them, kept signing for more) and a few bites of asparagus and bison patty. And a taste of kombucha and throughout the day milk (kept signing for it).

What was his expression when he tried the Kombucha? I'll bet it was great!!

I gave him just a drop and he signed "more" but made a face and didn't want it when we put some in his sippy cup. We might give it another try with some diluted tomorrow.

Maybe you could whip some coconut cream into his 0% milk just to sneak him some fat while you have the chance {insert ninja emoticon}

LOL I gave him blueberries with coconut cream with his breakfast and he loved it.

Here's what we had. Chicken sausage, peppers, green beans and eggs, and the blueberries with cc.

post-11270-13651677486818_thumb.jpg

I am sorry I didn't see this sooner! I have a 2 year old son and some of his favs are my homemade mayo--he has to 'help' make it (by imitating the sound of the blender!) and he will eat it by the spoonful! He LOVES his kombucha--in fact, every drink we give him outside of his (full fat) milk is called kombucha! when I give him kombucha, I put about an inch or so in the bottom of his sippy cup and then top off with filtered water. Still a bit of fiz and plenty of flavor in his water! He loves meat balls, avocado, coconut milk and oil--off a spoon--steamed broccoli, sausages, pork chops, but hands down, his favorite thing is sauteed mushrooms--he calls them num nums! Course, since he started eating, he has been eating paleo style.

I think it is great that you are introducing some real foods to your grandson!

Thank you, spinspin--these are great ideas. It's really helpful to hear what other kids like.

The little guy isn't used to some of our foods, like avos, but we're giving him little tastes and will keep it up while he's here. I know it takes multiple times with some foods so I don't know how much progress we'll. make. His mom said he loves roasted Brussels sprouts so we'll have some of those for sure. I gave him a dollop of mayo with his lunch, which he stuck his finger in and popped right into his mouth. He didn't make a face but didn't do it again either.

I decided to only give him milk if he asks (signs) for it. He did at lunch but then didn't drink much. I let him have some coconut cream off of a spoon and he asked for more.

That is so precious about your little one calling everything kombucha and "helping" with the blender noise. My friends' kids are loving the booch and we're all starting to make our own.

Archived