Long weekend coming up with our 1 1/2-YO grandson - please help!

EileenRBe

Today he wouldn't touch the chicken sausage or crab cakes he loved yesterday. I had to break out the fruit and veg purees in tubes his parents sent. He verrry carefully scooped around the crab cakes so as to get only the puree. He knows what he doesn't want! Also I put peanut butter on a homemade almond cracker and he ate that too. Might be he's missing his parents and home and wants familiarity. Try the optimal, then do whatever works is my newest philosophy for dealing with a toddler

Breakfast: Banana, scrambled eggs. I scrambled the eggs after he Would Not Touch the oatmeal his mom sent. Even after I mixed it with pureed peaches. He did the Toddler Emphatic No -- turning his head away violently and pushing it away with his hand.

Snack: Apple, almond crackers, then regular crackers that were in his diaper bag, because we weren't home and he was winding up for a meltdown.

Brunch: Fried eggs, orange, a bite of side pork. Would not eat the sweet potato hash.

Snack: Yogurt. No-fat, alas.

Supper: Steak, mixed veg, milk. He did not want the baked white sweet potato or Swiss chard salad. But he kept pointing at my kombucha glass, so I dipped in my finger and gave him a taste. Guess what--he wanted more, so I gave him a few more drops from a shot glass, and he made a face but asked for more. Then he had a great time sort of drinking it and sort of pouring it on himself.

Final morning has turned into a whole day and another overnight because of his parents' travel delay.

Breakfast: Fried eggs, sauteed chicken sausage, peppers and broccoli, half banana w coconut cream. Ate well.

Snack and lunch: Can't remember. Chaos was beginning. I was packing up his things, he had an early, short nap and my housecleaner showed up early. Then his meltdown began. A friend who's a child development expert had told me that even little babies can understand if you tell them where their parents are and when they're returning. We'd been telling him his parents were on vacation and would pick him up after his nap on Monday. So he went down for nap early and woke up an hour early and there was no Mama and Doh-doh, and he was inconsolable. I was amazed that he really seemed to know they were supposed to be there to get him. When Bumpa offered to call them on the phone (we've been using skype-like Face Time) he lit up. They were unreachable right then but we looked at facebook pics of them and that cheered him up. Whew. The housecleaner came back after naptime and the rest of the day went just fine.

Supper: Awesome. He ate about a cup of stir-fried broccoli, some refried yam, meatballs. Didn't want the zoodles. But he loved my homemade lime-spice kombucha. More, more, more! We will miss having the adorable little guy around the house, but we are looking forward to catching up on our rest.

Summary: Wish we could have had him on a more paleo diet (particularly because grandpa has celiac) but we simply couldn't send him home with unopened milk and crackers and none of the other food they sent used. In the grand scheme it's only five days, we need to choose our battles, and for sure he did get a lot more whole natural food than he would have.

What is refried yams? Yum!

I formed cooked white yam into patties and fried them in side pork grease. I got impatient and put the heat to medium high so they got black in places. I'm going to try them at lower flame next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Does he like banana bread? I have tried a "pancake" recipe that tastes like banana bread. The batter is made with 2 eggs and one large, very ripe banana, plus about 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Cook the pancakes med-low in coconut oil. They are not super sweet, but they aren't junk, either. The texture isn't like a real pancake - more like cheesecake. My kids love them.

Archived