Finished the Whole 30 and no weight loss

I've been battling some stomach issues for the past 10 years and have received little help from doctors so I've done a lot of exploration and experimenting on my own. I was so excited to find Whole30 and went a little beyond the restrictions set out and added my own as I think I am dealing with a serious case of leaky gut syndrome (no tea or coffee and no fruit to start). I also went in knowing that this would most likely be a Whole60 or Whole90 at minimum. That being said, I do have about 20 lbs to lose and want to be healing my body as well as working on my weight in these upcoming months.

I've finished my first 30 days and I've noticed a lot of improvement in mood, energy, clarity and sleep but I decided to measure myself for some much need encouragement and nothing.. I didn't lose even a 1/4 of an inch. I'm wondering if I should be doing something different, maybe not eating enough, eating too much, not eating the right things.

Here is a typical day:

*Note- I've had to cut a bunch of things out as they are upsetting my stomach- nightshades, coconut, nuts and seeds sparingly.

Breakfast- 2 cups of vegetables (usually onions, spinach and broccoli) with 3 eggs scrambled in 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1/2 an avocado.

Lunch- Large salad (mixed greens, onions, carrots, radishes, cucumber) with 6-8 oz. fish, chicken, or hamburger. Two teaspoons of olive oil and vinegar 1/2 avocado

Dinner- 2 cup of sauteed vegetables (squash and zucchini, asparagus, chard and kale in a tbsp of olive oil) and 6-8 oz fish, chicken, or beef. 1/2 avocado.

Any suggestions on what I could change to lose weight? Anyone else dealing with severe food allergies or leaky gut experiencing the same thing?

• Moderators

The amount of food you are eating sounds appropriate. Sometimes you can do food right and still not lose weight. Other factors that matter are sleep, the condition of your hormones and hormonal rhythms, stress, gut bacteria, etc.

With leaky gut there is no such thing as "nuts and seeds sparingly". I believe they are irritating enough to hinder your progress. That has been my experience. I have been doing w30 since late January then switched over to IBS protocol, and with the exception of an occasional bell pepper ad ghee and almost full AIP. I have lost very little weight (I need to lose 10 to be at "ideal", whatever the heck that means anyways). But, I did take before and after pics around days 20 & 50 and even though my measurements and weight didn't change there was a perceptible difference in the shape of the outline of my body. A watched pot never boils. With leaky gut, it may take you 3-6 months of irritant free eating to heal that lining and that's when the inflammation is really going to subside and when you will finally be able to absorb nutrients and lose some weight. I want to encourage you to focus on healing the gut lining first and love the shape of your current body as mch and as often as you can. Find something else to focus on, like the quality of your bowel movements (a dead giveaway if you are healing- google for info if ou don't know what healthy bowel habits are like). And of course, all of the things Tom said. I recommend reading/re-reading ISWF in regards to IBS/AIP as the recommendations are relevant to leaky gut.

And on top of all that, I can sympathize with your disappointment- I feel it sometimes too- but please work past it and stay on course with w30- you won't find a better solution anywhere.

Another thing- I just read a lot about eggs (egg whites especially) crossing the gut lining with other particles piggy backing on them- and they wreak havoc. I love eggs but am swearing them off for several months until I feel safe experimenting again.

Archived