CALLING ALL UK Whole30/Post-Whole30-ers!

Ah I feared it might be this one, since it is the one that's widely available. It's a swizz imo, a product made by the same people as Red Bull, and is pasturized, so no live probiotics :( which is the whole point of kombucha.

It doesnt say anywhere on the label that it's pasteurised, it says in the ingredients it contains kombucha cultues and lactobacilli, so it does have the live probiotics. It says ingredients 100% of natural sources.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmmm, I was looking for info and it seems Derval there is some truth about Carpe Diem Kombucha, even though is not stated on the label.I would think it is not pausterised fully so some active cultures still remain, and that's how they can get away with mentioning on the label.

Anyway, found another place with better price to brew your own: http://happykombucha.co.uk/collections/continuous-brewing-kits which is what I want to do.

Where'd you live in the years between the US and the UK? What brought you here???

A few years travelling in Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand and about five years in Japan (where I met my British husband).

Thanks very much for all the good advice. I asked for the steak and salad plain and had steamed broccoli with it - a bit dull but nice enough. At the weekend I went to carluccios and had the poached chicken and prune salad with green beans and hazelnut. The dressing may no ave been compliant but the whole thing was delicious so I wasn't too fussed.

My in laws were fine until the chocolate came out and then were saying "I don't understand why you won't eat it, it's so good" etc so not exactly supportive! I survived though and am now on day 13 going strong and feeling good :-)

Glad to hear that your eating out went well. I'm sure my MIL always offers us biscuits and cakes when we call round but never eats them herself, so at least I know I won't have that chocolate problem.

wow, not cheap at all !

I will let you know whenever I order my kit how I get on. I am tired of drinking water, everynow and then pre whole30 I used to have a diet coke, diet ginger ale or diet 7up, so I miss a kick of something for every now and then,that's why I must persue to brew my own drink :rolleyes:

Christina - the slim is simple thing is an online video which explains Paleo quite well. I had seen someone post about it somewhere on the forum a couple of months ago.

I have not been about for the last week or so because things have been a bit hectic as we have been putting in our new kitchen. If it wasn't for whole30 and me spending more time in the kitchen I wouldn't have gotten so fed up so quickly with the last one. It really was rubbish though and we have been planning this for a couple of years. I have a gas hob now woo hoo!

I think I might give this kombucha thing a go.....I am interested after reading all these posts....

I'm off to build some Rationell.....

How's the new kitchen MrsMaggie? I got one about 18 months ago (we moved back in when my son was 9 weeks old - a few weeks behind schedule!!) and I still absolutely love cooking in it. I don't think I could have done Whole 30 without it as it involves so much cooking. I've got a Neff Circo steam oven which cooks meat and fish amazingly so I've been doing lots of experimenting with that,

Thanks also for all the advice on eating out - it's getting better, I'm finding it easier to be more demanding. Between my demands and the size of my toddler's mess, the service I'm leaving is nearly as big as the bill! There's a Chipotle now in Islington so going to go there this thursday and follow the forum's advice or for Japanese and just eat sashimi so that should be compliant.

Anyways ....

Does anyone buy any supplements in the UK? I;m interested in taking magnesium (for sleep) and fish oil (don't eat enough as husband allergic) but I had a quick look online and was just bamboozled by the choice. I don't really understand all the varying ingredients and combinations and want some that meet that ISWF recommendations esp on Omega balance so thought one of you might have already got it nailed ..... here's hoping!

I am tired of drinking water, everynow and then pre whole30 I used to have a diet coke, diet ginger ale or diet 7up, so I miss a kick of something for every now and then,that's why I must persue to brew my own drink :rolleyes:

New favourite drink: filtered sparkling water with half a lemon squeezed in... YUMMY!

Does anyone buy any supplements in the UK? I;m interested in taking magnesium (for sleep) and fish oil (don't eat enough as husband allergic) but I had a quick look online and was just bamboozled by the choice. I don't really understand all the varying ingredients and combinations and want some that meet that ISWF recommendations esp on Omega balance so thought one of you might have already got it nailed ..... here's hoping!

I honestly don't know about the recommendations, but the nutritionist I went to once - as well as the health food shop I frequent - recommend this company - http://www.natures-own.co.uk/ They have a line called Wholefood and another called Food State that are supposed to be as close to natural as possible. I've never had an overwhelmingly good reaction to supplements... they never seem to really do anything for me. Maybe I'd be worse if I wasn't on them? lol. If you look up the different supplements and find out if they meet recommendations, let me know!! =0)

I actually posted this in another area of this site... but I feel a certain kinship with my "UK W30-ers" and so would love to hear some feedback from you guys...

I'm not doing that great! I got sick at the beginning of this month and the only thing I wanted to eat for a week was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and OJ - and that's what I did!! And then I have been UNABLE to get myself back on the horse. =0( I don't understand why I can't do it. I feel better when I'm eating Whole30, but the cravings get the best of me and my will power is shot. I've done a 13 day W30, an 8 day W30 and a 14 day W30. My last one was the 14 days and ended on the 5th of April when I got sick. I attempted to restart again today {yesterday} and made it until dinner time. Then ate pasta and cookies and drank alcohol. The sugar dragon was overwhelming!

I guess you can all see that I'm feeling really overwhelmed and discouraged and like I can't get back going on the Whole30 and like nothing's working. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

I really feel for you Christina! It's tough, especially after getting over an illness. I'd suggest taking it one day at a time. Don't try and go straight from eating totally off plan to a strict Whole 30. Take a week or so to ease yourself back in to healthy ways, and then hopefully your sugar dragon won't go into panic mode and make you jump head first into the peanut butter jar (what a thought!). Most importantly, be patient and kind with yourself and imagine what you'd say to someone asking you for the same advice.

I've chosen a steak restaurant tonight called Flat Iron so am hoping for some plain grilled steak and an undressed salad - fingers crossed

How was Flat Iron? I've been wanting to try it but steering clear during my W30 - did you find any good options on the menu?

It was good. The menu is very short even for non-W30'ers - I had the steak plain grilled (they usually serve it with a buerre noisette) with steamed broccoli and a plain undressed salad. It was a good steak, and really good value at £10 for the steak, but the whole thing overall was a bit dull. I would wait until after your W30 to enjoy it. I've generally found eating out very frustrating during my W30 as it's usually a treat but because you need to have the food so plain to avoid non compliant stuff, I've actually found the food I'm cooking at home much nicer. I'm going to the Delauaney on Wednesday night for my last W30 eating out - I'm out again on Saturday night but have decided to finish my W30 a few hours early to enjoy my dinner.

OK, good to know! I have been enjoying my W30 but missing the social side of going out to eat. I guess in the US the culture might be different (in terms of asking for menu changes) but I just hate going to good London restaurants and asking them to change every item on the menu, it feels so fussy!!

Anyway, glad to hear you've managed it - I'm impressed! I'll definitely check out Flat Iron once my W30 is done :-)

Enjoy the Delauney!!

Great to have found this thread. We've been living Paleo since Jan 1st but just started a Whole30 on Sunday. Going well so far but good to read all the food tips on here.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to have found this thread. We've been living Paleo since Jan 1st but just started a Whole30 on Sunday. Going well so far but good to read all the food tips on here.

Hi Liza, you're just down the road from me! Hope the W30 is going well so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all -- been quiet here for a while. I'm in Wiltshire and going to start my first Whole 30 on 5th June. Been flirting with Paleo for a while, but you know how it is ...

ANYWAYS ... stock. As in, I live on soup, usually Paleo friendly (beetroot and coconut milk; carrot and creamed coconut; cauliflower and onion etc). Had a look for any Whole 30 friendly stocks in various places and couldn't find any. Short of making my own (which I have done but cannot on a regular basis) or using just water (which I will if need be) ... any suggestions? I picked up some vegan marigold swiss vegetable bouillon but it has rice flour and palm oil so a W30 no-no (might be better than others for post W30?) ... any thoughts/suggestions?

Also -- smoked salmon. Anyone found any that doesn't have sugar? All the ones I've found so far are cured with salt AND sugar (or do you turn a blind eye because it is just a small amount?).

Thank-you!

Hi Semolina, I'm afraid smoked salmon is out if it conatains any amount of sugar but Lidl's sells Scottish smoked salmon which is just salmon and salt, that's the only place I've found it. As to stock, Waitrose Cook's Ingredients, beef, chicken, lamb and vegetable liquid stock in 500ml containers are all compliant. Unfortunately their fish stock has white wine in it so it's not. I'm pretty sure Knorr Simply Stock liquid containers vegetable and chicken are OK as well. I've definitely found compliant liquid stock easier to source than cubes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone - Hope you are all well!

I haven't been on here for a while, but visited the Wholefoods shop in Giffnock today :D and it made me think of this thread. I was so excited about going and had great fun spilling hazelnuts everywhere with my 3 year old. Then she saw the giant meringues! :blink:

Life has been very busy and hectic since I have returned to work full time after my second maternity leave. It seems to be the middle of June, and it was the beginning of March just yesterday. I am still breastfeeding my now one year old. Long term lack of sleep + stressful demanding day job = sugar dragon has reared its head (his name is chocolate btw).

My plan - 

1. Resign from management position at work, to do non management role - less money but less stress, better quality of life and less bait for dragon, so to speak. I have done this and just waiting for them to get my replacement. Wanted to do this for 2 yrs.

2. Cut out chocolate from now.

3. Start Whole30 from mid July when have returned from Eurocamp holiday to France.

4. Brew my own Kombucha - bought a bottle for first time at WholeFoods market today, mmmm interestingly tasty!

I would like to add that towards the end of my January Whole30, my non paleo husband was open to having a paleo/whole30 evening meal, but I would still wind him up about having his two rolls for lunch every day. I used to say "oh your dinner is paleo, its only a matter of time before your lunch goes that way, you know you won't get that mid afternoon sluggishness if you eat a better lunch ..."

Lo and behold, all of a sudden he has decided he wants to take a fun and interesting salad to work every day (with some starchy veg if he is playing football at lunchtime lol) and has been making our salads the night before.

Brilliant!!

He still has banana on toast for breakfast though (with MY almond butter!!)

Although we made some pistachio butter today at the shop so he can have that hehe

;)

Kirsteen - is the gokombucha website the best place to buy stuff for making it or Ebay?

Thanks

Hello Ladies!

I'm back after an extended absence (read: eating SAD during that time!) and back on the W30 bandwagon since June 1.  To keep myself more accountable this time I'm documenting all my food on my facebook page: www.facebook.com/PracticingPrimal.  I also am doing a Tips & Tricks / You May Be Feeling daily post based on my previous attempts, stuff I've learned about Whole30 / Primal / Paleo and how I'm feeling this time around.  When I feel obligated to other people I'm more successful at things (unfortunately!).  Feel free to LIKE my fb page and support me on there with my daily stuff! 

Anyway, I did want to tell Semolina that Tesco's organic smoked salmon was compliant, but it seems to have disappeared from the shelves in my area of England.  :angry: 

And, THANK YOU Kirsteen for the sourcing smoked salmon and stock tips!

This is the one I have used in the past, maybe a mod can confirm it is indeed complianthttp://www.aussiehealthproducts.com.au/vegetable-stock.php?id=MSBC&Marigold-Swiss-Organic-Bouillon-Cubes-Red-84gmI have never seen smoked salmon with sugar here..strange.

All of the smoked salmon I find in the supermarkets in England has sugar in except Lidl!

Archived