what do you like from Publix?

ceegee25

Hi all,

I'm going to visit my parents for a week in Florida, and I'm in the middle of my first W30. They are nowhere near a Whole Foods or Trader Joes, but they ARE within walking distance to a Publix.

I'm from NJ so I'm not familiar with Publixes (Publii?). I plan on reading my labels and getting my standard goodies, (and most grocery stores are the same) but for any of you that frequent Publix regularly, do you have any tips on good products/brands to look out for? Any specialties?

Thanks!!!

• Moderators

I buy Publix brand roasted/salted macadamia nuts and maybe canned beets. They carry some good olives, but I can't remember the brand. The stores have a small organic vegetable/fruit section and usually a good selection of meat and fish. You can certainly eat well shopping at Publix, but since I have a farm nearby and a Whole Foods, I mostly buy paper towels and cat litter at Publix.

We just took a little swing around Publix last night to check out some of their things. It was late, so we were able to ask the deli guy to get the meat out, and really look at things. Our publix does not carry grass-fed beef, or any compliant chicken or pork sausage. Additionally, none of the deli meats are compliant.

What I would suggest? Stock up on the awesome organic veggies, buy their beef and lamb and their highest quality eggs. You could make your own clarified butter, and they may carry coconut oil (I didn't check). They do have lots of dry roasted nuts.

You should be ok, but you won't have access to grass-fed meats, pastured chicken eggs or any of the delicious sausages that we are able to get at our local EarthFare.

Have fun!

Thanks guys! I'll def check out the nut section and the veggies. I was planning on making my own mayo and clarified butter (partly for selfish reasons; I want to prove to my mom how much more delicious they are!). Yay!

My Publix near Jacksonville carries grass-fed beef and bison. I also often ask the seafood counter for wild caught shrimp or salmon.

They have a small section of organic fruit and veg, but for a week, it will definitely be enough. I only go to Publix in an emergency now as Whole Foods and a mom and pop grocery called Native Sun are my home.

As a suggestion: check to see if there are any farmer's markets near where you will be visiting. Always something nearby and I stock up on my off weeks with my CSA delivery.

Good luck!

Where are you going in Florida? Publix is mostly an emergency run for me. However in some cities there are Publix Greenwise and they have organic vegetables and a large organic section ( you will still have to read the labels). My Publix has an organic 1/2 aisle. It has some compliant stuff like coconut oil, almond butter (watch maranth a and read ingredients --for some reason there are 2 kinds!), and a small organic vegetable section. I don't buy meat t publix soi don't know. If there is a kosher butcher near where you are going you may be able to get kosher organic but its out of sight expensive. I get compliant sausage there!!! Also Florida has Costco. Is there a Costco near your mom?

My advice--check a bag and bring some staples.

Thanks so much, guys! I ended up using Publix for the grass fed beef, pork, and cashews. I couldn't find a compliant chicken sausage but I DID get Kerrygold to make clarified butter. And they had some delicious wild caught shrimps. So I survived, but I definitely missed my TJ and farmer's mkts!

Archived