BHT on nuts...

fierroaj

I was forced to do my grocery shopping in the midst of a recent snowstorm (bad one) and couldn't make it to my regular Co-Op to buy bulk nuts, so I bought unsalted, unroasted nuts from the baking aisle and intended to roast them myself when I got home. I didn't even think to look at the ingredients, I should have...it states that BHT has been added to maintain freshness. I looked this up online and it states that it is a perservative to keep them from going rancid.

From what I read online it seems that BHT is very controversial...so now I don't know if these are okay to eat, or not.

Do they put this on ALL nuts? I ask because I usually buy mine from the bulk bins at the Co-Op and have never really been able to read the find print on the bins. I just buy the raw nuts.

Thankfully, I don't eat that many...and haven't eaten any of these ones I just bought, yet.

But, does anyone know anything about BHT? I suspect this is not compliant...is it? So confused...feeling so scammed...took me long enough to find a can of tuna that didn't have soy...

Why do they have to ruin everything??

Ok...whew! I won't freak out then...I read labels like a fiend now and if I see anything with an acronym or letters that I don't recognize, I am on it like stink on a skunk trying to figure out what the heck it is...

I realize I shouldn't be nervous about everything and also realize that not everything on the web is 100% accurate...but still.

Better to ask then to find out I ruined 25 days of hard work on one closed handful of macademia nuts! Especially when I just added them back into my kitchen!! Do you know what I mean?

I was thinking it was like an omen or something...Andrea should not buy or consume tree nuts...period. LOL!

I have been avoiding BHT since I read what else it's used in. This is taken from www.saveourbones.com:

BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene): this common additive used to prevent oxidation in a wide variety of foods and cosmetics is listed by the National Toxicology Program (NTP) in 2005 as “reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen†on the basis of experimental findings in animals. It is also used in jet fuels, rubber petroleum products, transformer oil and embalming fluid. As if this were not enough, the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) warns that BHT should not be allowed to enter the environment, can cause liver damage, and is harmful to aquatic organisms.

So scary what's allowed in our food these days.

Archived