LiverLove

Nadia B

Alright, you asked for it. Below are my saved recipes that I've tried or similar to what I've done before.

My thoughts on organ meats:

- Eating them makes sense in terms of whole paleo frame. I doubt cavepeople ate boneless skinless chicken breast :) That's why we like naturally occuring fat or good stuff from joints in our broth.

- All these parts are insanely nutrient dense = good for you. I mean VERY good for you.

- Chicken organ meats are the most delicate in flavor. Beef is for hardcore liver eaters.

- Start by sneaking in some liver into your meatballs.

- When in doubt add lots of onions, garlic and bacon. Or just wrap it in bacon. That's the general rule. Always.

Stuff to read:

Quick Guide to Purchasing, Preparing and Eating Organ Meats

Liver: nature's most potent superfood.

Why Everyone Should Be Eating Organ Meat

Roll the sleeves up:

Best chicken liver pate ever

Beef liver pate

Basil, cinnamon, cranberry chicken and heart pate

Liver and cranberries meatballs

Roasted Squash and Liver Meatballs

Beef liver with bacon and mushrooms

Beef Liver With Parsley-Onions & Lemon

Liverwurst (pork)

Liver chili

Poultry gizzards and heart

Skillet Sauteed Beef Heart

Sauteed Beef Kidneys

Chicken gizzards in saffron sauce (recipe is in Spanish, google will help you, it's worth it)

**For desperate people only**No taste liver**

Liver pills

Does anyone need a beef tongue recipes too?

Enjoy!

I'm so excited that you posted this! I just placed an order with US Wellness Meats for Beef Liver and Sugar-Free Bacon that should be here next week and I was wondering about ways to make it other than the plain pan-fried. I also bought some chicken livers the other day so I see a nice batch of Liver Pate in my future! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch, I am sorry to hear that. What exactly has happened? Strong taste? Dry texture? Can you specify, please? As I say in my post, straight beef liver is for pro-eaters.

It was a combo of the gamey taste and the chewy texture, mostly the texture. That's why I think pâté could work. I remember tasting it a long time ago and liking it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Nadia! I just checked online and people are saying it's ok to freeze it so I've got a Plan B. Though if it's as delicious as the recipe sounds, I don't think there'll be much hanging around :)

• Moderators

Mmhhh 5 days to a week? Mine never lasts longer. LadyM, what's your experience? I know you are a liver pate friend :)

Ditto. And I almost always have some chicken liver pate on hand. It's so great to just grab a knob of it when I get home famished. Tides me over until I can cook a proper dinner. So good. It also is one of the sweetest things I eat these days (what a reversal from my sugar binge days) so it's nice for that reason, too.

Ditto. And I almost always have some chicken liver pate on hand. It's so great to just grab a knob of it when I get home famished. Tides me over until I can cook a proper dinner. So good. It also is one of the sweetest things I eat these days (what a reversal from my sugar binge days) so it's nice for that reason, too.

I gotta make mine this week! Missed my grass-fed meat farmers' market run yesterday so am desperate for meat. Where do you all get good liver?

Hey-oooooo!

So I picked up a bunch of ingredients yesterday ...

post-23725-0-34471400-1368873997_thumb.j

... and turned them into this today:

post-23725-0-99409600-1368874043_thumb.j

Waiting for it to set in the fridge but had a taste from the bowl and it's pretty yummy!

Husband was disappointingly undisgusted at the introduction of offal into the house. His comment was directed towards the duck fat: "Can you make me chips (fries) with it?". (We saw fries cooked in duck fat on a Rick Stein episode once, I think eating them is now on his bucket list).

Thank you Nadia for giving me the push to do this. I never, in a million years, thought I would ever attempt making pâté.

Liver love to you all xxx

I think I'm almost ready to jump on the liver band wagon. I'm reading a book on natural fertility and liver is on the meal plan. I think I'm going to start with patte as well. Please ask me about this as I'm still convincing myself. :-)

almost ready? I am a reformed liver-hater, but I still don't love pate. I LOVE meatballs made with ground lamb mixed with lamb liver (I puree the liver with an egg, some onion, parsley or cilantro and garlic+sometimes cumin. that mix makes the binder for the meatballs.) so so good. yum. and it makes me feel really good, maybe from the iron? so much that I crave it. good stuff.

almost ready? I am a reformed liver-hater, but I still don't love pate. I LOVE meatballs made with ground lamb mixed with lamb liver (I puree the liver with an egg, some onion, parsley or cilantro and garlic+sometimes cumin. that mix makes the binder for the meatballs.) so so good. yum. and it makes me feel really good, maybe from the iron? so much that I crave it. good stuff.

That sounds good too. I'm pretty sure I saw lamb liver at my food co-op last time I was stocking up on meat.

It's right there, in the first post - "start by sneaking liver into your meatballs". Good luck. What do you have to lose after all except of 5$? :P

Pate is not my fav either, I love it, but I love my liver muffins or meatballs more. So many cool thing to mix in.

Thank you Nadia for giving me the push to do this. I never, in a million years, thought I would ever attempt making pâté.

Liver love to you all xxx

Good girl! Heart and liver thing is on my cooking list today too.

Hubby is a trooper and will be accepted to the offal crowd :D

Believe it or not, but a year ago I would throw up at the word liver. Stupid me. So many years of NOT eating it. What a waste. Ahah

Archived