Where to Buy Good, Young Ripe Coconut

maryteam2

Hey,

My first attempt at coconut was a bust. I bought coconuts that had plenty of water in them. However, the meat is hard as a rock and difficult to get out.

Can someone tell me what to look for when buying a young coconut? Also, what are the best stores to buying a young coconut?

Apparently, it is pretty easy to get the meat out of young coconuts.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mary

They have young thai coconuts at my whole foods and my co-op, and I tried them a few times, but I think this is one of those things that should actually be more scarce. They don't travel well or stay fresh long, so the ones you can get in the midwest are dipped in bleach and other chemicals and inside they are on the edge or way over-ripe (red slimy mold is common). I would save this adventure for when travelling to a tropical location (or living in Florida, lol). The meat is kind of like pudding if your coconut is young and fresh.

For the mature coconuts, yeah, I think you bake them and the meat shrinks a little and falls out of the broken shell.

I just feel like a song!!!!....

Brother bought a coconut

He bought it for a dime.

His sister had another

She paid it for the lime.

She put the lime in the coconut

she drank them both up.

she put the lime in the coconut

she called the doctor, woke him up, and said

"Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take"

I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?"

I said, "Doctor ain't there nothing I can take"

I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?"

They have young thai coconuts at my whole foods and my co-op, and I tried them a few times, but I think this is one of those things that should actually be more scarce. They don't travel well or stay fresh long, so the ones you can get in the midwest are dipped in bleach and other chemicals and inside they are on the edge or way over-ripe (red slimy mold is common). I would save this adventure for when travelling to a tropical location (or living in Florida, lol). The meat is kind of like pudding if your coconut is young and fresh.

For the mature coconuts, yeah, I think you bake them and the meat shrinks a little and falls out of the broken shell.

I absolutely LOVE young coconuts and think they are quite easy to crack open. Blending the meat and water together makes the most amazing coconut milk I have ever had. However, I have read the same info that missmary refers to about young coconut. I think they are quite treated to keep them white looking. I have read about formaldehyde and other gas treatments prior to arriving in the U.S. Seems like there might be better options.

Archived