Green Peas

JaneA

I've scoured the forum and can't find this. I know snow peas and green beans are ok, but what about plain frozen green peas? My kids love them. Are they a "legume exception" or are they out?

• 1 month later...

Hi Laura, yes it's quite sad that there are a lot of recipes out there on the web which claim to be W30 and are, frankly, nowhere near it. I've found recipes using white potatoes, maple syrup, all sorts of noncompliant foods. That's why it's always a good idea to run any recipe past the W30 shopping list http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf if you're not sure about the ingredients.

I love peas and have since I was a child and would forgo rice for peas (I refused to eat rice on my plate so that my Mother would keep giving me peas).  I just cannot understand why they are forbidden.  They cause me no distress (black beans or kidney beans on the other hand - gastic upset!).  They taste great, are nutritionally sound and are whole food.  And aren't they in a grey area - not really legumes?

This is from Mark Sisson on MarksDailyApple.com - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/peas-are-smart/#axzz2Vl09wTkI

And this specifically -

Peas and green beans are, botanically speaking, legumes. And since I generally recommend against the consumption of legumes, it seems to follow that the consumption of peas and green beans is “not Primal.†But hold on. Peas and green beans eaten fresh – not dried – are young seeds picked when unripe. The type of legumes we're wary of are dried beans – beans that are allowed to dry on the vine until they rattle in their pods. Green beans and fresh peas are picked before they dry. In fact, green beans and peas have been bred to be digestible, palatable, and easily cooked before maturation. No lab-coated genetic modification, just good old fashioned selective breeding – the stuff we've been doing for tens of thousands of years.

I'm on Day 8 of the Whole30 and am loving it.  I admit (head down, looking sheepish) that I still need to purchase It Starts with Food, but I promise I'm going to!  I have read this website top to bottom though.  I ignored where it said peas were forbidden.  I admit it.  I've been eating them (not a ton, though, by any means) and I don't feel I'm cheating and I'm cetainly not going to start over.

With that said - I'm not eating bacon, not even the sugar-free kind.  So, there's my trade-off, I suppose.

• 2 months later...

OH-Em-Gee, I want to cry!!!!! I am on day 19 and just had about 2 tablespoons of peas in my caulirice without giving any thought to it, please somebody tell me I don't have to start over :(

If you read the responses above, one of the mods answered the OP's restart question...

Archived