Grassfed beef tallow

nutmegananne

Yes, duckfat is a favorite of mine. I used to buy it already rendered, but then my husband and I fell in love with duck confit, and we make it a couple of times a month (in fact, I'm making it tonight). There's always a ton of duckfat leftover that I strain through cheesecloth and store in the fridge, and use it for veggies, chicken, roasted sweet potatoes...YUM YUM!

Susan, this is the recipe I use...and it has been absolutely foolproof!! The hardest part is sourcing the duck legs!! I've ordered them from d'artagnan ($$$$ but really good), had a local butcher order me some, used free range frozen ones from a local grocer, and found local -ish ones at a huge farmer's market (DeKalb Farmer's Mkt for you ATL locals) but they don't always have them in. Bascially, you need the duck legs, a casserole dish, and a few hours :)

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_duck_confit/

I am sooo jealous. i went to google to see if I could find a source of beef tallow over here. I got pneumatic beef tallow sealant tool grease guns and glittering beef tallow essence nail polish. Neither is quite what i had in mind :huh:. i am definitely going to try the duck though, it sounds delish,

I am sooo jealous. i went to google to see if I could find a source of beef tallow over here. I got pneumatic beef tallow sealant tool grease guns and glittering beef tallow essence nail polish. Neither is quite what i had in mind :huh:. i am definitely going to try the duck though, it sounds delish,

If you can get good long bones or crosscut shank bones from grassfed cows and make broth, strain and cool you can get a nice thick layer of fat for cooking with. Little different than the fat for tallow, but good and good for you nonetheless. Plus cheap and easy.

Kirsteen, you might have more luck searching for beef dripping?

Duh! There should be an icon for facepalms. Shows I've been hanging round on american boards too long - I'm even beginning to talk like them :D thanks so much for reminding me. Waitrose sells it and this stuff http://www.cleannutrition.co.uk/p/Beef_dripping/270400e3072e4fbaaac8e32fbc29c398/69e03ab2af364e8e9336e7eb08757d0a/ looks really lush but unfortunately they don't deliver up here.

I have used the fat from bones and love it but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get good bones lately. the ones from wholefoods never seem to have much fat

Duh! There should be an icon for facepalms. Shows I've been hanging round on american boards too long - I'm even beginning to talk like them thanks so much for reminding me. Waitrose sells it and this stuff http://www.cleannutrition.co.uk/p/Beef_dripping/270400e3072e4fbaaac8e32fbc29c398/69e03ab2af364e8e9336e7eb08757d0a/ looks really lush but unfortunately they don't deliver up here.

I have used the fat from bones and love it but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get good bones lately. the ones from wholefoods never seem to have much fat

Hmm..was that an American slam? Sigh.

Beef tallow and the stuff that floats at the top of broth are very different.

Beef marrow bones never have a lot of fat. They are shin bones.

Hmm..was that an American slam? Sigh.

:) Yep, it was a Homer Simpson one. When I can get knuckles from the farmer, they provide a lot of fat, which I love. It looks like the only dripping I could buy would not be organic but Waitrose do have a good reputation for sourcing their meat so I may look into it further.

Thanks Derval, that's a fascinating site, tad spendy though (for their meat not the dripping :)) Bummer that they have nitrate free bacon but it has sugar and sausages free from all nasties except cornstarch :( Really tempted by the dripping though. thanks again

Ha! I was about to write "Make tallow candles." I've been re-reading the As Song of Ice and Fire books (Game of Thrones) and they are always talking about tallow candles. And lo and behold, on the Fatworks twitter page, I see that they had a contest the night of the GoT premier for tallow references in the books.

I have an image of a tallow candle making a very nice, soft light.

Archived