100 mile whole30?

jill011

Has anyone done the 100 mile diet along with whole30 simultaneously? I'm considering giving it a try this summer! I would have to give up my coffee and coconut milk but other than that I can't think of too much else that would be terribly different. I did the 100 mile diet for 15 days a few years ago and learned a lot about local food sources and what is and isn't available locally...had the hardest time with wheat! but seeing as though that is not an issue on whole30 I feel like it might be a whole lot easier this time around...

• Moderators

I frequently take a swing at everyone who wants to combine a Whole30 with any other approach to eating, but I have no objection to the 100 mile diet. I have never done one and don't plan to start now, but I have no objection.

I didn't intentionally, but so much of what I eat (particularly in the summer when I did my first whole30) is from within 100 miles anyway. Off the top of my head, I'd be without coffee, coconut milk or any coconut products, olive oil and cinnamon. Depending on where you live, it might be either easier or harder for you. Salt could be another consideration...as would winter squash in summer or a lot of veggies in the winter.

Definitely pick the best season before you attempt it though!

I love your idea!! I try and eat locally as much as I can year round and we do a pretty good job with it. We try and focus on buying as much as we can locally and not get too upset about the things we still choose to eat that aren't local. I do keep track of my food budget and what percent is spent locally - we hover around 65% average. I think buying from local businesses for those items that aren't local is just as important and impactful. And we like to buy farmer direct for some items not available in our area - almonds, olive oil & citrus. For us it takes quite a bit of prep work to eat a mostly local diet. I process food like crazy in Aug, Sept & Oct. to stock up for the winter. Things we would need to give up....avocados, bananas, fresh red peppers (I freeze roasted red peppers & they are lovely), sweet potatoes and lemons all are regular use items that come to mind. I hope you post about your experience if you decide to do it.

Archived