Slow Cooker Spare Ribs

CraftyCarnivore

I'd forgotten to report back!

I did it with beef short ribs. Not recommended!

The meat was delicious, so it clearly wasn't recipe/technique. The ribs were just too fatty for us and it was a lot of work for not much return in terms of eating them. I definitely want to do it again with spare ribs though.

On the plus side, after we ate the ribs, I tossed the bones back in my slow cooker with ACV and water to make broth. I wasn't sure it worked out alright until the other night when I went to use it in a saute and it was like using jello! Talk about gelatin!! And once it melted in my cast iron skillet, I thought I was in heaven. Yum!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I'd forgotten to report back!

I did it with beef short ribs. Not recommended!

The meat was delicious, so it clearly wasn't recipe/technique. The ribs were just too fatty for us and it was a lot of work for not much return in terms of eating them. I definitely want to do it again with spare ribs though.

On the plus side, after we ate the ribs, I tossed the bones back in my slow cooker with ACV and water to make broth. I wasn't sure it worked out alright until the other night when I went to use it in a saute and it was like using jello! Talk about gelatin!! And once it melted in my cast iron skillet, I thought I was in heaven. Yum!!!

Generally when you cook with short ribs you want to cook a day ahead so you can chill and let the (yummy) fat separate and rise to the top. Otherwise they may be too greasy. I have not found this to be as much of an issue with gras-fed, but I guess it depends how fatty you like your dishes and what the dish is.

Archived