Yuck.

rattnroll

Hello all!

So I'm close to completion of the Whole 30 (9 days to go) which has actually turned into a Whole 40 something because I restarted. Still confused about how all of that works...anyway...

Today was the first day I have had to dine out somewhere. Not only did I have to have lunch out, but I am also going to have dinner this evening. It has already driven me bananas, and I'm scared that I am going to get sick.

First up was lunch, where my only option was to order a salad with hard-boiled eggs. I asked for oil and vinegar, and when I tried to put the vinegar on the salad, this goopy long thing erupted out of the bottle (it was pretty apparent it had not been used in a while). I thought it was just red-wine vinegar but it may have been rasberry? There was not much on my salad, but I am totally skeeved out by this.

And now I am contemplating dinner. The restaurant has a gluten free menu, but the majority of it is not W30 compliant. I was thinking I could just order a burger with no bun, no cheese, etc. and a side salad? I'm just so worried about what is being served, and I hate asking servers 10 million questions.

I love W30, and I plan to stay pretty compliant after the end of my Whole 30/40...I don't think I should restart after the vinegar experience....right?

I guess I just needed to vent because this really takes the joy out of dining out!!!

Oh definitely don't restart. Being a new kombucha maker, I am going to say the goop was part of the grape must or yeasties. They do form at the bottom of the bottles sometimes.

I think you should relax a little. Have a steak or grilled fish and a double order of grilled veggies. Make it clear you want no butter on either and then relax and enjoy. :0)

Don't be afraid to ask questions. I was feeling the same way when I first ate out after my first Whole30 - but we do have to ride our own bike and live life to the fullest! I think it kind of fun to see what the servers actually know about the food on the menu...my whole table of friends roared with laughter the day I asked a server what was in the house vinaigrette and she replied, "Um, it's just vinaigrette...there is nothing else in it." It took several more questions to get to the actual ingredients by way of a manager who had to dig up an ingredient list.

Here is what I have found...most chain restaurants are sketchy. If you can find a good, local restaurant - your chances are greater at finding an amazing meal. If things don't look promising, then I go with salad and slices of lemon (most restaurants even mix canola in with their EVOO for tableside) - and then order a protein, like grilled steak, fish, or chicken and I ask them to grill it dry (meaning I don't want them to dip it in oil prior to placing it on the grill).

Like they say in ISWF...just do the best you can and eat as clean as you can the rest of the time. Remember, this is about freedom...eating should not be a chore or something you dread. Eating out, for me, has become more about being with friends and family and less about eating...I know, my next meal at home will be amazing and this kind of attitude seems to take the pressure off of the often less than stellar meal at the restaurant. Plus, I always pack roasted cashews in my bag...so I have something to nosh on while they are eating appetizers, etc.

You can do this...relax, have fun...enjoy the freedom!!

Thank you guys! I think I hate asking questions because I have been a server, and it was definitely not my favorite job in the world!

For me, dining out is such a nice break because I cook so often that cooking has become the chore - dining out once a month or so used to be an escape. I'm so scared to just go off the rails, and that I may feel ok afterwards, and that will mean falling off the wagon entirely.

It is funny how addictive food can be isn't it? I've never had an issue with any kind of addictive substance like cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, etc., but food is definitely my addiction.

I agree about calling ahead...I also try and pull up menus online before getting there, which takes off some of the pressure when getting there and I can relax more while visiting with friends.

I, too, always preface it with "I know I am being difficult, but I have some dietary restrictions..." and I ALWAYS make sure I tip well...especially if the server goes out of their way to accommodate my requests with regard to the menu, etc.

My daughter has worked as a server to earn extra cash to pay for textbooks and other incidentals through college...so I have heard the horror stories of problem customers and I never ever want to be "one of those people"! LOL!

It has been scary living life post-Whole30...but somehow it just works and when something doesn't work out according to my best laid plans...I know I can fall right back into Whole30 living at the very next meal! I love it...no more beating myself up, no more negative mindset, no more cravings or feeling deprived...man, does that feel good.

Archived