Anyone have a good whole chicken recipe?

countrygirl

I love this recipe (replacing the milk with watered down coconut milk):

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-in-milk

It was my first time cooking whole chicken and it came out great. I reduced the sauce down afterwards and it's turned into this mellow garlicky lemony creamy awesomeness that I've been spooning onto my eggs in the morning.

• 1 month later...

Hey Pea what a good idea, I usually freeze my bones and make a big pot of stock out of my bones when I have lots, then I can the soup stock for further use. but as I am cooking a crock pot chicken today I am going to do this.  Yum

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I did Zenbelly's perfect roasted chicken the other night.  Took the bird directly from the grocery store package, tied the feet together and belted the wings to the body with some more kitchen string, ground rock salt all over it, front, back, sides and then rubbed that in. Baked uncovered in a stoneware pan for 75 minutes at 425F.  The chicken was amazing!!!!!!!

http://zenbellycatering.com/2012/03/18/perfect-roast-chicken/

I like mine slow roasted...

http://www.food.com/recipe/slow-roasted-whole-chicken-215980

only difference is I roast breast side down til about 1/2 hr left then turn over to brown the breast. I also play around with the seasonings. Today's bird had a combo of ghee and coconut oil smeared on it, squeezed a whole lime over it and placed the rind in the cavity. S&P, garlic, savory and tarragon sprinkled all over it. Yummy!

I like to keep my roast chicken really simple. The chicken should be room temperature before cooking as should all meat. Season it with salt & pepper then bung it in a really hot oven, 220c, then turn the oven down to 180c after couple of minutes. Roast it until it is about 90% cooked which of course depends on the size of the bird. Take it out of the oven, wrap in foil and leave to rest for 30mins. During the 30mins it cooks out the last 10% with the residual heat, doesn't get dry and overcooked and the meat is really juicy and tender after resting. 

Someone mentioned earlier washing chicken. The advice on this changed to say that you should never do this, if you do and the chicken is infected with salmonella or any other food poisoning bug you run a very high risk of spraying the bugs all over your sink and surrounding surfaces leading to cross contamination. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use Ree Drummond/Pioneer Woman's method.  425*, slather the skin with softened ghee mixed with herbs/garlic/lemon zest/salt, toss some sliced lemons and herbs in the cavity.  Go for about 1 1/2 hours--get a gorgeous crispy mahogany skin and moist meat.  I often toss some carrots and fingerling potatoes around the bird(s) too, so it's all done and easy.

Archived