long hours in the library and inevitable snacking--suggestions?

mcgoogle

So I'm currently in law school and finals are right around the bend. I started the whole 30 Monday because law school finals period is when i notoriously eat THE WORST, and further endless amounts of snacks when im putting in 12-15 hours in the library a day. I'll be fine with meals, because I can plan them out and bring them to school (as I can with snacks), but I know on the whole30, generally snacks aren't recommended. Realistically I don't see myself sitting for long stretches in the library without an occasional snack to get me through and was wondering if anyone had any advice. Historically, I reach for chocolate, and obviously thats out, but if anyone has any advice i'd appreciate! thanks!

Make whatever you choose for your snack a "minimeal". It should contain all of the same choices from the template that your regular meals would contain. Think hardboiled egg and some carrot sticks, or compliant beef with some homemade mayo wrapped in lettuce leaves...Nuts are good as PART of that, but historically, end up being food with no brakes.

Good luck with your finals!

I know when I was studying for long periods of time, I would set myself hourly brakes. First hour I would make a cup of tea, & then drink it whenever I "needed" something to snack. Second hour would be to get up, walk around & make another cup & I would repeat this for the 8-10hrs I was studying. I found I didn't need to eat something, it was just being bored with whatever I was reading, & getting up and moving would put the thought away. Granted I was studying at home & not a library, but you could still do the same. With a thermos etc

Of course PP suggestions for actual snacks are good too.

Good luck!!!!

Ok...I had this same problem and, so, I will stop and give you a mini-lecture. If you are eating enough at your meals, you should not be snacking in between...so if you are, you are not eating enough at mealtime...but I do understand and as other people have suggested you will want to make them mini-meals and not "snacks".

Some suggestions:

sliced carrots with homemade guacamole...celery with almond butter...a half of a sweet potato drizzled with coconut milk and sprinkled with chopped roasted cashews...hard boiled egg...mineral water...water in general...

I would avoid fruit and nuts. Like other people have mentioned these can be foods without brakes and your brain will or can read fruit as sugar and will fool you into thinking you need fruit (fructose) everytime you study.

End of lecture, here: You may want to try and think about why you are wanting to snack during study time...high stress, tired, dehydrated...etc. You may want to avoid snacking during study/work/writing times...it may be more emotional than hunger...and avoid caffeine at this time, too...push more to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate...at the end of the Whole30, see if you feel the difference in your academic abilities.

:) Good luck!! Study hard!!

Archived