Comments on how much I eat

dianavuong

So I was packing my lunch for tomorrow and my mother asked me if that was just for one meal and if I was eating it by myself. I filled a 30 ounce container with a Thai curry I made. There must be about 6 ounces of beef and the rest vegetables. She has me really self conscious now and thinking I'm over-eating. I'm kinda stressed out about it and now really bummed...

If you are following the template, it is almost impossible to overeat on this plan. You physically can't eat that much vegetable. I was amazed during my first Whole30. I'd go shopping once a week, and my fridge would be so packed with veggies, I'd think there was no way I could ever eat all that, but by the end of the week, I'd have half a cucumber and one sweet potato left.

Instead of feeling stressed about those comments, just smile and enjoy the fact that you can now eat all you want of real food, and still be healthy, while the rst of the world still thinks they have to weigh and count and measure.

My mom is always concerned I won't get enough calcium (um, broccoli?) or vitamin D (um, go outside?)

It's just a mom being protective. It's really hard to overeat beef and vegetables when there is no added sugar. Your body will tell you when to stop!

My mom is always concerned I won't get enough calcium (um, broccoli?) or vitamin D (um, go outside?)

It's just a mom being protective. It's really hard to overeat beef and vegetables when there is no added sugar. Your body will tell you when to stop!

It's not unheard of that I can polish a pound of vegetables off in addition to whatever protein I'm eating. Would that be too much?

Thank you for all your replies. I'm feeling better now knowing that even though I'm eating a lot, it's all nutritious foods and miles away from the junk I was feeding myself before. I'm Post Whole30 now but have been too afraid to re-introduce foods into my diet so I've still been eating Whole30 even though I'm not really W30 anymore...

I guess I'm just concerned about weight gain at this point.

Please, don't stress. It might not be the last time you get comments about what you eat, so keep calm. Do you feel healthy, full and happy eating like this? Answering this question would probably be the best way to evaluate the situation.

I think that 30 days are just the start. Give your body some more time to adjust to your new way of eating. Finally it is getting all the nutrients it was missing. Let it do it's job and settle at the right amount of food it needs.

Good luck!

It's not unheard of that I can polish a pound of vegetables off in addition to whatever protein I'm eating. Would that be too much?

Diana, I can eat a whole head of chard plus a half pound of asparagus and a sweet potato at one meal! LOL

I had the same comments by friends and family when I was doing my first Whole30...and I lost 12 pounds and went down 2.5 numbers on the BMI chart, which is HUGE in my book! So...it is impossible, if you are following the ISWF guidelines, to gain weight.

Here are the ISWF guidelines I kept and still keep in my head when meal planning: Eat as much as needed to keep you satiated for at least four hours at a time...if you find you have cravings or are hungry within two hours, you are not eating enough good fat and protein, if you are not hungry in four hours or more then you are eating too much - in both cases, adjust your meals accordingly. AND, make breakfast your biggest meal - as it is the most important one.

I also follow the meal measurement guidelines...and I have pretty big hands...so, let me tell ya, I can carry around a good number of eggs. Even so, I found that I was just not hungry for lunch if I ate the amount of protein in my personal two palm-sized servings, so I adjusted it.

It takes time to find your comfort level...and only you can know what that is for YOUR body. This is the reply that I would give to my friends and family who 1) had not read ISWF and who 2) still buy into mainstream diet propoganda....I would just reply, "I know what my body needs and in what amounts and I know that everything here, on this plate, can be processed appropriately by my body." Then, I just let them sit back and watch me get healthy...and I did...silent testimony!!

My weight dropped...wheat belly gone...finger and toe nails so healthy...hair so shiny and with so much body...skin like a twelve year old...now, they are all like, "So...what is this diet you are doing?" and I just say, "Oh diet? I am not on a diet...I am on REAL FOOD!"

Eat...girl...eat...be FREE!!! Real food ROCKS!!

Right...in my opinion, you just have to make the best guess effort...if you cut it up into bite-sized pieces, you may be better able to "view" it in that palm-sized portion. Right? Like they say all over the Forum and in the book...just do the best you can do...and let your body be your guide.

If you are hungry...eat. If you aren't hungry at mealtime, adjust your servings...so that you can eat three meals a day...you don't want to be ravenous by dinner and then lie awake all night because you were so hungry you ate your left arm...lol...no, but seriously...

Does that make sense? Don't make it harder than it should be...just look at the piece of protein and ask yourself if it looks reasonably like they size of your beautiful, now healthy palm? :)

Plus...if I cook too much for dinner, then I have lunch for the next day already made, which makes me super happy because then I just pack it up and throw it in my lunch bag and I don't have to worry about a thing! How nice is that?

"palm-sized" for meat doesn't mean what fits in your hand. It should be an amount of meat that approximates the length, width and thickness of your palm. Eggs and nuts are what fit in your hand. I've seen other diet use the reference of a deck of cards for the amount of meat.

Right...in my opinion, you just have to make the best guess effort...if you cut it up into bite-sized pieces, you may be better able to "view" it in that palm-sized portion. Right? Like they say all over the Forum and in the book...just do the best you can do...and let your body be your guide.

If you are hungry...eat. If you aren't hungry at mealtime, adjust your servings...so that you can eat three meals a day...you don't want to be ravenous by dinner and then lie awake all night because you were so hungry you ate your left arm...lol...no, but seriously...

Does that make sense? Don't make it harder than it should be...just look at the piece of protein and ask yourself if it looks reasonably like they size of your beautiful, now healthy palm? :)

Plus...if I cook too much for dinner, then I have lunch for the next day already made, which makes me super happy because then I just pack it up and throw it in my lunch bag and I don't have to worry about a thing! How nice is that?

Thank you! That was extremely helpful! As I was heating up my lunch, I actually cut up some meat as thin as my palm and placed meats into my palm to measure width/height.. LOL. I know.. I'm neurotic!! What I discovered that one palm sized portion of meat is not a lot of meat at all. I would have eating maybe 3.5 palms worth of meat if I hadn't done that.

Because I'm neurotic, I also decided to take it a step further and measure on the scale out of curiosity what the weight of the portion of meat was. It was 2.75 ounces. This is the last time I plan to weigh anything again.

Heck, Whole30 shouldn't discriminate against people with small hands. ;) They get hungry too. Unless the rest of you is very small as well, I'd go more toward 1.5-2 palms and not worry about it. You'll know if it winds up being too much.

Honestly, those comments used to bug the heck out of me too; however, these days I thoroughly enjoy them. To the skeptics, I say HA! enjoy your processed frankenfood in meagre "low fat and super healthy because it says so on the label" (I'm talking to you, special k fruit crisps) while I eat hearty portions of veggies and meats and healthy fats. I like the fact that I don't have to be afraid of overeating! :)

Honestly, those comments used to bug the heck out of me too; however, these days I thoroughly enjoy them. To the skeptics, I say HA! enjoy your processed frankenfood in meagre "low fat and super healthy because it says so on the label" (I'm talking to you, special k fruit crisps) while I eat hearty portions of veggies and meats and healthy fats. I like the fact that I don't have to be afraid of overeating! :)

Ha!! I love that! "Enjoy your processed frankenfood in meagre.... (I'm talking to you, special k fruit crisps)"

Family can be the worst for criticism. We went out to dinner with my husbands family said and someone said something to the effect of "you really don't need to order the big steak". Was she well-meaning? Absolutely. But, every else pigged out on rolls, onion rings, and fries while I stuck to the food template. There is nothing worse than being on a Whole30 and eating what other people think should be enough and going hungry. Once I didn't speak up and ended up with a 3 oz filet - very disappointed! Never again will I not speak up.

Archived