Explaining Paleo at Work

Alicia Jaybird

Great thread! I work for a food distribution company so everyone in our office is all about the food. People go out to eat for lunch nearly every day. If not they are sitting in a training or meeting eating catered lunch. I do a lot of the catering here and I used to partake in all of it. I gained way to much weight and finally had to say no. I also manage our 'Snack closet.' I used to eat cookies and a Twix bar for breakfast every morning. There comes a point where you just have to take the power away from the food and give it back to yourself. It's a struggle for sure but now that I'm on the Whole30 plan I'm finding my sugar cravings and desires are MUCH less which helps. People at work will usually never understand unless they are truly interested.

At work yesterday, someone commented on my husband's lunch, was he on a special diet, no sandwich,chips,cookies involved,etc. He briefly mentioned how he was eating and that he wanted to pinpoint any foods that were causing him difficulty, so he was staying away from certain things for a while. Pretty low key explanation,which was great. Two people came back at him with a "You better not stop drinking, though, because you'll be known as a teetotaler" Honestly ??? Is this really what people think ? We are not in the college dorm here, people !! :lol: I think he'd like to be known as the guy who is taking excellent care of himself. I am so happy he can laugh at this stuff now-might have been different several years ago. Growing up is good and the whole30 is awesome ! He told me this morning, when I congratulated him on getting to day 19-he's not even counting anymore. Just going with the flow and enjoying all the great food and greater benefits. After years of starts and stops with various diets, this is truly a gift.

And the best we can do is just quietly lead by example (my kids are prime examples of this-they are eating so much better-just because DH and I are !!)

It's tough to explain paleo at work. I tell them that I eat mainly meat and vegetables with some fruit and nuts. For the why, I tell them that I'm doing it to tackle allergies and hypertension, focusing on foods that aren't inflammatory and that are nutrient dense. That sometimes leads to talking about what diseases are caused by inflammation which sometimes leads to people thinking about how it might benefit them.

• 10 months later...

Although, my boss still tries to tell me, "You have to let lose every once in a while..." I just laugh, but what I really want to say is, "Uh, NO I DON'T DUMMY!"

Summer - I have a bit of a twisted sense of humour, so in that situation I'd say something like " Oh I do, my partner and I had sex next to the main road in the park last night, so I think I'll pass on the cupcake". But I like making people feel very confused... ;)

Archived