Lyn1

Hello there! I have just read "It Starts with Food" on my Nook and am planning to start the Whole30 tomorrow. (I know. I'm supposed to start imediately, but I need to go grocery shopping!)

I'm trying to read labels to see what's allowed and I have a question about coconut milk. What kind is allowed? I have the Thai Kitchen canned kind and there's guar gum in it. Is guar gum okay? Is there a brand that just has coconut in it?

I lost almost 30 pounds a few years ago on something similar to the Paleo diet. My motivation was to lose weight so that my fertility treatments would be more productive. (I had been doing fertility for 3 years with no results.) I am thrilled to say that I now have a 1-year-old daughter! I'm pretty sure it was getting rid of all those bad carbs that did it. Now, I've lapsed into my old carb-eating ways, have gained back some weight, and need to reset. I love the meal ideas in "It Starts with Food"! It just makes it seem so possible.

My biggest challenge is going to be getting rid of sweets. I love them! I'm trying to wrap my head around not even using stevia and not making cupcakes with almond flour. My inner child says, "Wah! I don't wanna give up my treats! Wah!"

My main reason for doing this is to get rid of my migraines once and for all! Has anyone else had success in this area?

• Moderators

Guar gum in coconut milk is okay. You would be hard pressed to find canned coconut milk without guar gum anyway. And only canned coconut milk is okay. The stuff that comes in cartons includes preservatives that are NOT okay.

Your inner child may pout for a few weeks, but by the end of 30 days, I bet your inner child will be very happy!

Hi Lyn! Welcome!! I have had awesome success with reducing my migraines on the Whole30. I did my first Whole30 last August as a last ditch effort before getting Botox. I'd tried almost every preventative medication, but either the side effects were too much or it just didn't work. I tried physical therapy and acupuncture as well. It never seemed like food (except red wine and hoppy beer) was a trigger. I was having migraines every day and taking 1 or 2 relpax (a triptan) every day (not good!). By the second day I noticed that my migraines felt different. By the end of the 30 days, I was no longer carrying a relpax in my pocket. I reduced my migraines to only about 2 per month around That Time, but they are now much less painful and sometimes go away with ibuprofen or half a relpax. It's like a miracle for me!! I was desperate and started the Whole30 on a sort of a whim and ended up getting my life back! I hope it works for you, too!! (Tell your inner child that her head will feel better if she gives up the sweet stuff! :))

Looking forward to hearing about your experience! Keep us posted!

Oh good! I'm glad your migraines are better. If I could change one thing in my life which would make it 100% better, it would be to not ever have a migraine again! (I've also tried acupuncture along with chiropractors, hypnotherapy, and herbal remedies.) I also found that giving up wine (red in particular) and coffee helped reduce them. (Which is sad b/c coffee is one of my most favorite things in the world.) I still get migraines though and I hope the Whole 30 will just take care of them once and for all!

Yes, Michele, we can do this! I've changed my start date to July 1st though. Just can't seem to get organized. Plus, it'll be easier to keep track of the days then. Am purging my pantry today and will go shopping tomorrow. Good luck!

Welcome, Lyn! I'm starting officially tomorrow, too! I've been on and off the last week or so, and I can tell you that when I was "on" for five days I felt TERRIFIC! I'm still working on not falling off the wagon, so maybe we can all support each other. You can do it!

If you can find Aroy-D brand (check your local Asian grocery) it does not have guar gum. Also some Thai Kitchen does not have guar gum, but it seems almost random. Trader Joe's "light" coconut milk is thinned somewhat with water, but it's also cheap and doesn't have other additives in it.

Archived