heart burn

• 1 year later...

Help! i'm on day 30 and this whole last week has had increasing heartburn. 

Today for lunch I made a pesto salad of roasted zucchini, roasted tomato, pesto (cashews, basil, olive oil, garlic salt), and chicken. Within 15 minutes, I started getting heartburn and it has continued for over an hour now.

Last night, I had an iceberg lettuce salad with egg, avocado, olives, and tomatoes, then a banana. Maybe an hour or two later, I had another banana and shortly there after started getting heartburn again - not nearly as distressful as today's - i actually want to take a zantac. It's as bad as it's ever gotten before trying the plan.

During the week I ate things like hard boiled eggs (have throughout whole term), avocado (off an on), salami (couple times in beginning too), grilled chicken (chicken which i got from the cafeteria and had something on it that made me flush unfortunately). My breakfasts which are a blend of raw fruits and veggies (cashews, spinach, bell pepper, cucumber, carrots, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, banana) do not seem to trigger anything. My short term memory is the worst and i'm blanking on what actual new vs. same foods i've eaten when and what correlates to the burn. Maybe it's the tomato - i've eaten small quantities (under one tomato at a time) only in the last week. But i've used tomato paste in several recipes over the term. Oh, and nothing has been particularly spicy or loaded with cinnamon. I have a high tollerance for spicy foods, but cinnamon is a known bother.

Help! i'm on day 30 and this whole last week has had increasing heartburn. 

Today for lunch I made a pesto salad of roasted zucchini, roasted tomato, pesto (cashews, basil, olive oil, garlic salt), and chicken. Within 15 minutes, I started getting heartburn and it has continued for over an hour now.

Last night, I had an iceberg lettuce salad with egg, avocado, olives, and tomatoes, then a banana. Maybe an hour or two later, I had another banana and shortly there after started getting heartburn again - not nearly as distressful as today's - i actually want to take a zantac. It's as bad as it's ever gotten before trying the plan.

During the week I ate things like hard boiled eggs (have throughout whole term), avocado (off an on), salami (couple times in beginning too), grilled chicken (chicken which i got from the cafeteria and had something on it that made me flush unfortunately). My breakfasts which are a blend of raw fruits and veggies (cashews, spinach, bell pepper, cucumber, carrots, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, banana) do not seem to trigger anything. My short term memory is the worst and i'm blanking on what actual new vs. same foods i've eaten when and what correlates to the burn. Maybe it's the tomato - i've eaten small quantities (under one tomato at a time) only in the last week. But i've used tomato paste in several recipes over the term. Oh, and nothing has been particularly spicy or loaded with cinnamon. I have a high tollerance for spicy foods, but cinnamon is a known bother.

On the bolded part, does this mean that you had a problem with heartburn before Whole30? Assuming it does, do you know what were your triggers then?

One thing we recommend for folks dealing with digestive issues (heartburn counts) is to try digestive enzymes. I found some compliant ones at my local health food store, but you'll need to look around for compliant ones - the brand Whole30 used to recommend is no longer compliant.

I'm so sorry you're feeling such discomfort. I've had attacks of heartburn like that and it's so upsetting! It does pass, but it's sure bothersome in the moment. I'd suggest trying some digestive enzymes.

You might also consider logging your food for a couple of days to see if anything emerges. It looks like your meals may be a bit heavier on fruit and nuts than they might be, and it's entirely possible that so much fruit and nuts in the early part of the day sets you up for heartburn later. (That's not a medical opinion, by the way - just a thought.) We do want you to eat 1-2 palms of protein (note that nuts are a fat, not a protein, for Whole30); 1-2 thumbs of fat; and 1-3 cups of veggies (more if they are uncooked greens) at each meal, including breakfast. Fruit is optional and we recommend 1-2 fist-size pieces per day, to be eaten with or immediately after meals.

None of that answers your immediate concern, for which, again, I suggest getting some digestive enzymes. But you might work on identifying heartburn triggers as you go forward. Feel better soon!

Iceberg lettuce can cause heartburn or acid reflux.  The comment below is from a heartburn site.   My naturopath told me not to eat iceberg lettuce but the leafy varieties only.   My father who's had stomach surgery was told not to iceberg lettuce going forward after surgery.  It can be tough on the stomach lining.   You might try leaving it out and see if you feel better.

"Stay away from iceberg lettuce, milkfat,  too many bananas and raw cabbage, as they are so hard to digest. Iceberg lettuce is the worst. I ate salad like crazy,  found out over time that the iceberg was making worse digestive problems for me than any junk food ever could. Just eat greenleaf."

On the bolded part, does this mean that you had a problem with heartburn before Whole30? Assuming it does, do you know what were your triggers then?

Yes, i was getting heartburn on and off for years and it was persistently bad with no clear trigger except too much cinnamon. It's a major reason I tried the whole30. I know about the cinnamon through a daily cup of apple cinnamon tea. So delicious and seemingly healthy - just not for me. Years ago, I was getting attacks and did a full endoscopic workup - they put me on nexium and I attempted to reduce my stress. There was no obvious food trigger though. I've been off the nexium a long time and was eating fairly paleo for a couple of years when about a year ago i let ice cream (the gateway food) re-enter my life too often. When there was no reaction, I let myself eat other things. From November until my start date, I assumed it was probably a combination of foods and their quantity making me feel distended and uneasy - and the recent bad heartburn would come at night after large meals - especially with holidays and vacationing. I hoped whole30 would help me reset and ID my triggers.

I was thinking about how nut heavy my diet has been but I've always eaten a couple handfuls per day. Yesterday and today though, I didn't include a lot - and I do eat a lot of vegetables. Thursday night and Friday for lunch this week with a small portion of chicken with roasted onions, peppers, and zucchini, and a sauteed broccoli rabe (it's what I could get at the BBQ place with work friends that complied).

Iceberg lettuce can cause heartburn or acid reflux.  The comment below is from a heartburn site.   My naturopath told me not to eat iceberg lettuce but the leafy varieties only.   My father who's had stomach surgery was told not to iceberg lettuce going forward after surgery.  It can be tough on the stomach lining.   You might try leaving it out and see if you feel better.

Good.To.Know - I usually never touch the stuff and only did last night because of the paucity of food choices where I was. I will happily abstain in the future.

For now I'll also stay away from the avocados, tomatoes, and salami for a while and do a late re-introduction with them down the line. It's 3.5 hours and one zantac into this ordeal and my comfort levels are only slightly improved. I'm tossing the rest of the pesto salad.

I become a doctor when I read Web MD.  :D  :P (Noooo, I really do not).

I would reduce those 2 handfuls of nuts down to about zip-a-dee-doo-dah.  In the comment above...too many raw bananas, milk fat (ice cream), iceberg lettuce - those were/are items in your food selections; add two handfuls of nuts into the mix and I would think the combo is enough for stomach upset/heartburn.

So where are your proteins?  Do you have preferred choices beyond chicken?  Yes, hold that salami. Do you eat beef, fish, pork, wild game or fowl, turkey, eggs?

I'll eat ground beef; salmon; pork loin; sausage (compliant), eggs (from my own hens).

OH! As I'm writing thing, i remember now there being a hot pepper in the salad - the pickled kind - I usually never eat those, but because there was no dressing there I could eat, i broke it open and drizzled the pickling juice. I don't feel like testing it to find out.

Blerg.

I'll eat ground beef; salmon; pork loin; sausage (compliant), eggs (from my own hens).

OH! As I'm writing thing, i remember now there being a hot pepper in the salad - the pickled kind - I usually never eat those, but because there was no dressing there I could eat, i broke it open and drizzled the pickling juice. I don't feel like testing it to find out.

Blerg.

Ack! Maybe that did it!! Still, get yourself a supply of digestive enzymes (along with your medication).

• 2 weeks later...

update - didn't get the digestive enzymes, but refrained from sausage, tomatoes, avocados, and nuts this past week. i haven't had any incidents again. yesterday I had some chorrizo with asparagus and egg. today i ate nuts and felt fine. i haven't tested the tomatoes or avocadoes yet. that will be at the end of this week.

• 1 month later...

Almonds are good for reflux. Take a few after every meal. Red meat takes longer to digest and requires more stomach acid. Limit your red meat intake and eat more fish and white meat. I'd steer clear of any processed meat like sausages too. Blueberries are acid forming, and many people find tomato is a trigger.

Archived