ground flax seeds

twix1013

I am finishing my first week in the whole 30. I used to have oatmeal with blueberries and ground flaxseed every morning with my breakfast. I have noticed after my first week that my bowel movements are more constipated than they used to be and was wondering if I could go back to using ground flaxseed. what is the whole9 position on ground flaxseed?

• Moderators

Whether you can have flax seeds was answered here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7189-can-i-have-ground-flaxseed/

You do not need ground flax seed to have a good bowel movement. Seeds are a food that should be consumed in limited quantities. In other words, never eating seeds is a good choice. If you are following the meal template - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf - and eating a palm-size portion of protein and filling the rest of your plate with veggies at each meal, you are already consuming everything you need for a "meaningful" bowel movement. Some people require an adjustment period when they shift to Whole30 eating and you have only been at it for a week. Very likely your bowel movements will improve within another week without your having to do anything different. Actually, even if you are not eating a plate full of veggies at breakfast - when many people just don't eat as many - you are probably doing okay and will start moving smoothly soon enough.

Thank you for the input regarding the flax seeds. For most of my breakfasts, I've been grating sweet potatoes and then having an egg plus and extra egg white with it. Then I have some fruit. And a couple days I smashed part of an avocado in some fresh salsa to go with the eggs. I've always eaten a lot of veggies (big salad with all the fixin's and some chicken on top), including avocado and salsa many times, and for dinner I usually grill a variety of veggies. However, I have been eating more protein than I previously consumed, so maybe that is what body is adjusting to accommodate. I'm still yearning for my oatmeal with blueberries and flax, but I'm planning on sticking it out for the whole 30 and see what happens!

I eat a sweet potato hash with three eggs for breakfast. I would suggest you eat the entire eggs instead of separating out the white, the yolk has fantastic nutritional content. a great rule of thumb is to eat as many eggs as you can fit into your hand. I have pretty small hands. check your egg measurment! and eat those yolks!! mmmmmmm! ;)

I had a similar issue. By reading through the forums, I found some tips that seem to be helping - small cup of coffee with cocounut milk in the morning, digestive enzymes, magnesium supplement, leave the skin on my sweet potato. Good luck!

PS - I miss oatmeal, too.

Archived