Accidental chicken jello broth?

CraftyCarnivore

I made Johnny M's Paleo Chicken Ranchero Tostadas. I used skin-on chicken thighs that had been marinated in juices of one lemon, one lime and one orange, garlic and cilantro. (OMG, delicious). I cooked the chicken on Sunday night, let it cool, and kept the chicken and its juices in the pyrex dish. When I went to reheat, I had congealed chicken juice and fat in the pyrex. I scraped off what fat I could, heated it, poured the now-liquid into a cup and drank it – it was like a citrusy-chicken soup! It was a good idea to drink this, right?

Yummers.

I always scoop up that jello from around my carcasses and add it to the pot when I make broth. I think it's the same good gelatinous stuff we get when we make broth.

That recipe sounds delicious. I think I'll try it.

• Moderators

The other day, I made braised red cabbage in fat rendered from cooking ribeye. Question, do you have to refrigerate the "rendering" right after putting it in the container?

I don't honestly know, but I remember my mother and grandmother saving bacon fat in a tin can they kept on the stove top. They used that bacon fat to cook eggs and I guess other foods when they needed fat. That can never went in the refrigerator.

I think the difference in storing bacon fat at room temp (or rendered tallow or lard) is that there is no liquid in it. The liquids in bacon are mostly sucked out during curing. With meat drippings from fresh meat though there is liquid in it and that causes it to spoil faster (whether it has ecoli or not) so I always keep my drippings and fat skimmed off broths in the fridge and bacon fat/lard/tallow at room temp.

Archived