Century Ride

rbh012

New to Whole 30 and to the forum. I'm 7 days from the completion of my first Whole 30 experience and I'm pretty please with the results.

I'm participating in my first century bike ride (100 miles) in mid May and I'm not sure what I should be eating before the race and during the race. I anticipate it taking me around 6 hours to complete and I can't imagine not needing something to eat in that window of time given the nature of the event.

I used to do long distance riding years ago (through Team In Training). I remember those pasta dinners the night before. If Paleo/W30 has taught me anything, it's that the carbs from that pasta that are supposedly stored overnight to give you energy exit your body. I always felt like crap the morning of the rides, and it was probably the pasta!

If I were to do it again, I'd eat a regular W30 template meal the night before, and *maybe* increase my starch a bit. Morning of, I'd have sweet potato and a good amount of easily digested protein like (compliant) lunchmeat. Throughout, I'd have nuts and raisins/dried fruit, as they are easy to grab while you're riding. Also, I used to make a "cocktail" of water with oranges and salt -- kind of like a natural gatorade -- for my water bottles.

Good luck! (And if you're doing a Team in Training ride, "GO TEAM!")

Last weekend I did 60(not 100 I know) but I brought a sweet potato, nuts, GU type packets of apple sauce(legal). I planned on eating something every 10-15 miles and did great till mile 45. This was only 2 weeks into the plan and it could have been to early to ride that long. I also brought a Larabar(shameful I know) if it got bad. I have heard of beef jerky but I can't find one that I can afford that is not loaded with sugar. I ride long distance and have done several centuries-not on plan. I tried to average150-200 calories an hour then, certainly did not average that last weekend which is probably why it got rough. Eat plenty of good fat before, maybe bring a banana as well. Better to bring home food than get stuck-that's a long day! Have a great ride!

I haven't ridden in almost 9 years :(. I used to do Century rides, one in Tucson and one in Tahoe, and some local ones in the Chicago area. We used to have the pasta dinners the night before. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

No, not catered, unless Catered by Clif Bars and Gatorade count. :) I was saying that if I was to do a Century again, that's what I'd eat. And I'd probably get up Spooner Mountain in Tahoe if I was to do it again. I think you did great food-wise!

I believe that it is catered and there are food/aid stations every 15-20 miles I think. Not worried about the availability of food, just want to try it without consuming 15 GU packets. :)

I haven't noticed a difference in my performance from the lack of carbs, but haven't ridden more than 2.5 hours recently. I'm actually training for 2 Tri's in June and I'm sticking to that training plan, so while my cycling might suffer in duration, i feel I make up for that in intensity and cross training.

I used to do long distance riding years ago (through Team In Training). I remember those pasta dinners the night before. If Paleo/W30 has taught me anything, it's that the carbs from that pasta that are supposedly stored overnight to give you energy exit your body. I always felt like crap the morning of the rides, and it was probably the pasta!

If I were to do it again, I'd eat a regular W30 template meal the night before, and *maybe* increase my starch a bit. Morning of, I'd have sweet potato and a good amount of easily digested protein like (compliant) lunchmeat. Throughout, I'd have nuts and raisins/dried fruit, as they are easy to grab while you're riding. Also, I used to make a "cocktail" of water with oranges and salt -- kind of like a natural gatorade -- for my water bottles.

Good luck! (And if you're doing a Team in Training ride, "GO TEAM!")

I also started cycling because of Team in Training and completed the Lake Tahoe Century! That was in 2005. I don't do too many centuries anymore but I racing is my thing. As for eating on the bike, since I finished my Whole30, I found there are some very good squeezable baby foods out there. I get the organic flavors such as banana and sweet potato. I have also used dates and in my bottles coconut water is good.

Archived