MAYO!!!!!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my goodness, I thought that this mayo making stuff was a joke because I tried it 3 times and each time= fail. But then I borrowed my mom's immersion blender, and I've made it three times and it is SOOOO easy! This should be the way people teach to make mayo. No setting out the egg/lemon juice, or slowly adding in the oil. Just throw it in the cup, blend, and you're done!! SO happy!

Oh my goodness, I thought that this mayo making stuff was a joke because I tried it 3 times and each time= fail. But then I borrowed my mom's immersion blender, and I've made it three times and it is SOOOO easy! This should be the way people teach to make mayo. No setting out the egg/lemon juice, or slowly adding in the oil. Just throw it in the cup, blend, and you're done!! SO happy!

I used an immersion blender, and it still didn't work. How did yo do it?

i just put 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, 1 1/2 T lemon juice (from the bottle), 1/2 t salt, 1/2 t mustard in a container that the blender just fit into perfectly. Then I poured in 1 cup oil. Then I put the blender to the bottom and began blending, slowly at first, then full speed. you'll see it start to form almost instantly. Keep blending until all the oil is incorporated.

i just put 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, 1 1/2 T lemon juice (from the bottle), 1/2 t salt, 1/2 t mustard in a container that the blender just fit into perfectly. Then I poured in 1 cup oil. Then I put the blender to the bottom and began blending, slowly at first, then full speed. you'll see it start to form almost instantly. Keep blending until all the oil is incorporated.

That is the key: the blender has to fit into the bottom of the container tightly enough such that not too much oil gets pulled into the blend too quickly.

I did the same thing. Maybe not in the exact portions of the ingridents (did you use 1 whole egg plus 1 yolk? any vinegar?)

Maybe I'm not using the blender right. Did you pulse the blender? Hold the blender at an angle or keep it straight up? Hold it at the bottom or lift it up through the container while running it?

If the blender technique is key, I need to know exactly how its done. Sorry for all the questions.

Adding a yolk will help it immulsify so try that. You hold the stick straight up and down and pulse in one second increments. Then when you see the mayo forming at the bittom, you tip the stick a bit to allow more olive oil to be sucked in. I pulse the whole time but increase the pulse to 2 seconds as the mayo forms more. If there is a little oil at the end just stir it in. I do one egg, one egg yolk, compliant stone ground mustard (helps immulsify and has great flavor), one TBS fresh lemon juice or vinegar of choice, 1 tsp cayenne and 1/2 tsp salt and 1 1/4 cup extra light olive oil.

I use the Well Fed recipe, but substitute apple cider vinegar for the lemon juice and double the salt. My super-picky kids think it's better than Hellman's.

Lately, I've been whipping up fast salad dressings by mixing mayo with salsa or mayo with capers and 1-2Tb of the caper liquid from the jar. Briny goodness!

Mayo with a little garlic powder and thinned with a bit of water makes a great dressing for Caesar salad.

Mayo with a little garlic powder and thinned with a bit of water makes a great dressing for Caesar salad.

Throw in some anchovy paste and, minus the Parmesan, it is Caesar dressing. :)

Lots of blogs and food writers insist on using light olive oil and NOT regular EVOO but I've only found one source for the light stuff and it came in for tiny little bottles for an extra large price. My mayo works fine with good old-fashioned EVOO but the one time I did make it with the light oil it did turn out...well lighter. I guess that's good. Any suggestions about where to score the light oil in an adult-sized bottle?

Lots of blogs and food writers insist on using light olive oil and NOT regular EVOO but I've only found one source for the light stuff and it came in for tiny little bottles for an extra large price. My mayo works fine with good old-fashioned EVOO but the one time I did make it with the light oil it did turn out...well lighter. I guess that's good. Any suggestions about where to score the light oil in an adult-sized bottle?

Lol on the adult sized bottle. I have found huge jugs of it (2 liter) at Costco, Albertsons and Walmart. You have to buy 2 jugs at costco but they have the best price. The light olive oil doesn't have anything to do with the outcome of the mayo, just the flavor. :)

@slw600 -- As usual...you have the answer. Thanks!

@Kim Christenson--As for the blender vs. Cuisinart debate...I've yet to try a stick blender in a jar (but I will ASAP as a time-saving fallback) but I've had 100% bulletproof success with just a whisk and a bowl, a little Stevie Ray Vaughan channel on Pandora and about 10 minutes, as long as I make an emulsion first!

AND I probably burn a bunch more calories doing the manual method, so there's that. I also thicken egg whites with a copper bowl and a balloon whisk just because it seems more Julia Child-ish and cheffy. Of course if I had kids lining up to get egg salad and no mayo, I'd definitely reach for the power tools.

Don't you just love that the fact that there's a place where 20 or 30 people can all have opinions about mayo?

Lol on the adult sized bottle. I have found huge jugs of it (2 liter) at Costco, Albertsons and Walmart. You have to buy 2 jugs at costco but they have the best price. The light olive oil doesn't have anything to do with the outcome of the mayo, just the flavor. :)

What would you say the difference in flavor is? Is it describable?

What would you say the difference in flavor is? Is it describable?

Way different. Mayo made with the extra light tasting has no detectable olive oil flavor. Sort of like the difference between unrefined and refined coconut oil. I only use the extra light oo in mayo.

I purchased an immersion blender today to celebrate Day 30 of my Whole30. I promptly made the mayo. I added TJ's Smoky South African seasoning to a small batch and used it as dip for carrots with my dinner. I believe the tears of indescribable joy lastest for about 1/2 hour.

I purchased an immersion blender today to celebrate Day 30 of my Whole30. I promptly made the mayo. I added TJ's Smoky South African seasoning to a small batch and used it as dip for carrots with my dinner. I believe the tears of indescribable joy lastest for about 1/2 hour.

Isn't it the best thing ever?

tarheelntx--Congrats on your Day 30!! Who knew homemade mayo could elicit such unbridled joy? Can't way to try a batch myself. I have an immersion blender (maybe the first one ever made) I inherited from mom who probably bought it during the Hoover administration so if this ends up being my last post, you'll know why.

Don't worry, my immersion belender is sooo old I can't even tell you what make it is, or how long I've had it, I just remember it being touted as a totally new concept over here when I bought it :) The business end is stained a bright yellow, presumably from blending some kind of curry :huh: but, hey, it works great and gives me perfect mayo. I make it straight in a mason jar so I can just pop the lid on and stick it in the fridge.

i made mayo for the first time last night. I let my lemon juice and egg marinate for 1.5hours, and added .5tsp of dry mustard and .5tsp of salt. I didnt care for the flavor - too much dry mustard I think. the texture came out great though!

any other spices to play with?

I love mixing lemon juice and raw apple cider vinegar in my mayo--a T each and I toss in an extra yolk. Makes it thick and tastes the most like THAT mayo! Gotta have me some mayo at least once a day! OH and I put a dash of paprika and garlic in mine along with salt and mustard powder.

I made mayo! It took 4 tries. I tried the bit processor, the blender, the small proccessor and finally the stick blender. Stick blender worked perfectly! The rest ended up down the drain. I'm very excited that it worked! I used Susan's recipe with the whole egg. I will try just the yolk next time (my son is allergic to whites). So happy this thread was here to give tricks and tips!

Archived