MAYO!!!!!!

I made mayo! It took 4 tries. I tried the bit processor, the blender, the small proccessor and finally the stick blender. Stick blender worked perfectly! The rest ended up down the drain. I'm very excited that it worked! I used Susan's recipe with the whole egg. I will try just the yolk next time (my son is allergic to whites). So happy this thread was here to give tricks and tips!

Congrats Pjena. Using just the yolk will work beautifully. :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is where do you find organic olive oil that isn't extra virgin? I've not been able to find it even at my food co-op. I have not tried Whole Foods yet because it isn't convenient for me to go there (and I find it a little scary).

Sam's club has Bertoli extra light tasting olive oil that is so much less olive-y than plain EVOO. $11.07 for a huge container. If I ONLY bought that from Sam's, my annual membership would pay for itself.

*I love Costco, too. Just never seen the ELTOO there.

I'm joining the mayo club too! Got it first try but it's quite thin. I did the whole lot on the slowest setting on my food prcessor - should I have used the faster speed?

Percy I think to create the right immulsification (did I make that word up?), you may have to go at a faster speed. Also, froth your ingredients before you SLOWLY drizzle the oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report...after multiple attempts at pleasing my wife with my homemade paleo mayo, I have succeeded at last! Texture, flavor, all perfect.

One of the things I love about my wife is that while she may be extremely picky about some things (like her condiments) she is equally as enthusiastic when she likes something! The result is I attain temporary hero status when I manage to get it right, which I happily accept. We're working on moderating the grimace face and "thpeh! thpeh!" noise she makes when I get it wrong.

James' Spouse-Pleasing Homerun Mayo

• I egg + I yolk
  • 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup of Light Tasting Olive Oil (thank you Costco)
  • 2 tbsp. Trader Joe's South African smoke spice
  • 1 tsp. Apple Cider vinegar

1. Put first 3 ingredients in a jar wide enough for a stick blender

2. Add app. 1 tbsp. of the oil and pulse the blender to emulsify

3. Add the rest of the oil slowly, just because it's less messy. Once it thickens, stop here if you just want plain old mayo.

4. Add T.J.'s secret smoky spice and cider vinegar and mix manually. Mayo will be too thick for the blender at this point.

5. Sit back and bask in the awesomeness that is you.

This recipe is great for dipping veggies, tuna/chicken salad and as a base for a paleo ranch dressing. The formula is a mashup of recipes and hints from several posts on this thread, so I thank you, my marriage thanks you.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought an immersion blender this weekend. That thing is MAGIC! No lines, no waiting when you make mayo with this thing. So easy. So thick. So creamy.

Lol..so very true.

You need a slot on the shopping network!

I finally made mayo this weekend too with my immersion blender (a really cheap one too) using the video someone posted in another thread. So easy and so delicious! I missed mayo so much!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yay Beth!!! Heatwave coming our way. Did you hear?

I finally made mayo this weekend too with my immersion blender (a really cheap one too) using the video someone posted in another thread. So easy and so delicious! I missed mayo so much!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yay Beth!!! Heatwave coming our way. Did you hear?

Yes! It was warm here this weekend and today and very sunny! I got a little red on my long run on Saturday and shocked myself in being a touch warm on my run this morning before 10am! Time to start being an early runner again I fear!

I turned my AC on just now and complained about the temp at a rock climbing gym this morning. Shameful. :)

It is so funny how we PacNorthwesterners don't handle extremes. I will say the mild summer is what brought me here. So lovely not to depend on an air conditioner to sleep every night of the summer. The only AC in our house sounds like a jet plane so we just suck it up when it gets too warm.

I made my first batch of mayo (exactly as the book say to do) and it came out perfectly! I mixed it with some garlic and spices and basalmic vinegar and it made the best creamy basalmic dressing ever!!! my family loved it. i am going to use it tomorrow in all kinds of ways!

Was feeling bold today and made ginger lime mayo.  (Melissa Joulwan's recipe as base, swapped lemon juice for lime juice, reduced mustard and salt to 1/4 tsp each and added 3 tsp ginger powder).  

Can't really tell a difference with the lime juice but you certainly can taste the ginger.  Now what shall I put this on?

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in as another homemade mayo convert.  I used this recipe http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/ and my stick blender.  30 seconds later and tada...Mayo!  It was a revelation.  I've made it 3 times so far, with some success.

Attempt #1: perfect texture, but needed a little more acid kick

Attempt #2: nice flavour but texture was off (used XL egg, 1T lemon juice, 1T apple cider vinegar, 3/4 c light olive oil + 1/4 c EVOO)

Attempt #3: exactly the same ingredients as the first time and perfect texture again.

I think the larger egg with no increase in acid scuttled attempt 2.  So next try will be half lemon juice and half apple cider vinegar for that flavour kick. 

I just wanted to add to the chorus... "MAYO!!" (sung in an operatic mezzo soprano voice) :o

OMG I'm so excited!  I made it for the first time, using the "traditional" ingredients (fresh squeezed lemon juice) from the clothesmakethegirl website, and it came out PERFECT!  Just as I was about done adding all the oil, ZING, my blender noise changed.  And there it was, thick, silky, mayonnaise-- better than Hellman's!

I used my variable speed Vitamix blender on 2, then 3, then 2 for the last bit of oil to be incorporated.  It did not get hot and "cook" it, and made the emulsion perfect.  I can't wait to use it for cole slaw, tuna salad, and tartar sauce.  And who knows what else???

Was feeling bold today and made ginger lime mayo.  (Melissa Joulwan's recipe as base, swapped lemon juice for lime juice, reduced mustard and salt to 1/4 tsp each and added 3 tsp ginger powder).  

Can't really tell a difference with the lime juice but you certainly can taste the ginger.  Now what shall I put this on?

Asian inspired chicken salad with shredded cabbage, carrots, snap peas, bell peppers... with a sprinkling of sliced almonds? 

I made my first batch last night and it turned out amazing! I used the recipe from Well Fed and followed it to a "T" except I had already let the egg and lemon juice sit out for a while, then I put both in the blender, covered it, and let it sit another 30 minutes. 

I, too, had the issue with the ingredients flying out through the blender lid. It was annoying, but didn't seem to affect the end result. Next time I'll use a funnel.  

Archived