Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beets

Canned salmon

8 posts in this topic

So this morning I made these lovely salmon cakes (no flours--yay) with ginger mayo. At the end, they were really good. But in the time I spent picking tiny bones out of my salmon I could have poached a side of fish. I bought some groovy-sounding wild-caught sustainable brand of salmon. Do they all have bones? Any brand recs? Or do you just eat the bones?

Thanks!

I just look for the spine and specifically spend a moment mashing that up really well, the rib bones I've honestly never even noticed in there I think they break down while sitting in the can so that they just fall apart.

Yep, made that mistake once. I now make sure the can says BONELESS and SKINLESS. Trader Joe's has a nice one with no added salt. I stock up there. Love salmon cakes!

I bought my first canned salmon a few months ago and was disgusted to see bones and skin in there! Eck! Now I buy the smaller cans that specifically say boneless/skinless.

Yep, I spend so long making bone broth and trying to squeeze every last bit of goodness out of them that I consider the bones in salmon a freebie :)

Joey and SonyaT like this