any trader joe's bacon?

countrygirl

I was looking at the uncured bacon at Trader Joe's yesterday, and some of them had added sugar, but a few did not. I'm a little confused about whether or not bacon is allowed on whole30 or not. I read something on NomNom Paleo about how much she misses bacon on her whole30, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be allowed as long as it does not contain any bad ingredients. I was not, however, able to find any organic bacon. So would the Trader Joe's uncured, non-organic, but "natural" bacon with no sugar, carrageegan, etc. Be whole 30 approved?

Bacon is definitely allowed, as long as it doesn't have those ingredients. Most of us have a terrible time finding any bacon without sugar, and personally I'm not willing to pay the prices at US Wellness. I hadn't checked Trader Joe's!

I read, in ISWF I believe, that bacon is pretty much the worst cut of feedlot meat. Because it's so fat-dense, bacon will be full of whatever toxins the animal had been exposed to, and whatever biological remnants of stress, disease, etc., were created during its lifetime. I'd personally skip factory-farmed bacon even if it was sugar-free and preservative-free.

I love bacon as much as the next red-blooded human--and have been known to eat half a pound standing over a cookie sheet--but to me it wouldn't be worth it. I never pulled it together for a US Wellness order and, on Day 29, haven't really missed it. Do I want to eat some? Yeah. But not *that* badly. There are way more nutritious meats you can enjoy, grass-fed or pastured or not.

There is a Bacon Manifesto that the Hartwigs wrote. It's really good. I now only use it as a condiment or flavoring. I still make my own from grass fed happy hogs but after curing, I cut it into 4-6 oz chunks and freeze them separately. :)

• 6 months later...

Archived