Gastroparesis

When reading about gastroparesis everything says to do small meals because of the decreased mobility issues of the stomach. I am worried about eating three high-fiber, fat meals because digestion is already slowed with those foods. Has anybody done the three meals with gasteroparesis? Today is my first day and I'm just worried about having nausea and vomiting because of too much food at once in my stomach.

cvie79 -

The three meals recommendation is ideal, but if you have a medical issue that makes that less than optimal for you, you can absolutely go with smaller meals more frequently. Just make sure you're not "grazing" (eating one thing after another, constantly). Make sure your meals are protein, veggies and fat each time you eat.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you for that advice Robin. So many others are writing "eat only 3 meals."  I have IBS and if I eat til full, I will be sick. I'm on day 6 and finding 4-5 small proportioned meals work. Otherwise my stomach is growling constantly. When you feel hungry enough you could cry......you're hungry.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Chrissyj said:

Thank you for that advice Robin. So many others are writing "eat only 3 meals."  I have IBS and if I eat til full, I will be sick. I'm on day 6 and finding 4-5 small proportioned meals work. Otherwise my stomach is growling constantly. When you feel hungry enough you could cry......you're hungry.

Like Robin said, 3 meals is for the typical person without a medical issue that prevents following the reccomendations. Note that she's also mentioned that you want to make sure you're intentionally eating those 4-5 times, not 'grazing'.  So make, sit and eat 4-5 proper meals just like we would tell someone to eat 3... protein, fat and veg in smaller quantities... totally fine!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this post started years ago, but I'm new to W30 and wanting to find out how it went for you all. I have had gastroparesis for many years and it has only gotten worse!  I have seen gastroenterologists and nutritionists and they have all suggested very drastic changes in my diet. I am to consume a low fat and low fiber diet.  Supplementing my fiber intake and staying regular with Miralax.  I haven't been using the Miralax as I don't see where it could be compliant. I am also supposed to only "eat" one meal a day while consuming liquids as my other meals. I was vomiting 6-10 times a week after eating. I was also waking up in the mornings and vomiting food from dinner the night before at 6pm. So...like I said...a pretty severe case of gastroparesis. 

I am on day 17 as of tomorrow and I am not regular at all!  No pain and not much bloating but I know how bad it can get. I have no other issues (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes, etc). I am eating LOTS of vegetables for fiber, but still nothing for three days!  What should I do?  I WILL finish my 30 days completely compliant!  Any suggestions or personal experiences you could all share that might help?

• Administrators
9 hours ago, MarieC1978 said:

I know this post started years ago, but I'm new to W30 and wanting to find out how it went for you all. I have had gastroparesis for many years and it has only gotten worse!  I have seen gastroenterologists and nutritionists and they have all suggested very drastic changes in my diet. I am to consume a low fat and low fiber diet.  Supplementing my fiber intake and staying regular with Miralax.  I haven't been using the Miralax as I don't see where it could be compliant. I am also supposed to only "eat" one meal a day while consuming liquids as my other meals. I was vomiting 6-10 times a week after eating. I was also waking up in the mornings and vomiting food from dinner the night before at 6pm. So...like I said...a pretty severe case of gastroparesis. 

I am on day 17 as of tomorrow and I am not regular at all!  No pain and not much bloating but I know how bad it can get. I have no other issues (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes, etc). I am eating LOTS of vegetables for fiber, but still nothing for three days!  What should I do?  I WILL finish my 30 days completely compliant!  Any suggestions or personal experiences you could all share that might help?

I need to make sure I'm clear on this. Your doctor has told you that you must take Miralax to stay regular and help to control your illness but you've decided not to follow that advice, are now constipated as a result of your illness and are concerned about how bad it could get and you want us to make a suggestion on what you should do?  

First, no one here is permitted to make any sort of suggestion to you to manage your severe illness besides telling you to speak with your doctor and that doctor's orders overrule Whole30. Second, this is not as simple as us telling you to eat more sweet potato or lay off fruits or nuts or what have you because you have an ongoing illness that causes this side effect which could turn serious for you.

I'm sorry that you are not feeling well. I recommend you see your physician. 

3 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

I need to make sure I'm clear on this. Your doctor has told you that you must take Miralax to stay regular and help to control your illness but you've decided not to follow that advice, are now constipated as a result of your illness and are concerned about how bad it could get and you want us to make a suggestion on what you should do?  

First, no one here is permitted to make any sort of suggestion to you to manage your severe illness besides telling you to speak with your doctor and that doctor's orders overrule Whole30. Second, this is not as simple as us telling you to eat more sweet potato or lay off fruits or nuts or what have you because you have an ongoing illness that causes this side effect which could turn serious for you.

I'm sorry that you are not feeling well. I recommend you see your physician. 

Okay, so maybe I wasn't clear...the doctor didn't tell me to take Miralax daily, but rather I could take it daily when constipated until I found relief. I'm not stupid in the fact I have dealt with gastroparesis for 20 years and I know how bound my body can get. Miralax, I believe, would be off plan, so I have been hesitant to use it if there is something compliant I could do instead. I know doctors orders trump W30 ALWAYS, but I was looking to see if there were more natural ways to find relief other than Miralax.  

I used to take Reglan many years ago when I was first diagnosed but it left me feeling sick. My doctorS and nutritionistS have told me I could control my gastroparesis through dieting. I have had conflicting recommendations throughout the years, but my most recent nutritionist actually recommended Whole30 as a way to find what foods I am most sensitive to. So far (Day 17) I haven't thrown up once (as opposed to 6-10 times a week), so I am very determined to do this right. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Just looking for some advice from people with similar issues while doing W30. 

I know nothing about your specific medical condition, but magnesium supplements can help move the digestive track along.  (Bonus: can help sleep!)  I use Natural Calm, but make sure you're getting the unflavored version.  I've heard (but never tried) Epsom salts dissolved in water can also be effective.

8 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

I know nothing about your specific medical condition, but magnesium supplements can help move the digestive track along.  (Bonus: can help sleep!)  I use Natural Calm, but make sure you're getting the unflavored version.  I've heard (but never tried) Epsom salts dissolved in water can also be effective.

Thanks!  Crisis averted as I went poo today! :D:lol::rolleyes:  I will definitely get some of the Natural Calm (unflavored) magnesium.  Question, is there a specific brand or is Natural Calm the brand name?  For instance, I googled and I see a Natural Vitality Natural Calm.  Same thing?

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

A warm epsom salt bath before bed (bonus points if you take some epsom salt and gently rub it on your skin) is like being prepped for surgery. Instant sleep. IN-STANT.

Sorry, @MarieC1978 - I misunderstood your post then. I wasn't implying you were stupid at all, sorry if it came across that way. 

Just now, ladyshanny said:

A warm epsom salt bath before bed (bonus points if you take some epsom salt and gently rub it on your skin) is like being prepped for surgery. Instant sleep. IN-STANT.

Sorry, @MarieC1978 - I misunderstood your post then. I wasn't implying you were stupid at all, sorry if it came across that way. 

Absolutely no worries!  I am a no BS kinda person so my skin is super thick.  I wasn't implying you thought I was stupid...;), and I ain't mad at ya!  Sometimes written word can be heavily misconstrued, so I take everything with a grain of salt...buh dum tsss! I have Epsom salt, so a bath is in order tonight...I can even tell the Fam to leave me alone as I have been advised it is good for my health from those in the know!

• 8 months later...

Whole30 saved me from my gastroparesis issues. I was on Whole30 hard core for 45 days, and when I slowly did the food integration, I found out that I had soy intolerance which causes my stomach to get so inflamed. In those 45 days -- I did not experience any gastroparesis issues, and I kept a journal to see how I would be feeling. Mind you, I also take digestive enzymes and apple cider vinegar tablets every day to help with my gut health. I have been whole30 -- 80 to 90% commit for almost 2 years now and my Gastroparesis issues have went away completely. When I slack -- for like over a week or so, my symptoms will return and I am not a happy camper. This way of eating isn't for everyone, but for me it was a solution for a problem I've had for years. It requires you to always consistently be on top of your eating habits; however, I would take this micro managing of eating over being sick for as long as I was with GP. I lived with GP for years not knowing what it was, and all the books I've read and implement some of those recommendations left me nutrient deficient. My GP never got so bad that I had to have tubing put inside of me, but there were plenty of hospital visits with stomach infections as a result. I would not live any other way anymore -- yes that Yakitori, pizza, and those sour patch kids candy look so great -- I'll have a bite of it to satiate my taste buds or even a slice -- but that's about it.  Anything beyond that that goes into habbit, will wreak havoc on my stomach. 

I'm glad Whole30 has allowed me to find a way to live again. 

Archived