Bulletproof coffee??

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that's what I thought. I've been putting a tablespoon of coconut oil into my coffee here and there for years but without lots of stirring and drinking it fast, it just ends up as an oil slick on top. Good way to get in extra fat but not particularly delicious. :-)

Using coconut oil (actually macadamia oil these days) and a blender makes a wonderful creamy bp coffee with no oil slick. I love it.

And ghee...the oil with ghee. Can't edit my post on tapatalk.

And ghee...the oil with ghee. Can't edit my post on tapatalk.

Very green to this so I need to clarify- you mix ghee and coconut oil in with coffee in a blender? I don't have ghee. Will it not work if I use just the coconut oil? TIA!

It wont have the same creaminess but it might be better than just stirring it in. Here is my crazy routine. I put my water on to boil. Then I take my blender cup and coffee mug and run hot water in them so they aren't cold. Then I put my oil and ghee in the heated blender cup when the water is coming to a boil. I put my coffee filter holder right on top of my blender and make my drip coffee right in it. Then I take a cloth and put it over the blender lid...do this..to catch the coffee that spurts out when I first pulse it. Then I let it rip for 60-90 seconds. Happiness in a mug. :0)

coconut oil is the most important ingredient...I use clarified butter... (Strained multiple times)

Once I started drinking it ( in the am after meal 1 on the way to work) I stopped having cravings and hunger pangs, and didn't need coffee the rest of the day. ( I was a dawn to dusk coffee drinker)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bulletproof coffee!

Add a 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder and it's a whole different game, friends. I'm an addict. At least we've switched to decaf.

Omg...I am doing it tomorrow. After 100 days of no coffee, I now drink decaf too. :0)

Robin- I am so happy? Relieved? That you also appreciate bulletproof coffee! Every chance I get I am pushing it as the best thing since homemade mayo! ( almost said ...sliced bread😣)

For anyone on the fence about BP coffee...

Doing my first whole 30 is by far the smartest choice... I've followed through with ... And I really feel BP coffee helped me tackle my "eating" issues (grazing, drinking my calories,), lessened my dependence on caffeine, (I was drinking 8-10 cups of coffee, and up to 4 Monsters every day..I'm guessing I ate more food in april then I did in the six months leading up to my whole 30!) Now I'm DONE drinking coffee by 830 am, my mood and energy are stable and steady, (not quite tiger blood... But close!), and my new normal is heading to bed before the 9 o'clock news starts...(tonight I am suffering through dairy re-intro and can't sleep.... ) It helped me slay my coffee dragon ( and sugar dragon),so I was able to focus on eating and enjoying three super delicious, nutrient dense, whole 30 meals (without cravings or hunger pangs) ,and experience all the benefits of doing a whole 30. (Fat adapted, weight loss,clear skin, bright eyes, stable mood, quality sleep,increased energy)

Doing a whole 30 with bulletproof coffee in my opinion .... was easy!

Cocoa...? Oh my! Couldn't imagine a better bulletproof coffee! Can't wait for my morning commute!

I will note, that this is not something to drink 6 cups of each morning. The fat, combined with the caffeine (if you drink caff) is quite a punch and the added fat will keep you from being hungry for meal 2 if you drink it all morning long. Go for one cup (or two if you're adventurous) and then start packing away your water for the day :)

Can someone please catch me up to speed on what bulletproof coffee is and how I can make it? Is the recipe in ISWF? I'm a coffee drinker, and while I don't oversweeten it, I do use 2 splenda's with each cup (I'm not starting W30 until next Tuesday, just FYI)... so I'm trying to find some creative ways to flavor my coffee since drinking it black tastes like tar to me. Haha... Any other ways to flavor up a cup of coffee along with this bulletproof coffee?

I don't use an exact recipe, ( or the official recipe) and I don't measure precisely ( and this morning, thanks to Robin, my bulletproof coffee now contains cocoa!)

I take a spoonful of coconut oil (I prefer Trader Joe's...) and a spoonful of clarified butter, and a bit of cocoa, ( a small heap on the handle of the spoon) add coffee ( the best I find and afford) and blend until a layer of frothy goodness appears. ( 10-20 seconds ) it isn't sweet, but it is dreamy!

I normally drink one after meal one on my way to work...and don't need coffee/caffeine the rest of the day.

I don't use an exact recipe, ( or the official recipe) and I don't measure precisely ( and this morning, thanks to Robin, my bulletproof coffee now contains cocoa!)

I take a spoonful of coconut oil (I prefer Trader Joe's...) and a spoonful of clarified butter, and a bit of cocoa, ( a small heap on the handle of the spoon) add coffee ( the best I find and afford) and blend until a layer of frothy goodness appears. ( 10-20 seconds ) it isn't sweet, but it is dreamy!

I normally drink one after meal one on my way to work...and don't need coffee/caffeine the rest of the day.

And you're using hot coffee? (Might sound like a lame question, but I'm good at over-thinking things so I ask a lot of questions sometimes)...

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Ohh, I've had it with just coconut oil, but mixing it with ghee and cocoa sounds lovely.

Do people eat this in lieu of meal 1, or in addition to? Use it to get in the fat serving?

Never in place of meal one (while on W30) and really, you shouldnt drink it before meal one because it is filling. I usually start my meal one and sip on my BP coffee and savor the remainder of it after my meal. It nicely covers you for the fat portion though and is lovely with HB or poached eggs. :0)

Add a 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder and it's a whole different game, friends. I'm an addict. At least we've switched to decaf.

OK, of everything I've read, this makes me the most dubious. Really? Both oil & butter in your coffee? And you're telling me it's delicious?

@Robin, cocoa's allowed on w30? Seems like it feeds into the sugar dragon, even if it's unsweeted.

OK, of everything I've read, this makes me the most dubious. Really? Both oil & butter in your coffee? And you're telling me it's delicious?

@Robin, cocoa's allowed on w30? Seems like it feeds into the sugar dragon, even if it's unsweeted.

The cocoa is more of a seasoning like cinnamon. If you feel it may bring up visions of brownies, then dont use it. I am a huge fan of chocolate desserts but I drink cocoa tea and it does nothing to my dessert dragon. Yes, BP coffee is so awesome. I dont have it often because I gave up coffee for 100 days and now it is sn occasional treat that I only have in BP form.

What Susan said. If this is going to have you pining for a chocolate bar, steer clear by all means. However, for most folks, chocolate flavor without added sugar is not nearly as enjoyable. I find that the cocoa balances the acidity of the coffee and the creaminess of the fats just perfectly.

Archived