Bulletproof coffee??

I will be shaking my first one up tomorrow morning (so in about 11 hours). How much ghee did you put in Susan?

And I think we have officially hijacked this coffee thread. Sorry everyone else

Hijackings like this sometimes lead to the most delicious discoveries. :)

The Tibetan recipe (according to Mahatma Google) called for 1 TBS butter and 1/3 cup half and half or milk for 4 cups of tea. So...since I used all ghee and 2 cups of tea, I used 2 TBS of ghee. This morning I used a heaping Tbs of ghee and a pinch of pink Himilayan sea salt (again because Mahatma Google said to) and I used my little twirly stick thing from Ikea. It worked great and about a 10 second clean up. Delicious!!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hijackings like this sometimes lead to the most delicious discoveries. :)

The Tibetan recipe (according to Mahatma Google) called for 1 TBS butter and 1/3 cup half and half or milk for 4 cups of tea. So...since I used all ghee and 2 cups of tea, I used 2 TBS of ghee. This morning I used a heaping Tbs of ghee and a pinch of pink Himilayan sea salt (again because Mahatma Google said to) and I used my little twirly stick thing from Ikea. It worked great and about a 10 second clean up. Delicious!!!

I was going to pop in and say 'add salt' when someone mentioned ghee just didn't do it for them in BP coffee. Glad you discovered it! I might just be making this tea now. I already have one of those 'battery powered whirly things' you speak of. :wub: The brand is Bon Jour (non rechargable one is best) and it cost me $20. Shaking probably does a pretty good job. Reuse and old mason jar or glass jar from tomatoes.

I was going to pop in and say 'add salt' when someone mentioned ghee just didn't do it for them in BP coffee. Glad you discovered it! I might just be making this tea now. I already have one of those 'battery powered whirly things' you speak of. The brand is Bon Jour (non rechargable one is best) and it cost me $20. Shaking probably does a pretty good job. Reuse and old mason jar or glass jar from tomatoes.

I thought I got mine at Ikea but the brand name is aerolatte so I think it was an Amazon purchase. I remember it was $20. Still going strong on its original batteries and frothed it nicely. I forgot to add co. Tomorrow...unless I decide to have a second cup with lunch. :0)

Ok, big shake combined everything pretty nicely, have a film of paler stuff up top now though. I think perhaps I didn't put in enough ghee, or salt, as it's not all that flavoursome - but the mouth feel is nice. You reckon coconut oil as well Susan?

Will try again at lunch time :D

Ok, big shake combined everything pretty nicely, have a film of paler stuff up top now though. I think perhaps I didn't put in enough ghee, or salt, as it's not all that flavoursome - but the mouth feel is nice. You reckon coconut oil as well Susan?

Will try again at lunch time

I am trying 1 Tbs ghee and 1 Tbs CO tomorrow. Maybe the shake shake thing doesn't immulsify it enough?

Yes, you can totally get away with a cheapie IB. But wait...I'd better try mine tomorrow. I've only done my blender and my small whirly stick thing. I'll use my immersion blender tomorrow. So far, my blender is my favorite method. It makes it creamy and smooth all the way through and makes a foam to float on the top. :wub:

Here's my small whirly stick thing:

http://www.amazon.com/HIC-Harold-Import-Co-56AL3SAT/dp/B0002KZUNK/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1369536523&sr=1-2&keywords=aerolatte

Ohhh. My magic bullet has just about bit the dust after years of use and I was wondering if I should replace it with something else. I already have a mincer and a ninja but those would be bulky for making coffee.

I do love how pretty my bullet coffee looks! All creamy with that thick foam on top. :wub:

Yes, you can totally get away with a cheapie IB. But wait...I'd better try mine tomorrow. I've only done my blender and my small whirly stick thing. I'll use my immersion blender tomorrow. So far, my blender is my favorite method. It makes it creamy and smooth all the way through and makes a foam to float on the top. :wub:

http://www.amazon.com/HIC-Harold-Import-Co-56AL3SAT/dp/B0002KZUNK/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1369536523&sr=1-2&keywords=aerolatte

http://www.amazon.co...words=aerolatte

Anxiously awaiting the report on the immersion blender. I've not tried this yet because I have no desire to clean my actual blender every day just for a cup of coffee.

Anxiously awaiting the report on the immersion blender. I've not tried this yet because I have no desire to clean my actual blender every day just for a cup of coffee.

Having it in about an hour with my second meal. :0) I will report back for sure!!

Okay, success!!! I made the tea very strong and put 1 TBS liquid CO and 1 TBS Ghee and used my Breville Immersion blender. Worked perfectly. Smooth and creamy with a bit of a foam on top. If it works for butter tea, it will work for BP coffee for sure. :)

I would say the little twirly stick is adequate, but not the same as using a blender or an immersion blender.

I just tried ghee for my bp coffee.

Ick. What little foam it had almost instantly disipitated. Texture was greasy. I dumped 1/2 and added more coffee and a bit of kerrygold to rescue it.

I'd rather do CO than Ghee. :(

The ghee won't be wasted tho. I'll use it to cook with if nothing else.

But am saddened it looks like I won't be making compliant bp coffee any time soon.

Oh and did you use your immersion blender right in the coffee mug?

I just tried ghee for my bp coffee. Ick. What little foam it had almost instantly disipitated. Texture was greasy. I dumped 1/2 and added more coffee and a bit of kerrygold to rescue it. I'd rather do CO than Ghee. :( The ghee won't be wasted tho. I'll use it to cook with if nothing else. But am saddened it looks like I won't be making compliant bp coffee any time soon. Oh and did you use your immersion blender right in the coffee mug?

I use half CO and half ghee. I think the flavor is fabulous. The foam doesn't last like it does on a capp at a coffee shop. It's still plesant though.

My breville IB is too big for even my biggest coffee mug, so I used the container that came with it and then pour it into my heated coffee mug.

So this morning I completely forgot I was supposed to be whisking and my eyes lit upon a big empty bottle with a lid. I brewed my tea in the mug to get the quantity right, tipped it into the bottle and added a spoonful each of ghee and coconut oil and a pinch of salt. It shook up really well and I have a nice layer of bubbly creaminess on top of my tea.

At first I wasn't wild about the taste. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.

Had a couple of sips and ate my breakfast. Have come back to tea and each sip tastes better than the last. Reading about butter tea, people say it's gross to start with and grows on you so I think perhaps we (well, Susan!) have come up with a really good variation!

Tomorrow morning I might try with more ghee - I don't think I put enough in yesterday.

I heated up my leftover coffee on a magic bullet container, then added about a teaspoon of ghee and a teaspoon of coconut manna and 1/4 t cocoa. I mixed it up again in the magic bullet.

Heaven. I couldn't believe how good it tastes.

Okay, success!!! I made the tea very strong and put 1 TBS liquid CO and 1 TBS Ghee and used my Breville Immersion blender. Worked perfectly. Smooth and creamy with a bit of a foam on top. If it works for butter tea, it will work for BP coffee for sure. :)

I would say the little twirly stick is adequate, but not the same as using a blender or an immersion blender.

Thanks for the report! I might give it a try tomorrow. With the immersion blender do you put it in the cup so it is sitting on the bottom or let it hover? I tried to use mine for mayo the other day and I wasn't sure and it didn't turn out.

Thanks for the report! I might give it a try tomorrow. With the immersion blender do you put it in the cup so it is sitting on the bottom or let it hover? I tried to use mine for mayo the other day and I wasn't sure and it didn't turn out.

I did it like mayo out of habit. When I moved it up it created the foam but also splashed a bit.

Beth you know to keep the stick down at the bottom when making mayo correct?

I did it like mayo out of habit. When I moved it up it created the foam but also splashed a bit.

Beth you know to keep the stick down at the bottom when making mayo correct?

I didn't know that. It didn't look like it was doing anything. I was trying to make the baconaisse from Practical Paleo and probably completely snuffed it by not letting the bacon fat cool after I melted it. The whole mess is in the fridge now and solid again. If I brought it to room temp and tried mixing it again might it be saved or should I just toss it? I sadly wasted 3 beautiful eggs if I have to toss it (1 didn't separate correctly).

I didn't know that. It didn't look like it was doing anything. I was trying to make the baconaisse from Practical Paleo and probably completely snuffed it by not letting the bacon fat cool after I melted it. The whole mess is in the fridge now and solid again. If I brought it to room temp and tried mixing it again might it be saved or should I just toss it? I sadly wasted 3 beautiful eggs if I have to toss it (1 didn't separate correctly).

I tossed mine but others have saved theirs.

Archived