Bulletproof coffee??

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't decide if I like it. Wimped out this morning and am back to tea with coconut milk.

Think I'll try again tomorrow with just plain ghee.

Lol..I have mixed emotions as well. I may love it but not positive.

I didn't know that. It didn't look like it was doing anything. I was trying to make the baconaisse from Practical Paleo and probably completely snuffed it by not letting the bacon fat cool after I melted it. The whole mess is in the fridge now and solid again. If I brought it to room temp and tried mixing it again might it be saved or should I just toss it? I sadly wasted 3 beautiful eggs if I have to toss it (1 didn't separate correctly).

Did it work?

Yes, you keep it at the bottom almost the entire time. Pulse pulse over and over. You'll see the mayo forming at the bottom. Google youtube immersion blender. There is a guy that may be Mark Bittman (sounds like him) who has a great little video.

I think it's also worth noting that (depending on how much Ghee/CO you use) you can also be ingesting several hundred calories of fat in liquid form. Not that you should be counting on a W30, but it's something to be aware of. Also,if post-W30 you're doing an IF, it will break it. Not as badly as a steak and mashed yams, but it will break it nonetheless. For me it falls under the category of "pushing more nutritious foods off my plate", and I veer away from BP coffee.

I love it, and it rejuvenates me after a long night so well that if I have an exam I'll have a cup or two, but other than that I go black nowadays.

I think it's also worth noting that (depending on how much Ghee/CO you use) you can also be ingesting several hundred calories of fat in liquid form. Not that you should be counting on a W30, but it's something to be aware of. Also,if post-W30 you're doing an IF, it will break it. Not as badly as a steak and mashed yams, but it will break it nonetheless. For me it falls under the category of "pushing more nutritious foods off my plate", and I veer away from BP coffee.

I love it, and it rejuvenates me after a long night so well that if I have an exam I'll have a cup or two, but other than that I go black nowadays.

We actually already spoke about the fact that it is important to have it with a meal so it is the fat and it pushes nothing off the plate.

I must have missed that - definitely a good point. I think a problem for me is that, while all the liquid fat makes it something that I can't drink more than a mug or two of, it's not filling in the same way that a more solid fat is and I end up drinking it in addition to any other fat.

Did it work?

Yes, you keep it at the bottom almost the entire time. Pulse pulse over and over. You'll see the mayo forming at the bottom. Google youtube immersion blender. There is a guy that may be Mark Bittman (sounds like him) who has a great little video.

My baconnaise got a little thicker but it still looks oily on top. I didn't try the bulletproof coffee this morning because I couldn't remember the ratios and my phone was being rude. I usually drink a 12 oz cup of black coffee in the morning so it sounds like I would add 1 tbs of butter/ghee and 1 tbs of coconut oil? Is that right?

My baconnaise got a little thicker but it still looks oily on top. I didn't try the bulletproof coffee this morning because I couldn't remember the ratios and my phone was being rude. I usually drink a 12 oz cup of black coffee in the morning so it sounds like I would add 1 tbs of butter/ghee and 1 tbs of coconut oil? Is that right?

Yes that is what I do. My coffee mug holds more like 16oz so maybe you want to use a little less? I tried using a much smaller amount one time and it didn't work nearly as well. Sort of like trying to use less oil in a vinaigrette. Just doesnt work. Not sure what happens if you use more fat to coffee. Probably just more yumminess. :0)

I always have mine at the end of my meal, and usually it's because my meal isn't fatty enough.

I made a version I really like this morning: coffee, coconut cream and coconut oil. Emulsified nicely, very fluffy looking, like a latte. Tasted great and didn't split.

Ok, I've read this topic over the last few days and, though I generally like my coffee black, thought that maybe, someday I would try a bulletproof coffee. Well, I should say try it again because I have tried butter just stirred into my coffee. *blek* And I've also tried coconut oil and coconut milk. *meh*

But this morning, about an hour after breakfast, I was feeling inexplicably hungry. Tried to ignore it. Knew it was probably attributed to hormone ickiness. Knew it was probably also influenced by the fact that I'm at home today and not distracted by the usual busy office stuff. However, the hunger pangs just wouldn't go away and so I thought maybe... it was time.

So taking all of the suggestions I've read in this thread, I brewed a mugful of coffee on my trusty Keurig, dumped a rounded tablespoon of Kerrygold and a similar sized helping of coconut oil into the canister of my immersion blender, added the coffee and blended away. Poured it back into my mug, took a sip and Oh.My.Goodness. YUM. YUM. YUM. Hunger pangs gone.

This could be dangerous. I need to remind myself that I DO like my coffee black. But I'm definitely going to remember this for the next hormonally bonkers day!

Thanks for all the info on this thread!

I took the Bulletproof coffee plunge this morning too. I definitely like the taste and the texture but I think it is a bit heavy for an everyday thing. I think I'll save it for the mornings where I know I'll have a long time before my next meal or that I'm having a lighter breakfast.

I took the Bulletproof coffee plunge this morning too. I definitely like the taste and the texture but I think it is a bit heavy for an everyday thing. I think I'll save it for the mornings where I know I'll have a long time before my next meal or that I'm having a lighter breakfast.

I enjoy a bp about once a week if that. BP every other Saturday seems to be a fun thing at my house.

I enjoy a bp about once a week if that. BP every other Saturday seems to be a fun thing at my house.

I think I'm going to make it a Sunday treat as I usually eat lunch late on Sunday. I might try the blending method with some coconut milk as I never liked coconut milk in coffee before but mostly because of the separating thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm checking this out, based on a referral by a friend, and the recipe I have calls for MCT oil - with the ghee, and of course, the really expensive, upgraded coffee.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

My husband uses the ghee - but when I do, I have dairy reactions. So, where he uses ghee, I use CO.

Here's my question - Can I make BP coffee with just CO?  And, has anyone tried it with the MCT oil('6 times stronger than coconut oil')

TIA!

I've been reading through this thread and finally got up and made my own BP coffee with ghee and CO. Something occurred to me when I was making it; I am typically a Guinness drinker. People who say they can't take the bitterness of Guinness, I usually tell "You have to accept it on its own terms, don't think about how it doesn't taste like what you are used to." It occurs to me that the same goes for this. Black or BP coffee is my Whole30 Guinness. And 100% less likely to result in unplanned karaoke.  :D

I'm checking this out, based on a referral by a friend, and the recipe I have calls for MCT oil - with the ghee, and of course, the really expensive, upgraded coffee.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

My husband uses the ghee - but when I do, I have dairy reactions. So, where he uses ghee, I use CO.

Here's my question - Can I make BP coffee with just CO?  And, has anyone tried it with the MCT oil('6 times stronger than coconut oil')

TIA!

If you have a small frother or hand held blender, using just coconut oil works well.  I used to do it that way.  I haven't bought the MCT oil but I think I might.  I just use full fat coconut milk every morning.  Emulsifying is key.  

I thought I wasn't going to be able to drink coffee at all on the Whole30 because I tried it black and just oh nooo did not taste good, espically since I didn't have the best coffee in the first place, but I tried the bulletproof coffee today and WOW! it was so good!!

I add just a tsp of cocnut oil and a tsp of cocoa powder! and then blend in my little blender! Why did I never know about this is make it frothy and delish I think I might like it better than coffee creamer in the first place!! So glad I read this thread yesterday!! :)

I am on Day 3!!

I have been told by folks that use bp coffee for adhd and some cognitive disorders that the real bullet proof effect comes with using the MCT coconut oil.

I did make mine the other day, with a ninja - no ghee - and it was very nice.  I think I needed more, and I bought some cocoa to get the almond joy kind of effect! ;-)

I'm checking into the MCT stuff mentioned on the bulletproof website.

After reading this thread last night I though I had to give this a go so this morning so I did 2 large size shots from the Nespresso, 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil, 1 Teaspoon Macadamia Oil, 1/2 Teaspoon of Cacoa Powder and a dash of cinnamon into the vitamix for a blend and Oh My YUMMMMMMM I think I have a new favourite morning treat to have with my eggs and veggies.  :P

After reading this thread last night I though I had to give this a go so this morning so I did 2 large size shots from the Nespresso, 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil, 1 Teaspoon Macadamia Oil, 1/2 Teaspoon of Cacoa Powder and a dash of cinnamon into the vitamix for a blend and Oh My YUMMMMMMM I think I have a new favourite morning treat to have with my eggs and veggies.  :P

Sounds great! I :wub: my nespresso

Archived