Smoked chicken ok?

AmyL44

Hey everyone,

So, I'm looking for a substitute for chicken sausages (I live in Australia and it seems all our sausages are always made with the addition of rice flour, soy in some form etc., very annoying!) for a recipe and I was wondering if smoked chicken would be ok?

I'm assuming some undesirable ingredients may be used in the making of it but I was wondering if I peeled off the skin and just ate the meat, I'd be avoiding these dodgy ingredients?

I guess this would apply to pre-cooked BBQ chicken you buy from the store as well?

Thanks in advance guys,

Amy :)

Yes, I have to say I think they would soak through but I'd check what the actual ingredients are first. I mean most smoked salmon contains sugar but it is possible to get it without and some liquid smokes are complaint, I use one when I'm making jerky so I'd ask exactly what the ingredients are before I wrote it off.

Most places usually inject the meat, some do not. I wouldn't take the chance though, cause most use sugar in whatever they use to flavor. I would ask if the meat is injected or if they use a rub. I personally would not have a problem with removing the skin if a rub is used, as long as the meat hasn't been injected. Too many variables to consider.

Sorry I am tired and not making much sense.

Smoked chicken with compliant spices/herbs is fine, but the dodginess comes in with not know what else was used on the chicken. If you want to make your own smoked chicken, that would be best, because you can control what goes onto the chicken.

Hopefully someone who has had more sleep and knowledge will chime in later! :ph34r:

Archived