What's going on inside my body?!

Hello, I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me shed some light on what's going on inside my body! I have, for the last 3 years, had chronic stiff back, neck and shoulders which is usually associated with a general feeling of fatigue. I've had blood tests to rule out rheumatoid arthritis and also undergone short spells of treatment with a chiropractor, osteopath and an acupuncturist - none of which made any noticeable improvement. I try to eat paleo as much as possible but have to admit I do have some comfort eating tendencies which I generally try and fight with! I completed a Whole 30 earlier this year and although I did feel an improvement in my overall well-being my chronic stiffness/ pain was not improved. However, I noticed that for the first two weeks I was extra strict and included very little fruit and there was a point right in the middle where a noted a very slight feeling of lightness in my back which I haven't experienced in recent years. So, last month I decided upon a 21 day challenge to remove all sugar including all alcohol, fruit, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and anything along those lines. I stuck to meat, vegetables and fat - this worked!! I experienced almost 100% improvement in my symptoms and flexibility. I finish the challenge a couple of weeks ago and made myself a delicious paleo cake - everything remained fine. However, I have drunk alcohol since then and although I've tried to eat paleo 80% of the time I have eaten sugar and some gluten too. I know I should be satisfied with 'it just is' but I am interested to know what exactly is causing this reaction in my body? Also, is it just sugar and or fruit or could it be the alcohol? Does anybody else share these symptoms? Thanks, Francesca

It sounds to me like you've answered your own question-- your body has a problem with sugar. If the 21 day sugar detox eliminated your symtoms (assuming you didn't do anything else differently, like sleep in a new bed, take/stop a medication, etc.) then it sounds like that it a way of eating that you need to stick with. Your body metabolizes alcohol similarly to other sugars, so it would make sense that you would have a problem with both. It is not uncommon for your body to be able to deal with some foods that bother you in small doses (like having the paleo cake) but then you quickly come to a threshhold where your symptoms are back b/c there is more of the "toxin" in your system than your body can deal with. Sugar is known to cause inflammation in some people. Having said all of that, you are probably only going to get to the bottom of your problem by very carefully adding and eliminating foods sytematically while keeping track of your symptoms.

I hope someone else here has some more insight for you. Maybe a moderator will chime in, but that is my 2 cents.

The best way to find out is to go back onto your strict diet for a week or two, and then try adding one thing back for a few days, and see how you feel. Adding more than one thing at a time muddies the waters and makes it guess-work. It could be alcohol. It could be sugar. Fruit might be ok, or maybe only berries. The only way to know exactly what is ok for you and what is not is to try adding back one variable and only one at a time. Sorry, I know this will be time-consuming, but it's the only way I know to be sure. Good luck!

Thanks guys! Think I know deep down I'm going to have to go back to super-strict for a while, then reintroduce more slowly and carefully. I'm just a little worried that my symptoms may be a sign that I am following in the footsteps of my father who has Type II Diabetes. However, hopefully not and I can work out exactly what it is which is causing my strange set of symptoms. Thanks again, I shall update with my progress :)

Archived