All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Meliena

Starting October 1

@Yepa, it’s been said a couple of times before, the danger of eating fruit is mostly because it is our only access to sugar and can awaken our sugar dragon. So what is the reason you’re eating fruit? Is it because you’re fed up with veggies and want to mix it up, or because you are craving it? Maybe try leaving it out/eating it once a day instead of every meal for 2-3 days and see how you feel! And hooray for fitting in those jeans, keep it up!
  3. Today
  4. Tevenie

Tevenie's Whole30 Diary

Hello, so it seems I am not that great at keeping this up. The journal, I mean, not the Whole 30. Whole 30 is going great. I am not brilliant at getting the meals together as per the template and I have definitely snacked on fruit when I shouldn't but as Melissa says, there is no such thing as a perfect Whole 30. I have been completely compliant with all my food choices and I am feeling great today. Have a great day! Tevenie
  5. Yepa

Starting October 1

Halfway through and I am feeling good. Have gotten used to black coffee even. I have more energy and sleep well. I havent had any of the headache or grumpiness thankfully. I am getting bored with my meals tho but I am working it through. I have a small dorm size refrigerator with very limited freezer room so its difficult to stay diverse in my meat options. I know I eat a lot of vegetables but am a little worried that I actually am eating too much/many fruits. I have some with each meal, half apple or a few melon chunks. I did feel brave enough yesterday to try on some jeans that have been too tight to button - and surprise surprise - they fit nicely now.
  6. Probably the best way to know for sure would be to go back to whole30 eating until you feel good again, and then consider doing a modified reintroduction. Have gluten for several days, but keep everything else whole30, and see how you feel. If you start to feel bad again, then you probably have issues with gluten and need to really limit it. If you have it for several days and still feel good, gluten may not be the culprit, and you can go back to whole30 eating for a few days, then try dairy. Whatever happens, whichever food is the issue, you'll have to really consider if those foods are worth it to you if they make you feel awful.
  7. I actually finished my reintroduction almost a week ago. I didn’t seem to have any reaction to legumes (haven’t tried peanuts or soy yet), non-gluten grains, or dairy. After my gluten day, I got a headache, but I wasn’t sure if it was due to the gluten because I had had about 4 headaches throughout my 30 days, and not just in the first few days. That was one of the symptoms I was hoping whole30 would help with. I think I had less headaches on whole30, but I’m not sure because I didn’t keep track of them before whole30. Anyway, the day after reintroduction was over was my daughter’s birthday (Friday). I had pizza for supper and then ended up having birthday cake three days in a row! Then, on Sunday, I got two blemishes on my face which I didn’t have at all on whole30. Also, I had always been a bit on the constipated side since I have hypothyroidism, and I’m sure my diet didn’t help. That took until toward the end of whole 30 to improve, but I was doing pretty well. Then yesterday, I had a very hard BM with bleeding, and now am very sore and think I might have an anal fissure or something. (Sorry for the TMI.) That sort of thing didn’t really happen before I started whole30, except when pregnant or postpartum. So, obviously, my body doesn’t like something, and I’m afraid it’s gluten, and I don’t want it to be! I haven’t really had much dairy, but I have had quite a bit of gluten in the last few days, but less than I would have had before. I felt great during most of my reintroduction except the headache the night I had gluten. I’m trying to not eat too much of it, but I’ve missed it so! I don’t want to give up gluten entirely unless I really have to. What do you think I should do?
  8. Medowsweet

Add fat to fatty meat?

Should you still add a serving of fat when your meat is really fatty? I am making a big batch of chicken wings for breakfast and lunch, with skin on, pan fried in a few Tbs avacado oil. should I add a fat (such as sliced avocado or just eat with veggies and possibly a little fruit since they are already kinda a higher fat meat and fried? What about other fatty meat like lamb, or beef or pork with obvious fat oh the edges (don’t worry, I am definitely not afraid of fat! I eat lots of fat)
  9. Medowsweet

Veggie sauce/salad dressing

Had the ants on a log with lunch- they were soooo good!
  10. Yesterday
  11. Jihanna

Help with Sugar Withdrawals

I'm so sorry you're going through such bad sugar withdrawals... but I'll tell you straight-up that there's NO WAY I would've survived the first few days of my first W30 without OTC pain meds. Even if medication is a last resort, please don't make yourself miserable if you can't find relief with natural options. That said, some things you might want to try are... Temple/scalp/crown massage, especially if you can put your hands on some good essential oils. I typically mix a few drops each of rosemary, peppermint, and lavender into about a half-tablespoon of carrier oil, then massage that into my scalp and all around the "bony perimeter" of my head. This works even better for me if done right after a warm shower, so my scalp pores are open wide. Aromatherapy, either with a diffuser or by putting a few drops of essential oil on a piece of jewelry, at your wrists, etc. You can just Google "essential oils for sugar cravings" to get a ton of results. While I've never personally used my EOs to combat cravings, I do know a few people who have done so, and it's definitely helped them through the process. Skip fruits and any "sweet" veggies (like roasted sweet potatoes or butternut squash) for the first week or so. This might seem like it's counter-intuitive, but trust me when I say that it's so much harder to actually get past those cravings if you cater to them with a sweet food, even semi-sweet fruits and especially dried fruits. If the withdrawal is hitting you hard, I truly suggest hitting back with all you've got by backing away from anything that feeds your sugar dragon enough to keep it alive and kicking... starve the beast, then enjoy the fruits of your labor (pun intended) once it's sleeping. Also, keep reminding yourself that this is temporary. Not only is the program itself a relatively short-term thing, but your body's withdrawal symptoms should also be fairly short-term as long as you don't prolong the process (see the note above about skipping fruits and the like until your dragon is dreaming). You can do this, but yes it sucks while you're in the middle of the detox. This list is not intended to be exhaustive, but does include a few ideas that have helped me and a few of my friends. Good luck in finding something that helps take the edge off the cravings for you.
  12. ShannonM816

Help with Sugar Withdrawals

You can take medication if you need to, aspirin or tylenol or whatever you would normally take for headaches or minor aches and pains. Drinking plenty of water is a good thing. Be sure you salt your food. And be sure you're eating enough at each meal and making your meals match the meal template, including having some healthy fat in each meal. You can download the template here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/
  13. Hey ya'll ., Just started Whole30 and now I am officially on Day 2 but already the sugar withdrawals are killing me. I have a major migraine and feel completely out of it which I know is completely normal but something I am not used to - I rarely ever get headaches so I'm a huge baby. I've been trying to drink more water and it's helping a tad but I was wondering what else I should be doing? Will aspirin help? I don't like to take medication though so this would be last resort. Am hoping for a more natural solution. Here's what I have had so far: - Egg Casserole (w/ Whole30 compliant Turkey, Eggs, Yellow Pepper, Russet Potatoes, yellow onion) - Fajita Bowl (w/ leftover turkey, Cauliflower Rice, and Roasted red onions, bell peppers) - Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) with a can of whole tomatoes And I have had a banana for a snack since I got hungry after lunch and it was the only Whole30 compliant thing that my work had to offer. Thanks in advance for any advice given!!
  14. I think every ethnic group has a similar recipe. In North America there's the frittata, my Jewish friends enjoy latkes and in the Korean culture, there's Yachaejeon - I've had this where there's an egg cracked ontop and other times, flat with nori whipped into the batter. For every culture and every flatten egg like vegetable pancake I've ever eaten, there has never been one I have ever disliked. The basic principle is just use up any vegetable you have in the fridge that can be cut up into strips! Enjoy Ingredients - Makes one large 12 inch pancake About 3 cups of sliced vegetables 4 green onions, cut into 1 inch long ⅓ cup leek (optional), sliced thinly 1 inch long 1/2 cup zucchini matchsticks (about 1/2 cup) ⅓ cup white onion, sliced 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and sliced ⅓ cup sweet potato ⅓ cup fresh mushroom (white, baby portobello, or shiitake) Other Ingredients 1/2 cup potato flour ½ teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil ¾ cup water splash of vegetable oil Optional egg for more protein Dipping sauce 1 tablespoon coconut amino 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes, optional 1 teaspoon sesame seeds Directions: In a large bowl combine all vegetables and "other ingredients" Heat up a 12-inch non-stick pan over medium/high heat. Add 2 tbs of oil. Coat bottom evenly Once hot, add the batter and spread it out evenly Turn the heat down to medium and let cook for 4-5 minutes Once the bottom is light golden brown flip it over with a spatula Drizzle anther 1-2 tbs of oil down the edges of the pan to help brown the other side Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. If it is not cooked through, flip it over one more time for a couple of more minutes Sauce: While the pancake is cooking in a small bowl whip up the dipping sauce with all the ingredients and set aside. Cut the pancake into wedges and serve with dipping sauce. For optional protein I usually serve this with a sunny-side up egg and dip the pancake into the yolk. Yummy
  15. I'm so glad I found this! Like someone else mentioned, it's hard to find anything other than praise and a list of the benefits of coconut aminos. I've been doing AIP for the last 3 months or so and began to notice that sometimes after eating, my hands would swell and I would get a headache. I narrowed it down to whenever I ate the Asian style recipes and suspected either the fish sauce or coconut aminos. Of course, I decided it was probably the fish sauce since the coconut aminos are so healthy. My hands stopped swelling once I eliminated the fish sauce. I found a gluten-free Worcestershire sauce recipe (which calls for coconut aminos). I made a dish that called for two tablespoons of my homemade Worcestershire sauce and...every time I eat it, I get a headache and feel blah. I truly think I'm allergic to the coconut aminos and I'm flabbergasted! But I see that others experience other problematic symptoms so it doesn't feel so unbelievable now.
  16. SunshineBell

Whole30 Chinese Braised Pork Belly (Hong Shao Rou)

Hi Anhe, Thanks for looking at this recipe. I actually meant to say "select the one that looks the leanest." Sometime the fat to meat ratio is better on some cuts. Hope that helps.
  17. SunshineBell

Whole30 Ramen

Hi Saber89. Thanks so much for trying this recipe. It looks like a long process but its really not that bad. I'm so glad you liked this recipe. I made this 3 times during my Whole30. Yes, the sprouts + enoki mushrooms are a perfect replacement for the noodles. Stay tuned as I'll be putting up more Whole30 Asian food recipe.
  18. ElizabethG

Other brands of sparkling water

@KPHS grad I like to make my own by buying the no flavor added ones, and then adding 1 entire squeezed lime, or a splash of real, compliant fruit juice. Grapefruit is my favorite.
  19. ElizabethG

Starting October 1

Thanks All! Made it through a slump, and feeling great that we're 1/2 way there, but also missing my American kitchen. Luckily, I do have a crock pot and my trusty stick blender, so I'm not lacking homemade mayo, which is what gets me through this.
  20. slc_melissa

Possible pre-workout meal option?

Well, if you're post Whole-30, you can do whatever you want smoothie-wise. The bigger thing that stands out to be is that you have no protein in there. There seems to be two different recommendations on the website. From the meal planner pdf: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf They recommend Protein and Fat prior to a workout. (I'd say this is especially for like weight lifting type workouts.) There is also this article, which seems to be more geared towards long effort/high intensity type stuff (if the workout is more than 60 minutes at a continuous moderate to high intensity): https://whole30.com/whole30-pre-workout-post-workout/ They recommend Protein and some carbohydrates pre-workout. I think it's worth playing around with to find out what works best for you with what type of workout, but add some protein to it in either case.
  21. Yeah, I keep thinking that Whole30 is not that hard if you are already used to cooking homemade meals. At least that's how it felt for me. Still it's quite strict and in many senses it feels unnecessary for me, but I wanted to keep what I've learned (or most precisely what I've proven to myself, because most of my guidelines are based either common sense or quite well-known nutritional facts). And taking the time to write it down forced me to think carefully about them, also I expect that it helps me with accountability. The two excellent bites rules sounds great, but I'm not really sure if I can do that. See? That's harder for me, having something but not having the whole thing. Removing something completely is much easier than limiting the amount of it I can eat. Actually I'm not having dessert with most of my meals. And when I do it's because I don't feel full. Today I had a banana after lunch a a homemade plain unsweetened yoghurt after dinner, but that's pretty much all. I'm not into nut butters, but thanks for the recommendation anyway. My indulgence goes more towards black chocolate, which I love. Bitter one is working better for me at the moment - 90%-cocoa chocolate was too low, 99% was fine, I might try 95% and see how I react. And, about parents. I guess you get used to think everybody is (and should be) the way you are, so it's hard to digest that people you love do "weird" things such as quitting alcohol or sugar. (There is a saying in my language: familiarity breeds contempt.) I'm just trying not to lecture anyone on what I think they should be eating for a healthy lifestyle, because it would be exactly as annoying!
  22. I'm too old for the hormone train to run me over, so thankful for that! But I so agree with how much easier it is when you are following strict W30 rules than when we're flying solo! When people asked me about my W30 and exclaimed over how they could NEVER manage it, I always answered that it's not these 30 days that worry me, it's the 335 that follow. I love your guidelines above and doing much the same for myself. I lost 4 lb. during my W30 (day 30 was Sept. 10) and 3 more lb. since. I feel very good about that, this is very sustainable for me. One tip I learned elsewhere about guideline #7 (sweet treats) - the best bite is the first bite and the second best bite is the last bite, all other bites are just the ones in the middle. So limit yourself to 2 EXCELLENT bites! I pick apart my dessert serving until I have separated out the *perfect* bite and I savor it. Then I do that all again for my last bite. Yes, those 2 bites are pretty big bites, but not as big as the entire serving. Just wanted to share what is helping me! My biggest W30 benefit was getting over thinking I needed dessert at every meal and tricking my sweet tooth into thinking things are sweet that I did not think of as sweet before, like plain almond butter and dates. If you have this in your area, look for Kalot Superfood nut butters. THEY ARE WORTH THE MONEY! As long as I don't fall back into the habit of finishing each meal with a serving... Here I would like to say "Bless your heart!" and me, too - except my parents have a problem with alcohol, not desserts. It's like I've grown a tail and whiskers when I say no thank you to a beer, wine or cocktail. They are flabbergasted that non-drinkers exist. I started pouring myself a glass of Kombucha to carry around and sip. They finally left me alone when I told them this is a fermented tea. I guess the term "fermented" put them at ease... Cheer to us! We're killing this!!
  23. I'm starting on October 20, so right around then. I too am a little apprehensive about the reintro phase, so I looked at the slow roll recommendations on this site and mapped it all out in my calendar. That made my OCD a little less tingly.
  24. MadyVanilla

First Journal

Day 17 Energy - 9, pain - 1. Hip is bothering me some today. I finally made an appointment with my chiropractor, but won't be able to see her until next week. Maybe she'll have an answer for this hip/thigh/knee thing that doesn't seem to be related to osteoarthritis. B-leftover hash L-Chicken salad and cucumber slices D-chicken Balinese salad Yoga class tonight.
  25. I'm so glad you're back and better! I haven't been sick like that in a long time but it took me a long time to recover afterwards. My stomach stayed queasy and just felt really delicate for a couple of months. That sucks about your tinnitus flare; hopefully it will fade quickly. After being sick for so long, it sounds like you did a pretty good job of getting yourself fed. Some good bone broth might be a kind thing to do to your inflammed gut. Don't you do Kettle and Fire? I've never tried them but they sound delicious. The party was fun and the food was delicious. We set up the fire pit near one of the doors to the house and just kept the door open for everyone to wander in and out. It made the deck seem like an extension of the house and it worked really well. We didn't get to bed until after midnight and managed to sleep in a little but not enough so Sunday was a little rough. I was so, so tired but I managed to finish cooking the last of the bell peppers from the garden and dried some more poblano peppers- I guess now they're technically ancho chiles. It's fun to make a big batch of chili in the middle of the winter and use our chile powder. I've been brining a brisket for the last week and got it seasoned up so it becomes pastrami instead of corned beef. This afternoon it will go in the smoker then it gets steamed to finish the cooking process. It will make lots of leftovers so that will be nice to have in the freezer. The freezer has been saving my butt the last few days but I'm running low on vegetable-y things. I roasted two sheet pans of sweet potato, peppers, onions and broccoli last night to go with the chicken that I finally got cooked so that will hold me for a couple of days but I definitely need to restock. Since I haven't done much cooking the last week or two, my fridge is looking pretty good and cleaned out/up. I need to do the same thing with my pantry. It's not very big and it's stuffed full. I love being able to use the last little bit of something up and get it out so I need to apply that to my pantry. Most of my problem is bulk bags of herbs & spices and containers of spice blends. It's a work in progress! Take it easy and definitely indulge in some self care; you deserve it!
  26. GraceMelodie

Starting October 1

@ElizabethG I made this recipe last week and omitted the honey to make it compliant: https://www.feastingathome.com/oaxacan-lamb-barbacoa/ It was really delicious and features Mexican ingredients. Try looking up traditional Mexican recipes and swapping some ingredients to make them Kosher & compliant.
  27. Hi there, I'm back! Yikes, that was a trip I don't care to repeat. I picked up a stomach bug, not sure what kind. I managed to stay hydrated, though, and Sunday was the first day it felt safe to eat solid food, so I was back to work today. The lasting bummer, though, is that on day 3 or 4 my tinnitus spiked up real bad, so badly that my hearing is impaired and muffled. I think it was from acetaminophen that i took twice on Wed, and twice again on Thursday to treat headache. Puking your brains out does cause a headache. Now tinnitus. WOE. I saw the doctor about it today, and she finds my theory plausible. Woe. Woe. I didn't know, and now I will NOT be using acetaminophen or NSAIDS unless it's awfully severe, because this tinnitus really sucks. The doc said it can be very slow to go down. So again, I am calling on myself for patience and self care. Oh, no, we didn't lose power, and the only fires have been prescribed burns in the Park so that is something! How was your Italian themed party on Saturday? Sounds fun! I like what you all are doing in November to scale down! I think learning to lighten the load is a great skill, and an especially helpful one as we get older - let it Go, let it Go, right? I'll take notes from here and follow suit! ...books are a big one for us...hubs does not want to part with books, and I get it, but I could see doing a big purge. It's the family stuff that always gets me - what to do with all of that? Oh, I think popcorn popped in ghee is a fine treat! What else have you been cooking? Are your freezer goodies holding out? Holly, in a way getting a stomach bug and that radical 6 days of nothing but diluted Gatorade was kind of a re-set for me. I had hit a new all time low. Even though it is NOT fun to be sick, I let myself enjoy the feeling of lightness in my gut (even though it was also inflamed at the same time) and believe me, I have been searching my soul for what to do now. I'm thinking: smaller portions and keep the body moving! So because I had been too sick to cook or plan for what's next, I went right back into the frying pan of work with no idea what I would eat, and after my 9am doc appointment I picked up at the store salami, Ak Maks, micro greens (oh, craving something green) and a little tub of more-or-less decent guacamole. It held me for breakfast and lunch. At dinner I ate a salmon burger with a little homemade mayo and a pile of olives. I will be limping along like this tomorrow, too, and then shopping on Wednesday, and a cook up that night. Back in a W30 direction! Onward!!
  1. Load more activity